Harsha85

Sponsorship for DV Winner

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Sri Lanka
Timeline

Hi All,

I won DV 2019 lottery recently and already submitted the DS260.

Could you kindly confirm the sponsorship requirement for the Green Card? I have roughly about $50,000 which i am planning to bring to US, in case i get the Visa. However i read in many articles that, i still need a sponsorship from US Citizen or Green Card Holder. Is this true?

Can i show them a Job Offer letter from US Employer with the funds i have in bank account to show them i am capable of living in US without public funds?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

In most cases they do not ask for a US sponsor, unless you are a large family unit and have a marginal education/job history.  You should be fine.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

Hi NigeriaorBust,

Thanks for the quick reply.

My familiy unit include only three members(Me, My Wife and Kid). I have 11 years of experience in three different countries and Masters degree in Artificial Intelligence. 

Do you think, its better for me to talk to embassy and confirm this?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You didn't state a country of origin in the your profile.  It is kind of a regional thing but even then you should be fine.  I know a few from Nigeria have been asked for one ( back when they were still in the lottery)  but they general had the only a high school degree and no savings.  

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

26 minutes ago, Harsha85 said:

Hi All,

I won DV 2019 lottery recently and already submitted the DS260.

Could you kindly confirm the sponsorship requirement for the Green Card? I have roughly about $50,000 which i am planning to bring to US, in case i get the Visa. However i read in many articles that, i still need a sponsorship from US Citizen or Green Card Holder. Is this true?

Can i show them a Job Offer letter from US Employer with the funds i have in bank account to show them i am capable of living in US without public funds?

Sponsorship requests are relatively infrequent and usually for people who cannot otherwise show that they can support themselves. Your own financial circumstances (savings around double the annual poverty guideline for your family size) plus job prospects should be more than adequate on their own. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline

Hi All,

I had a chat with U.S. Embassy in Colombo and they confirmed that i need a Sponsorship even i show $50K. I dont have anybody in US who can sponsor, as all my friends are on Student Visa, Work Permits.  :(

A Winner from Sri Lanka has 0.86% chance of winning the lottery and still need a sponsorship. If Mr.President aware of the difficulty of obtaining the Green Card via DV, even after winning the lottery, he wouldnt cancel the DV Program. :) 

You know, there was a case when Morocco required affidavit of support from everyone regardless of circumstances for DV. Someone took them to court or appealed up uscis or something (I don’t remember the details)and got that overturned. I’m not sure that’s an option for you, but it’s a damn shame that the consulate has that requirement when it’s totally unnecessary. 

• 5 months later...
Timeline

Hi BenjaminMorgan,

I actually found a sponsor, therefore didnt check this further. However when i spoke to Home Office, they mentioned that its upto individual consular offices to decide the process. 

1 hour ago, BenjaminMorgan said:

That's great to hear that you found a sponsor Harsha85. Since now you have a sponsor i guess you don't have to show your own wealth, do you?

Showing you won’t be a public charge doesn’t mean you necessarily have to have significant financial or other assets. Being able to work to support yourself is usually quite sufficient. Unsure why Sri Lanka seems to be difficult in this regard. Are you also interviewing there?

Timeline
On 11/5/2018 at 12:08 AM, SusieQQQ said:

Showing you won’t be a public charge doesn’t mean you necessarily have to have significant financial or other assets. Being able to work to support yourself is usually quite sufficient. Unsure why Sri Lanka seems to be difficult in this regard. Are you also interviewing there?

yes, i have no clue what is the purpose of this requirement. However Homeoffice was careful not to comment on this, but rather mentioned that its upto consulate to lay down the rules.

I have Masters Degree in Artificial Intelligence and have been working for IT Industry for last ten+ years. Also i have my own consulting business in Sri Lanka with subsidiary registered in US. 

But still they need a sponsor for me. :)  As i heard, they dont accept my personal funds as well. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.