toreador

Help! Married to LPR. Dropped school after filing I-485. AOS interview next month.

51 posts in this topic

Hopefully OP will let us know next month if her AoS was approved or denied.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

1 hour ago, PrisEri said:

My first thought was what are these people saying? They are not out of status because she married while her H1b visa was still valid.

? OP never had a H1B, said the application for it was denied. 

Agreed with @azblk. It doesn't matter what categories you apply AOS for, as long as you are in status when you apply for I-485, you will be entered "authorized to stay" status until your application is adjudicated. However, most people are advised to maintain status until green card in hand because if somehow their AOS goes wrong, they will still be able to stay in the country legally. 

Edited by MrSimBa

Filed: F-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

It is ok to be out of status after you file AOS. You should consult a couple of other lawyers to be sure and emphasize the fact that you were legal at the time when your AOS was received by the USCIS. Not all lawyers are competent. 

2 hours ago, Roel said:

Hopefully OP will let us know next month if her AoS was approved or denied.

I am anxious to know the results also. 

1 hour ago, Tenreyro said:

I would really like to see how this case unfolds.

Sorry @Roel, I believe where you quoted USCIS is a misquote, since it is a general page, an specific details can not be assumed. For example, the original source also instructs USC's spouses to File I-130, I-485 them together, that does not mean that they can not file them separately. 

If interested OP and anyone else interested could also check Maya123's case that was even one step further, and went to the interview, and was told by the interviewing officer that she was out of status and that she was going to be denied. Only to later receive the approval. It only got delayed because her I-130 was stuck somewhere else :) 

Please people let's try to educate, and refute with arguments instead of beliefs.

I read the thread. Seems that the interviewing officer informed the  applicant that they  were supposed to  maintain status. There is also another  poster the had a similar encounter with an officer. And someone in that thread provided a link to another case where a person was told at the interview that they were to maintain status, but eventually got approve. 

This may very well be a case of it being at the officer's discretion.

Like someone just mentioned, by not maintaining a legal status, a denial of the AOS would put the applicant in an even worse position than they started. So maintaining a legal status is the safest route. By not having a spouse that is a US citizen to file a waiver, their options to have authorized stay after an AOS would be extremely limited. Every search of resources that I have come across has it that a person must maintain status.

Hopefully, the OP will return to give us an update. It definitely will be beneficial to us.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
6 hours ago, NigeriaorBust said:

How did your husband qualify to apply from USC  so quickly ?   You said he got his GC in 2015 and applied for USC in 17  

Exactly my thought also something is not adding up.

Got GC Jan 15 and apply for UC citizen on Nov 17 so within the 90 days before the 3 years so that means he is applying under rules for marriage and not 5 years as a GC holder makes no sense when he is married to her.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

***Post violating the TOS (personal attack) removed; Administrative Action taken.***

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline
35 minutes ago, Georgia16 said:

Got GC Jan 15 and apply for UC citizen on Nov 17 so within the 90 days before the 3 years so that means he is applying under rules for marriage and not 5 years as a GC holder makes no sense when he is married to her.

The husband could be in the military. They get expedited naturalization if so desired.

14 minutes ago, p1po2w said:

azblk is correct. I adjusted my status thru a marriage with a LPR inside the US. if your PD is current, you HAVE to HAVE a legal status to file i-485 and that's it. after filling i-485, you no longer hold ANY other status but a pending i-485. even if your PD is no longer current, you are still fine because you filled at the time when your PD was current and had a legal status at that point. after doing it, filling i-485, while PD is current, and being in a legal status, your new status is a pending i-485 until your i-485 is approved/denied.

Thank you for sharing your experience!!! Good to hear that there’s a successful case. 

Did the IO ask your status after filing I-485? Did you present any rules/regulations from the USCIS website to prove that it’s fine to hold no status after filing I-485 (had legal status on the date of filing, of course)? just in case IO  not familiar with it. 

Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
13 hours ago, Georgia16 said:

The rules for apply at three years through marriage require that the spouse be a USC which isn't the case as the OP is trying to get a green card.   I didn't hear anything about them being in the military.  So maybe AOS isn't  their only problem .

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline
9 minutes ago, NigeriaorBust said:

The rules for apply at three years through marriage require that the spouse be a USC which isn't the case as the OP is trying to get a green card.   I didn't hear anything about them being in the military.  So maybe AOS isn't  their only problem .

Now you are making assumptions about about things beyond the scope of this thread. If the husband erroneously applied for citizenship he will be denied. It has no bearing on this case as she is applying as the spouse of a LPR and not a USC.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
4 minutes ago, azblk said:

Now you are making assumptions about about things beyond the scope of this thread. If the husband erroneously applied for citizenship he will be denied. It has no bearing on this case as she is applying as the spouse of a LPR and not a USC.

It means that the suggestion that they wait until he is  USC is not something that will happen in the near future.  

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.