Emma1

AFTER I submitted N-400, I moved, changed job, traveled outside the U.S., is this going to affect my citizenship?

15 posts in this topic

After 9 months submitting the application, I just got the interview date!!! It is within a month! Is there anything I should know or prepared? I am a little worried because my case is a bit different than others. 

I got green card thru marriage, but I got a divorce after 4.5 years. (I already got my 10-years green card)

I applied for the citizenship when I reach the 5 years mark. I have learned that getting a divorce shouldn't affect your citizenship as long as it is a true marriage.

My other question is that, after I submitted my application, I moved (same city, submitted new address to USCIS already), I got a new job (better pay), I also traveled outside the US (for only 2 weeks). 

I submitted my application on August 2017, I didn't know the process is going to take that long! Lots of changes happened in between. 

I have prepared a sheet of paper with all the changes I have recently had.

I am not overly worried, but still want to get your opinions.

Is there anything I should better prepared for the interview? 

41 minutes ago, Emma1 said:

After 9 months submitting the application, I just got the interview date!!! It is within a month! Is there anything I should know or prepared? I am a little worried because my case is a bit different than others. 

I got green card thru marriage, but I got a divorce after 4.5 years. (I already got my 10-years green card)

I applied for the citizenship when I reach the 5 years mark. I have learned that getting a divorce shouldn't affect your citizenship as long as it is a true marriage.

My other question is that, after I submitted my application, I moved (same city, submitted new address to USCIS already), I got a new job (better pay), I also traveled outside the US (for only 2 weeks). 

I submitted my application on August 2017, I didn't know the process is going to take that long! Lots of changes happened in between. 

Just answer truthfully and you should be fine. You look like you have a straight forward and simple case so good luck.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
55 minutes ago, Emma1 said:

Why wouldn't? 

Because, as long as your two weeks outside the country do not result in a physical presence requirement violation, none of these items have any effect on your eligibility for naturalization. The criteria are quite clear:

• Be at least 18 years old at the time of filing Form N-400, Application for Naturalization.

• Be a permanent resident (have a “Green Card”) for at least 5 years.

• Show that you have lived for at least 3 months in the state or USCIS district where you apply. 

• Demonstrate continuous residence in the United States for at least 5 years immediately preceding the date of filing Form N-400. 

• Show that you have been physically present in the United States for at least 30 months out of the 5 years immediately preceding the date of filing Form N-400. 

• Be able to read, write, and speak basic English. 

• Have a basic understanding of U.S. history and government (civics). 

• Be a person of good moral character. 

• Demonstrate an attachment to the principles and ideals of the U.S. Constitution.

The only ambiguous items are the last two, and they are thoroughly covered by the questions on the naturalization application form.

1 hour ago, ilyak said:

Because, as long as your two weeks outside the country do not result in a physical presence requirement violation, none of these items have any effect on your eligibility for naturalization. The criteria are quite clear:

• Be at least 18 years old at the time of filing Form N-400, Application for Naturalization.

• Be a permanent resident (have a “Green Card”) for at least 5 years.

• Show that you have lived for at least 3 months in the state or USCIS district where you apply. 

• Demonstrate continuous residence in the United States for at least 5 years immediately preceding the date of filing Form N-400. 

• Show that you have been physically present in the United States for at least 30 months out of the 5 years immediately preceding the date of filing Form N-400. 

• Be able to read, write, and speak basic English. 

• Have a basic understanding of U.S. history and government (civics). 

• Be a person of good moral character. 

• Demonstrate an attachment to the principles and ideals of the U.S. Constitution.

The only ambiguous items are the last two, and they are thoroughly covered by the questions on the naturalization application form.

So since I moved and changed job and traveled. 

What document do I need to show?  Letter with new address? Boarding passes/flight into? New employment letter? I dont want to miss any document.

Thank you! 

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Emma1 said:

So since I moved and changed job and traveled. 

What document do I need to show?  Letter with new address? Boarding passes/flight into? New employment letter? I dont want to miss any document.

Thank you! 

You will not need to show any documents for moving or getting another job, these do not affect your eligibility. During the interview, the officer will go through your application with you question by question and ask if there have been any changes to your answers since you applied. If you filed an AR-11 (change of address, looks like you did), he will already have your new address and move date. You will be able to provide the information about your new job. Regarding travel - are you anywhere near the minimum required physical presence of 30 months within the 5 years? If not, I would not worry about it, stamps in your passport should be enough in the unlikely event that you're asked for proof.

Timeline
15 hours ago, Emma1 said:

Moving and getting a new job should have no impact, just disclose those facts when the IO asks about your residential and work information/history.  Additionally, taking a trip outsid the US should have no bearing, just disclose that trip when the IO asks about your trips outside the US.  Katya filed her N400 and immediately left for a three week visit to see her mother and adult son, she was back before the biometrics appointment and she updated her travel history at the interview and had no issues.

Just a suggestion, when Katya was prepping for her interview, she found many examples of N400 interviews on YouTube and many of those had exactly the changes that you have.  None of them implied any issues.  Just be truthful of the updates to the N400 when you have your interview.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
16 hours ago, Emma1 said:

after I submitted my application, I moved (same city, submitted new address to USCIS already)

Not an issue, and will not affect continuous residence (you are in the same city/State)---disclose the new address to the IO if asked, although they should already have it on file.

I got a new job (better pay),

Not an issue, since your application is not employment-based.  Disclose the new information to the IO so your application can be updated.  

I also traveled outside the US (for only 2 weeks). 

Not an issue with such a short trip so long as it doesn't affect your totals for physical presence requirements.  Disclose the travel dates to the IO during your interview and show any travel stamps in your passport if asked.

Best of luck at your interview!

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

The travel outside the US matters.

During your interview, when you are going through the form with your IO, you will be asked if you have traveled outside the US since filing. It is at this point that you will give the information (and the IO will confirm them from stamps in your foreign passport)... departure and return dates, country visited, and duration, so that the IO can add those dates to your form, the section where you had listed earlier travels -- if any. (I know this because I traveled in July, after filing in Feb, last year.

Relax, though, it has no major or even minor effect on your application -- UNLESS (tongue in cheek) you traveled for terrorism training.

AOS, ROC, N-400, & PASSPORT, FOR HUSBAND TO USC

[02/23, 2012]  - DAY 001  (day 0001) (AOS) Mailed package to Chicago Lockbox via USPS overnight
[06/01, 2012]  - 
DAY 099  (day 0099) 2-year Conditional GC in hand
[05/05, 2014]  - DAY 001  (day 0802) (ROC) Mailed package to Vermont Service Center via USPS overnight

[05/14, 2014]  - DAY 009  (day 0811) Received NOA1 (GC Extended for 1 year)

[01/14, 2016]  - DAY 620  (day 1421) 10-year GC in hand

[02/22, 2017]  - DAY 001  (day 1826) (N-400) Mailed package to Lewisville, TX, via USPS overnight

[01/10, 2018]  - DAY 323  (day 2149) (N-400) Naturalization Oath Ceremony (5 years, 10 months, 19 days)

[01/10, 2018]  - DAY 001  (day 2149) (US Passport) Applied for US Passport, regular processing

01/25, 2018]  - DAY 015  (day 2164) (US Passport) Passport in hand (5 years, 11 months, 3 days from start of Journey.)

AOS, N-400, & PASSPORT FOR DAUGHTER [OF HUSBAND TO USC]

[06/14, 2013] - DAY 001 Mailed package to Chicago Lockbox via USPS overnight
[11/21, 2013] - Day 153 SSN and 10-year GC in hand

09/01, 2021]  - (day 3001) (US Passport) Passport in hand (8 years, 2 months, 18 days from start of Journey.)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Except the Lord build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the Lord keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain. Psalm 127:1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.