53 posts in this topic

Hello everybody!

Quick and simple question: Does somebody who comes here on a K-1 visa eventually have to become a U.S. citizen? Like, do you need to become a U.S. citizen, ultimately? Or, can you just have a green card forever, kind-of-thing. LOL. I hope my question made sense. And forgive me if this question has been answered already!

Thanks in advance.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, barashka said:

Hello everybody!

Quick and simple question: Does somebody who comes here on a K-1 visa eventually have to become a U.S. citizen? Like, do you need to become a U.S. citizen, ultimately? Or, can you just have a green card forever, kind-of-thing. LOL. I hope my question made sense. And forgive me if this question has been answered already!

Thanks in advance.

You NEVER need to become a citizen.  You can remain an LPR forever.  Many reasons to become or not become a citizen

YMMV

1 minute ago, payxibka said:

You NEVER need to become a citizen.  You can remain an LPR forever.  Many reasons to become or not become a citizen

This is what I thought, too. I don't know, it was a pondering question I was thinking about for the past couple of days! Somebody had told me that you have no choice but to become a U.S. citizen if you come here on a K-1 visa. Thanks for the reply!

Timeline
Just now, barashka said:

This is what I thought, too. I don't know, it was a pondering question I was thinking about for the past couple of days! Somebody had told me that you have no choice but to become a U.S. citizen if you come here on a K-1 visa. Thanks for the reply!

Just need to keep renewing your Resident card 

YMMV

5 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Just need to keep renewing your Resident card 

By Resident Card, do you mean Green Card?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

It's not mandatory to become citizen. Of course not. You can just renew your GC every 10 years. Actually someone I knew at a previous job was a resident and she did not want to become citizen, she just wanted to keep renewing GCs forever. Considering the current immigration debate going on with this administration, I would prefer to be USC than having to worry about renewing my residency status every 10 years and also the money we need to put in that process. 

3 minutes ago, Sunnyland said:

It's not mandatory to become citizen. Of course not. You can just renew your GC every 10 years. Actually someone I knew at a previous job was a resident and she did not want to become citizen, she just wanted to keep renewing GCs forever. Considering the current immigration debate going on with this administration, I would prefer to be USC than having to worry about renewing my residency status every 10 years and also the money we need to put in that process. 

You're totally right about that. If you end up becoming a U.S. citizen, then you don't have to worry about all that paperwork and money being spent. What is the form to renew your residency status, anyways (just curious)?

Filed: IR-2 Country: Russia
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Sunnyland said:

More than a money issue. When one has a Green Card, one is subject to deportation proceedings after one has served USA jail time for a serious crime.  One is then barred from ever returning to the USA.  Obviously if one is a US Citizen, deportation possibility is 0%.    

3 minutes ago, Jupifer said:

More than a money issue. When one has a Green Card, one is subject to deportation proceedings after one has served USA jail time for a serious crime.  One is then barred from ever returning to the USA.  Obviously if one is a US Citizen, deportation possibility is 0%.    

It is risky to keep a Green Card forever, is what you are saying, right?

Edited by barashka

Timeline
Just now, barashka said:

It is risky to keep a Green Card, is what you are saying, right?

Yes, I just pointed out the risk.  Say that you had a normal car accident but somebody died.  Your in jail for manslaughter for a few years and then you get deported.

Anything can happen like that you never expected.

8 minutes ago, Jupifer said:

IF you are naturalized there are certain reasons they can strip you of your citizenship, rare as it may be. 

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Jupifer said:

Yes, I just pointed out the risk.  Say that you had a normal car accident but somebody died.  Your in jail for manslaughter for a few years and then you get deported.

Anything can happen like that you never expected.

Criminal vehicular homicide does not sound like a "normal" car accident to me.  CVH requires some form of negligence

YMMV

19 minutes ago, Sunnyland said:

What if your home country strips you of your rights like to own land, vote and work if you become a US Citizen.

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

Timeline
1 minute ago, payxibka said:

Criminal vehicular homicide does not sound like a "normal" car accident to me.  CVH requires some form of negligence

A senior citizen who has a heart attack while being in a normal accident.  It is still manslaughter.  I say this because this does happen. It is unfortunate.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.