coa24

How Soon Can You File After Married?

15 posts in this topic

Currently I live in the Philippines and will be married to a Filipina in the Philippines in August. We also plan file in August or September. Is that okay? 

Romans 8:28 - And we know that all things work together for the good of those who love God: those who are called according to His purpose.
Hebrews 11:6 - And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
33 minutes ago, coa24 said:

Currently I live in the Philippines and will be married to a Filipina in the Philippines in August. We also plan file in August or September. Is that okay? 

yeah its fine as long as your married.

Edited by NateAndJessica

Thanks everyone :) 

Romans 8:28 - And we know that all things work together for the good of those who love God: those who are called according to His purpose.
Hebrews 11:6 - And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him.

10 hours ago, coa24 said:

After your marriage to a Filipina wife, you would need to have LCR ( Local Civil Registration ) marriage certificate report to PSA to have marriage on record in their system. It will take a while so filing probably need to happen around after Sept afterwards. Good luck

If your plan is to submit quickly after marriage, I might suggest getting married in Hong Kong, even just a civil ceremony to start with.

The process is quite easy and fast...you can apply from abroad and then show up 2-3 days before the ceremony for a documents check (it was approx 5 weeks from mailing our application to being married). The ceremony is about 4 minutes, but at least it’s official! Then you can run to the Philippines consulate and file a record of marriage for processing overnight...which that plus the HK marriage certificate are accepted by US embassy for the petition (saves waiting 3-6months as I’ve heard for the PSA contract from Philippines).

You could even go in the next day to pick up the record of marriage and get either a passport amendment (1-day) or a new passport (2 months) based on the record of marriage. This allows your wife to start getting valid IDs, SSS, NBI, etc updated into her married name without waiting for the PSA certified marriage license. The embassy sends the record of marriage to Manila every 1-2 months and then you can get a psa copy if you need it at a later date. 

Probably more info than you wanted, but may be the only way to have the info you need to submit quickly after marriage, since a PSA certificate is required for marriages that occur in the Philippines. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/14/2018 at 10:27 AM, coa24 said:

You can file the same day you get married but you will waste $535 filing fee. Your biggest hurdle is getting a PSA marriage certificate. I was married April 16th 2018. Last Thursday the 7th  of June, Manila told my wife not to expect the marriage certificate for at least another 2 months. Now I'm wishing I had filed a fiance petition instead of getting married. 

• 4 weeks later...

Out of curiosity,why do you have to wait for the psa copy if you have acop already? Is it because all 4 copies (including your personal copy) has to be certified?

37 minutes ago, coa24 said:

Out of curiosity,why do you have to wait for the psa copy if you have acop already? Is it because all 4 copies (including your personal copy) has to be certified?

Basically any legal / civil document in the Philippines has to go through the NSO/PSA process to be certified / authenticated and printed on security paper. As I understand it, it’s due to issues in the past with fraudulent documents being generated. 

The US accordingly requires the authenticated documents on security paper to be submitted with petition and won’t accept the marriage license just issued by the local civil registrar. That’s why we went the Hong Kong route, because documents issued by HK government are valid and accepted world wide, so we were able to submit the petition with just that document and we only had approx three months to complete the process so we didn’t want to wait for PSA. 

Thank you for the clarification. It would be nice to go the Hong Kong route, but family is very important. We will just wait. Besides the marriage certificate and passport photos, wha are other documents needed to process? Does hse still need NBI clearance? Other documents?

Yes, wait for the PSA marriage certificate. You can expedite that PSA certificate by going to and requesting it it directly from the municipality than from PSA itself. Also, you must have lived in the Philippines for more than 6 months before filing DCF there. Have you been there for more than 6 Months?

These webpages are very helpful:

Spouse Visa DCF Philippines  

Spouse Visa DCF Philippines USCIS Phase 

Spouse Visa DCF Philippines Embassy Phase

Edited by BlueDevil1442

25 minutes ago, BlueDevil1442 said:

Yes, wait for the PSA marriage certificate. You can expedite that PSA certificate by going to and requesting it it directly from the municipality than from PSA itself. Also, you must have lived in the Philippines for more than 6 months before filing DCF there. Have you been there for more than 6 Months?

These webpages are very helpful:

Spouse Visa DCF Philippines  

Spouse Visa DCF Philippines USCIS Phase 

Spouse Visa DCF Philippines Embassy Phase

Thanks for the advice. I have been in the Philippines for 1 year and 6 months. Will be married in August.

Yes I agree with BlueDevil1442After you get married make sure you get it expedited at your local city hall. We received our PSA marriage certificate after 6 weeks following our wedding.  

=To God Be The Glory =

DCF for CR1
02-23-2016 Filed I- 130 @ US Embassy Manila
03-03-2016 NOA 2
03-04-2016 Received MNL Case Number
04-04-2016 Interview (Approved!) Visa ISSUED the same day
04-06-2016 Visa on hand! Picked up from 2Go MOA @ 5:30 PM
04-11-2016 POE @ Minneapolis, MN

05-12-2016 Received SSN

07-07-2016 Greencard arrived!

ROC

01-11-2018 ROC window opens

01-13-2018 Mailed ROC application to CSC

01-26-2018 Received NOA (dated: 01/22) 

05-24-2018 Biometrics 

01-23-2019 i751 Approved 

01-31-2019  10 Year Greencard arrived! 

N400

03-16-2019 Submitted application online

03-16-2019 NOA1

04-09-2019 Biometrics 

11-13-2019 Interview, approved 

12-04-2019 Oath taking. I'm now a naturalized US Citizen. 

=It Always Seems Impossible Until It's Done=

Just now, bellashay said:

Yes I agree with BlueDevil1442After you get married make sure you get it expedited at your local city hall. We received our PSA marriage certificate after 6 weeks following our wedding.  

Are you talking about where you file for the marriage licence? So after you turn in the marriage certificate at the city hall, at same time request PSA marriage certificate, correct?

2 hours ago, coa24 said:

Are you talking about where you file for the marriage licence? So after you turn in the marriage certificate at the city hall, at same time request PSA marriage certificate, correct?

Yes. When we filed for a marriage license, the clerk at the city hall pretty much handled everything. We "hired" the reverend who officiated our wedding from the city hall so they processed everything for us. They filed the paperwork to PSA on our behalf- for an extra fee of course ;) 

Edited by bellashay

=To God Be The Glory =

DCF for CR1
02-23-2016 Filed I- 130 @ US Embassy Manila
03-03-2016 NOA 2
03-04-2016 Received MNL Case Number
04-04-2016 Interview (Approved!) Visa ISSUED the same day
04-06-2016 Visa on hand! Picked up from 2Go MOA @ 5:30 PM
04-11-2016 POE @ Minneapolis, MN

05-12-2016 Received SSN

07-07-2016 Greencard arrived!

ROC

01-11-2018 ROC window opens

01-13-2018 Mailed ROC application to CSC

01-26-2018 Received NOA (dated: 01/22) 

05-24-2018 Biometrics 

01-23-2019 i751 Approved 

01-31-2019  10 Year Greencard arrived! 

N400

03-16-2019 Submitted application online

03-16-2019 NOA1

04-09-2019 Biometrics 

11-13-2019 Interview, approved 

12-04-2019 Oath taking. I'm now a naturalized US Citizen. 

=It Always Seems Impossible Until It's Done=

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.