corvusheart

False background check nightmare

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
6 hours ago, randomstairs said:

But because of this unfortunate coincidence he may want to consider doing the criminal clearance in Kansas (DoJ in Kansas perhaps?) or FBI clearance if a similar issue with employers arises again.

I hadn't thought of it, but I think this is a great idea.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Hey...try not to worry overmuch; it was a jarring clerical mistake by a company that's obviously not doing their job very well!  Keep all your paperwork, all your correspondence about this; keep the case number, if they gave you one.  Then if there's ever any question about it, you can present your paper trail, documenting the stupid mistake the background check company made.

In a few years it will be a funny story you can tell. Good luck on his job! :-)

"Wherever you go, you take yourself with you." --Neil Gaiman

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I run a FBI background check on myself every year. Only costs about 15 bucks and you get the same thing USCIS will get. Takes about 3 months to receive, unless you expedite it thru a authorized processor, send in the form , fingerprint card, and 15 dollar money order and you will get the whole shabang. They use finger prints so there is no messing your identity up with someone else's. I know those cheesy name checks most employment verification companies use are useless. I deliver to military bases, area 51warehouse, and all sorts of secure locations and one time I couldn't get on Nellis air Force Base because someone with the same first middle and last name as me had a traffic warrant. Took me a week to straighten that out. All they told me at the base check point is go talk to Las Vegas metropolitan police. Had to go to the records division and they fixed it, so I wouldn't worry about it messing up USCIS, they use a little more reliable sources than most places. I thought the military base would have used something more reliable myself, but my name triggered a hit, so they turned me around.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
23 hours ago, corvusheart said:

. When the background check came back it came back with a charge in Kansas with possession of meth in August 2012.

Maybe this company should spend money an a more accurate "back ground check" company.  I would be willing to bet that the company used something like Spokeo for their "investigations.  I can look myself up and find all kinds of out and outdated info, missing info, etc.  They just look on the web and would not call them an investigator.  they could pay me half the price and I can give them the same info in 10 minutes or less! LOL

It was First Advantage. If it's on his background check does that mean its on his record somehow? When he first moved in with me they ran a background check and it cleared fine. Every job in the past that ran one on him went through fine.

- I am the US Sponsor-

Removal of Conditions (pending)

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

pokemon-signature-278b875.jpg

20 hours ago, corvusheart said:

It was First Advantage. If it's on his background check does that mean its on his record somehow? When he first moved in with me they ran a background check and it cleared fine. Every job in the past that ran one on him went through fine.

They just got it wrong. USCIS doesn't care what a private company may find. They have access to better background checks. 

On 5/12/2018 at 5:34 PM, corvusheart said:

If it's on his background check does that mean its on his record somehow? 

No. I know this must be stressful for you, but try to relax about it.

Is your timeline updated?

Oath Ceremony Dec 14th, 2018 I am finally a citizen and done with USCIS for good!

IR-1/CR-1 Visa:                            

Marriage: 2013-08-05                                   I-130 Sent: 2013-10-07                                                 I-130 NOA1: 2013-10-09                               

I-130 transferred to VSC: 2014-03-12        I-130 NOA2: 2014-03-24                                              NVC Received: 2014-04-07 

Case Number and IIN: 2014-05-05             Sent ENROLL email for EP: 2014-05-06                    Gave email addresses to NVC: 2014-05-08             

DS261 submitted: 2014-05-09                    AOS invoiced and paid: 2014-05-12                           DS261 re-submitted - GRRRR! 2014-05-21               

ENROLL conf. email: 2014-06-05               Submitted AOS documents:2014-06-08                    IV fee email received: 2014-06-23 

IV fee available and paid: 2014-06-24       DS260  submitted: 2014-06-26                                   Case Complete: 2014-07-31                                       

Interview: 2014-09-19 APPROVED!!!          Visa in Hand: 2014-09-24 (Loomis depot)                POE (Pac Hwy Crossing, BC) 2014-11-08 

SSN Card arrived (approx) 2014-11-26     Green Card arrived (approx) 2014-12-17 

Removal of Conditions - I-751:

I-751 Mailed (USPS) Aug 10, 2016             NOA: August 17, 2016 (received Aug 23)                  Biometrics Letter Sent: Sept 23, 2016

Biometrics Letter Rec'd: Sept 30, 2016     Walk-In Biometrics Oct 6, 2016                                    Infopass for I-551 stamp Aug 17, 2017   

Service Request: Dec 27, 2017                   SR Response: Jan 10, 2018 (no prediction)              Senator Inquiry: Jan 5, 2018

Senator Resp: Jan 8, 2018 (60 days)         Service Request 2: Mar 8 2018                                   Senator Inquiry 2: Mar 9 2018

SR 2 Response: Mar 12 (security checks) Senator Response 2: Mar 13, 2018                            Approval (via phone!): Mar 14, 2018

New Green Card Arrived: Mar 22, 2018

Naturalization - N-400: 

Submitted N-400 Online: Feb 4, 2018       Denied for Payment Failure: Feb 8, 2018                     Resubmitted N-400 Online Feb 8, 2018

NOA: Feb 8, 2018                                          Biometrics: Feb 26, 2018                                                Interview: Nov 2,2018 (approved)

Oath: Dec 14, 2018

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
On 5/11/2018 at 3:57 PM, Highmystic said:

Maybe this company should spend money an a more accurate "back ground check" company.  I would be willing to bet that the company used something like Spokeo for their "investigations.  I can look myself up and find all kinds of out and outdated info, missing info, etc.  They just look on the web and would not call them an investigator.  they could pay me half the price and I can give them the same info in 10 minutes or less! LOL

HR person here. Most of these pre-employemnt screens are indeed just basic record searches done through a few consolidated providers. FirstData is one of these providers and runs their own records database, but the data quality is extremely variable. At lower price tiers, FirstData will not guarantee the results and will frequently will report partial matches without verifying even the basics such as the SSN; a hit on just the name and the DOB is enough to trigger an alert. Unscrupulous business owners and HR departments who rely on these kinds of checks to make hiring decisions subject themselves to significant potential liability.

In contrast, USCIS uses a national law enforcement agency, the FBI, to conduct their checks. While far from perfect, FBI-ran checks rely on many more data points, including fingerprints, to establish the subject's identity. 

On 5/10/2018 at 10:08 PM, corvusheart said:

I literally found the guy on the Kansas department of corrections website. He looks nothing like my husband but has same name and birth date.

How common is his name..... identity theft alarm bells ringing

CR1 / DCF (London): 2012 / 2013 (4 months from I-130 petition to visa in hand)

I-751 #1- April 2015 [Denied]

April 2015 : I-751 Joint filing package sent fedex next day 09:00am from UK ($lots - thanks). 
Jan 2017: Notification that an interview has been scheduled at a local office. Bizarrely still no RFE... 
Jan 2017: 2hr wait, then interview terminated before it began, due to moving my ID to another state 2 wks prior. New interview 'in a few months...maybe.'   Informed them that divorce proceedings are underway, but not finalised at this time. 
March 2017: An Interview was scheduled - marked as no-show as they didn't actually send out a notification of interview. FML 
April  2017: Filed an official complaint with the ombudsman, and have requested Senator & Congressman assistance
August 2017: Interview - switched to a (finalised) divorce waiver. Told that decision will be made that afternoon, but no problems foreseen with my case. 
October 2017: Letter of Denial received - reason given as 'I-751 petition was not properly filed'. Discovered ex-spouse made false allegations to USCIS in 2015. No opportunity given to review & refute allegations  - contrary to USCIS policy.

I-751 #2 - Oct 2017 - Mar 2021[Denied] 

October 2017: Within 72hrs of receiving denial notice, a new waiver I-751, divorce decree & $680 cheque, sent to Vermont via FedEx overnight 9am priority.  
Dec 2019: Filed FOIA request for full A# file
Feb 2020: FOIA request completed - entire A# file received as a .PDF; 197 pages fully redacted, and 80 partially redacted. Don't waste your time!
March 2021: I-751 #2 denied for lack of evidence. No RFE, no interview, and evidence in previous I-751 not reviewed - contrary to policy. Huge errors in adjudication.

N-400 - Feb 2018 - Apr 2021 [Denied]

February 2018: N-400 filed online.  $725 paid to the USCIS paperwork wastage fund

February  2019: Interview - cancelled after a four hour wait due to 'missing paperwork' on their end. Promised Expedited reschedule.

March 2021: Interview letter received, strangely dated after I-751 denial. No I-751 interview conducted. N-400 interview and test passed, given 'cannot make a decision at this time' paper due to the ongoing I-751 nightmare...

April 2021: N-400 denial received citing recent I-751 denial as basis for ineligibility, even though it should have been a combo interview 🤯

I AM JACK'S COMPLETE LACK OF SURPRISE

I-751 Service Motion - March 2021 [Sent via FedEx & COMPLETELY IGNORED by USCIS]

March 2021: Service Motion request sent overnight addressed direectly to field office director, requesting urgent review and re-opening, based on errors in adjudication - citing USCIS policy, AFM and memorandums as basis for errors. This was completely ignored by USCIS.

I-751 #3 - June 2021 - Jan 2024 [Denied]

IT'S GROUNDHOG DAY

June 2021: I-751 #3 (30+lbs/5000 pages of paperwork) & another $680 sent to USCIS via FedEx ($300+..thanks) .... 

June 2021: Receipt issued, card charged, biometrics waived, infopass scheduled for I-551 stamp number ten.....

Feb 2022: RFIE (no, not an RFE, a Request For Initial Evidence) received, for copies of the divorce paperwork that they already have 😑

July 2022: Infopass for I-551 stamp number eleven.....

August 2023: Infopass for I-551 stamp number twelve....

January 2024: Denial received, ignoring the overwhelming majority of the filing, abundance of evidence, and refutation of a provably false allegation. The denial also contradicts itself in multiple places, as if it was written by someone with an IQ <50.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

2024: FML. Seriously. I'm done. 

employer conducted background check isn't used for immigration.

if it is the case of person with same name and birth date, then your spouse should be able to continue with the job. if the employer is no letting them work then there is something to investigate....there may be some background story to that charge and validity to it.

6 minutes ago, deepfineleg said:

employer conducted background check isn't used for immigration.

if it is the case of person with same name and birth date, then your spouse should be able to continue with the job. if the employer is no letting them work then there is something to investigate....there may be some background story to that charge and validity to it.

No, if the employer doesn't let him work because of this without giving him a pre-adverse notice first and time to dispute the results, then it's time for legal action. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.