47 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi all,

Am I going to come across any issues when trying to go to Cuba for a holiday??

I understand I need to apply for my AP and all that.

I currently have my EAD but I am still waiting to get confirmation on a date for my green card.

Thanks! 

Filed: Timeline

There are severe restrictions for US citizens and green card holders to travel to Cuba.

As a non-USC and non-LPR, you are free to travel to Cuba.

As a person seeking to become a US LPR, you are taking some risk to travel to Cuba.  Is even a small risk worth taking a holiday?

It can also have an impact on your citizenship application later on, if you are planning to take that route. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Tourist travel to Cuba is generally illegal. Your purpose for travel must fall into one of 12 specifically defined categories:

https://cu.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/traveling-to-cuba/

family visits;

official business of the U.S. government, foreign governments, and certain intergovernmental organizations;

journalistic activity;

professional research and professional meetings;

educational activities;

religious activities;

public performances, clinics, workshops, athletic and other competitions, and exhibitions;

support for the Cuban people;

humanitarian projects;

activities of private foundations or research or educational institutes;

exportation, importation, or transmission of information or informational materials; and certain authorized export transactions.

Beach holidays or sightseeing are not permitted. 

Timeline in brief:

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I am a USC and went to Cuba not long after they lifted the " Ban" on travel. Had to fill out a simple form and said I was going for educational purposes to study the history of the Cuban People. Just a simple letter to get in, and when you buy your ticket there is mandatory insurance you have to buy. sometimes it is included in the ticket price, sometimes it isn't. It should be around 30 dollars. Also as a note any US based credit cards will not work there, nor will ATM cards, so you are stuck traveling with cash, not a big problem for some, as I have traveled with cash in less hospitable countries, but it is something to consider. Was a cool trip, and I had a good time, finally got a real Mojito LOL, but if it would jeopardize your USC application later I wouldn't do it. But if you need any travel info let me know. I used Spirit Airlines when I went. It was just them and Frontier that went there, but I believe they have stopped going there because there wasn't that much of a demand for it. Maybe they have restarted, but I don't think so, so finding a flight out of the US there may be difficult.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Timeline
26 minutes ago, JFH said:

It can also have an impact on your citizenship application later on, if you are planning to take that route. 

How so? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 hour ago, Isabella_NZ said:

Hi all,

Am I going to come across any issues when trying to go to Cuba for a holiday??

I understand I need to apply for my AP and all that.

I currently have my EAD but I am still waiting to get confirmation on a date for my green card.

Thanks! 

How come you did not get AP with EAD.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Probably he did not apply for it.  Sometimes people think they don't need to apply for it since they don't have plans to travel. It's always good to do it anyways since it's free. You never know when you have an emergency and then its too late to apply.

Filed: Timeline

The travel restriction applies to everyone under US jurisdiction; regardless of citizenship or nationality.

The BIA held “that an alien who has left and returned to the United States under a grant of advance parole has not made a 'departure' … from the United States” within the meaning of section 212(a)(9)(B)(i)(II) of the Act.” p. 779.  http://myattorneyusa.com/traveling-on-advance-parole-with-adjustment-of-status-pending

If a person using AP has not made a departure from the US, then it's possible that this person is still under the US jurisdiction and subject to the travel restrictions.

Traveling to Cuba for a holiday is an unnecessary risk when seeking to AOS.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

There have been changes since the ban was initially removed.  If u want to travel to Cuba, I would suggest a cruise ship as this mode of travel is still approved.

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Timeline
2 hours ago, Jojo92122 said:

The travel restriction applies to everyone under US jurisdiction; regardless of citizenship or nationality.

The BIA held “that an alien who has left and returned to the United States under a grant of advance parole has not made a 'departure' … from the United States” within the meaning of section 212(a)(9)(B)(i)(II) of the Act.” p. 779.  http://myattorneyusa.com/traveling-on-advance-parole-with-adjustment-of-status-pending

If a person using AP has not made a departure from the US, then it's possible that this person is still under the US jurisdiction and subject to the travel restrictions.

Traveling to Cuba for a holiday is an unnecessary risk when seeking to AOS.

This is not for a holiday. 

Is anyone able to actually provide me with an example of then going to Cuba during AOS has hindered their chances of getting a green card?

And I do have my AP sorry I did not word my original post correctly.

Timeline
5 hours ago, Loren Y said:

I am a USC and went to Cuba not long after they lifted the " Ban" on travel. Had to fill out a simple form and said I was going for educational purposes to study the history of the Cuban People. Just a simple letter to get in, and when you buy your ticket there is mandatory insurance you have to buy. sometimes it is included in the ticket price, sometimes it isn't. It should be around 30 dollars. Also as a note any US based credit cards will not work there, nor will ATM cards, so you are stuck traveling with cash, not a big problem for some, as I have traveled with cash in less hospitable countries, but it is something to consider. Was a cool trip, and I had a good time, finally got a real Mojito LOL, but if it would jeopardize your USC application later I wouldn't do it. But if you need any travel info let me know. I used Spirit Airlines when I went. It was just them and Frontier that went there, but I believe they have stopped going there because there wasn't that much of a demand for it. Maybe they have restarted, but I don't think so, so finding a flight out of the US there may be difficult.

Did you already have your citizenship when you went?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
2 hours ago, Isabella_NZ said:

Did you already have your citizenship when you went?

Yes, I was born here, so I have always been a USC. I never adjusted from anything. It was over a year ago I went. The other poster said it would affect your citizenship later, I am not sure how, maybe he could elaborate. As long as they don't have photos of you in a terriorist training camp I would think you would be ok. I just renewed my global entry, and I know my Cuba trip had to be in the computer and nothing became of it. I have been thru at least 3 POE since that trip and was never questioned about it. I had heard from a friend at carnival Cruise line that they were planning cruises to stop in Havana, don't know if that ever happened either. You would have to check the current situation with travel to Cuba, not sure if things have changed drastically or not over the past year.if I get a chance I'll Google it up, and let you know what I find.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

You must document the trip to Cuba in your citizenship application and prove that it meets one of the 12 permitted criteria. It's then up to USCIS, not you or the travel agent, to decide if it does or not. There is a warning on the department of state website about travel packages claiming to be "educational trips" because they include a scuba diving lesson or a trip to a historical site when, in fact, the main purpose of the trip is to just have a holiday there. 

Timeline in brief:

Now a US citizen!

1 minute ago, JFH said:

You must document the trip to Cuba in your citizenship application and prove that it meets one of the 12 permitted criteria. It's then up to USCIS, not you or the travel agent, to decide if it does or not. There is a warning on the department of state website about travel packages claiming to be "educational trips" because they include a scuba diving lesson or a trip to a historical site when, in fact, the main purpose of the trip is to just have a holiday there. 

Wow, I understand this is the law but it's so unbelievably stupid

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.