20 posts in this topic

Hi All.  I know that every case is individual and etc. But we are planning an overseas honeymoon once we cross that bridge, and I was wondering how long on average it takes to process all steps- AOS, getting a work permit, green cards and etc. before you are able to leave the country legally and come back legally without a headache? 

Somewhere I read it takes 10-12 moths for AOS and receiving a green card, which would mean I'd have to stay stateside for at least a year before we take our honeymoon trip? somewhere it said 3-4 months. It is confusing. 

The thing is, this would affect our plans for the nearest future which is why I am concerned. Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You could always apply for Advanced Parole and submit that application at the same time---that would allow you to travel/re-enter the US (without the presumption of automatically abandoning your application) while your AOS is pending.  AP takes about 3-4 months to process.

Or, have a small "weekend" honeymoon somewhere nice in the US and save the overseas trip for later.

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

1 minute ago, Going through said:

You could always apply for Advanced Parole and submit that application at the same time---that would allow you to travel/re-enter the US (without the presumption of automatically abandoning your application) while your AOS is pending.

Thank you. Would a honeymoon trip be a sufficient reason for advanced parole request? Some stories also say that advance parole would also take 4-6 months to process. I am clueless, so any info would be very helpful,.

Timeline
18 minutes ago, Nevad@ said:

Would a honeymoon trip be a sufficient reason for advanced parole request?

Yes.  Although with AP with pending AOS, you don't need to list a reason unless the forms have changed recently.

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Apply for Advanced Parole. You can apply at the same time you submit your AOS forms, and it's no cost when you do it at the same time. You also do not have to have a reason to apply for AP; it isn't like an expedition request where you have to validate why. AP can take around 3 to 4 months, on average, opposed to AOS which can take twice that.

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

12 minutes ago, Paul & Mallory said:

Apply for Advanced Parole. You can apply at the same time you submit your AOS forms, and it's no cost when you do it at the same time. You also do not have to have a reason to apply for AP; it isn't like an expedition request where you have to validate why. AP can take around 3 to 4 months, on average, opposed to AOS which can take twice that.

Now it makes more sense, for some reason I thought there has to be a solid reason. So, basically I can travel outside of US as long as I have an AP even though the AOS is still being processed.

Edited by Nevad@

31 minutes ago, Nevad@ said:

Now it makes more sense, for some reason I thought there has to be a solid reason. So, basically I can travel outside of US as long as I have an AP even though the AOS is still being processed.

Yes it is kind of confusing at first but once it is all laid out in front of you then the clarity happens. But if you send off for AP with your AOS make sure you know it is taking roughly about 4  months right now to get it back.

I just realized that I completed the I-131 incorrectly, and the completed example on this site did the same thing I did.

You can skip Part 4 if you are applying for Non-DACA AP.  That means, no explanation required.

Finally done.

39 minutes ago, Nevad@ said:

Just be aware that in some field offices, GC processing and approval has gone faster than EAD and AP approvals.  We got the GC before the other two.  Luck of the draw I guess.

Finally done.

2 minutes ago, Talako said:

Just be aware that in some field offices, GC processing and approval has gone faster than EAD and AP approvals.  We got the GC before the other two.  Luck of the draw I guess.

That is has been really weird to say the least.

1 minute ago, Talako said:

oh interesting! So, in that case the person would still need an advance parole to leave and return or having a green card is enough?

I though green card is the last document you receive after everything :huh:

3 minutes ago, Nevad@ said:

oh interesting! So, in that case the person would still need an advance parole to leave and return or having a green card is enough?

No, once you get the GC or the Green Card then that is that and you do not need the advance parole at all. The GC is the finished product so to speak.

Edited by cyberfx1024

13 minutes ago, Nevad@ said:

As others have pointed out, EAD and AP are temporary measures as the GC is being processed.  So once the GC is received, the other two are no longer valid.

While our GC was received fairly quickly, other offices are really slow.

Finally done.

Timeline

In my opinion, (and for anyone else reading this thinking about whether they should apply for AP or not) AP is always good to submit when filing the AOS concurrently even if you don't have any travel plans in the near future. 

Too many people have been caught unawares by real emergencies back home and all of a sudden need to travel for a funeral, sick relative etc.  One less stressful thing to worry about if one gets it out of the way in the beginning, so-to-speak.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
2 hours ago, Nevad@ said:

Yes. Technically, nothing stops you from leaving the US. It's coming back into the US after leaving that would be the issue - AP allows you to re-enter. :) 

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.