Flaxen

Foreign qualifications equivalency evaluation

4 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Hi all I am wanting recommendations or guidance on where to get my New Zealand qualification evaluated for US equivalency. I used one agency and they appear to not have looked a the content of my study. In NZ a degree is achieved in 3 years whereas in the US it is 4 years. From what I have estimated the US content is varied in subject matter whereas my study was completely very topic specific. The place I used said I needed to do another year before I could be considered to have a degree. 

My employer is willing to fund another evaluation as they would support me doing a Masters here.

Froukje (Oregon)

event.png

event.png

Nothing has a stronger influence psychologically on their environment and especially on their children than the unlived life of the parent. - Carl Jung

1 minute ago, Flaxen said:

Hi all I am wanting recommendations or guidance on where to get my New Zealand qualification evaluated for US equivalency. I used one agency and they appear to not have looked a the content of my study. In NZ a degree is achieved in 3 years whereas in the US it is 4 years. From what I have estimated the US content is varied in subject matter whereas my study was completely very topic specific. The place I used said I needed to do another year before I could be considered to have a degree. 

My employer is willing to fund another evaluation as they would support me doing a Masters here.

Froukje (Oregon)

It might help if you state what your degree / profession is. For example, I might be knowledgeable about MD, but someone else may be knowledgeable about RN, someone else about law, etc. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

I have a Bachelor of Counselling and an Advanced Diploma in Alcohol and Drug Studies. I gained CADC II (Certified Alcohol and drug Counsellor level 2). My work was clinical work with clients, more like a licensed social worker here. I'd like to do a Masters here in Supervision or in some form of Adult Training but need my degree recognised to get accepted. 

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

event.png

event.png

Nothing has a stronger influence psychologically on their environment and especially on their children than the unlived life of the parent. - Carl Jung

On 5/17/2018 at 3:28 PM, Flaxen said:

I have a Bachelor of Counselling and an Advanced Diploma in Alcohol and Drug Studies. I gained CADC II (Certified Alcohol and drug Counsellor level 2). My work was clinical work with clients, more like a licensed social worker here. I'd like to do a Masters here in Supervision or in some form of Adult Training but need my degree recognised to get accepted. 

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Contact the university/ies you’re interested in studying at to see what agencies they recommend for evaluating your degree. It’s tricky coming from countries with 3-year degrees - some are regarded as equivalent to a US 4-year degree and others not. Usually you need an “honours” to get the 4-year equivalent - whether this happens within 3 years like the UK or takes the form of an extra 4th year like in SA and (from what I understand) Australia - I don’t know the NZ system. Would your advanced diploma be at honours level perhaps?

If your degree isn’t evaluated as equivalent there’s a possibility your uni of interest might ask you to take a couple of courses to make up the credits - I would ask them specifically rather than just “doing an extra year” . But particularly for something fairly specialized like this, the university will definitely be best able to advise you on what they want.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.