spiramirabilis

Advice on steps I can take to find out why it's taking so long?

47 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

I'm really worried and I wondered if anyone had any advice.

I filed for AOS in December 2016. I had my biometrics appointment early Feb 2017 and submitted some extra info which I can see they received early March 2017. Since then, no updates.

I put in an online case inquiry request which said I would have an answer by April 12. I've still got nothing. I just don't know what to do to find out why I can see a bunch of cases in people's timelines getting interviews and I'm not, and why they're not even responding to my request.

I'm freaking out because I have plane tickets to go and see my family. I stupidly thought it would be fine. I applied for AP but given current timelines, I don't think I'll get it in time. I just don't know what to do now.

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Sunnyland said:

You have been waiting for the AP since March 2017?

No, March 2017 was just the last AOS update. I applied for AP seperately much more recently.

At the time I didn't really understand that I was allowed to apply for AP without specific plans due to their confusing documents talking about emergencies etc. I did apply for employment authorization at the time of my AOS application though and it was eventually granted.

Timeline
29 minutes ago, mushroomspore said:

Have you contacted your senator, congress person and/or the ombudsman?? 

I'm not sure I'm meant to take such drastic action given their 'don't bother us until this amount of time has passed' timelines are extremely long. But I can see other people getting interview dates and getting approved so it's alarming.

40 minutes ago, spiramirabilis said:

I'm really worried and I wondered if anyone had any advice.

I filed for AOS in December 2016. I had my biometrics appointment early Feb 2017 and submitted some extra info which I can see they received early March 2017. Since then, no updates.

I put in an online case inquiry request which said I would have an answer by April 12. I've still got nothing. I just don't know what to do to find out why I can see a bunch of cases in people's timelines getting interviews and I'm not, and why they're not even responding to my request.

I'm freaking out because I have plane tickets to go and see my family. I stupidly thought it would be fine. I applied for AP but given current timelines, I don't think I'll get it in time. I just don't know what to do now.

Did you tried getting an Infopass and see where your physical file is at? 

Pinoy Ako! ^_^

Timeline
2 minutes ago, SB5130 said:

Did you tried getting an Infopass and see where your physical file is at? 

I didn't know of such a thing - I'll look into it. Thank you. It feels a bit weird asking them like that but if they won't respond to my information request, I'm not sure what else I can do.

7 minutes ago, spiramirabilis said:

I didn't know of such a thing - I'll look into it. Thank you. It feels a bit weird asking them like that but if they won't respond to my information request, I'm not sure what else I can do.

Mine didn't take that long. But based on my AOS experience, my INFOpass was very helpful. I asked the field officer where is my file and is it still intact. He told me that my physical files were intact and had been sent to the field office. On queue to be assigned. I was told to wait for 3-4months because that is the usual trend. It was atleast comforting knowing where my file is at and that it wasn't lost. 

On the contrary my service request was a waste of time. I got an update or "in progress" with no other details. How helpful!

Also, have you created an account to check your case online? 

https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov/

Edited by SB5130

Pinoy Ako! ^_^

Timeline
1 minute ago, SB5130 said:

Mine didn't take that long. But based on my AOS experience, my INFOpass was very helpful. I asked the field officer where is my file and is it still intact. He told me that my physical files were intact and had been sent to the field office. On queue to be assigned. I was told to wait for 3-4months because that is the usual trend. It was atleast comforting knowing where my file is at and that it wasn't lost. 

Also, have you created an account to check your case online? 

https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov/

Does going through an account get a different result from the regular page where you enter the case number? (https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/)

The result I get there just says they received my information in early March 2017 and will continue processing (and has been that way since that March).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

You can make an InfoPass at your local office. If there is no date available keep trying until you find an available slot.

1 hour ago, spiramirabilis said:

I'm not sure I'm meant to take such drastic action given their 'don't bother us until this amount of time has passed' timelines are extremely long. But I can see other people getting interview dates and getting approved so it's alarming.

Umm I'd say this calls for drastic action at this point. I contacted my senator and ombudsman for my combo card after 6 months of waiting. Contact them now.

53 minutes ago, spiramirabilis said:

No, March 2017 was just the last AOS update. I applied for AP seperately much more recently.

At the time I didn't really understand that I was allowed to apply for AP without specific plans due to their confusing documents talking about emergencies etc. I did apply for employment authorization at the time of my AOS application though and it was eventually granted.

I looked at your timeline. We, too, have been waiting for AOS through the Atlanta office. However, we filed early June 2017. Almost a year. Still nothing. I thought that was a long time. A couple of thoughts and questions for you. Since your EAD was approved last April 2017, hasn’t it expired?  My husband’s EAD card is only good for a year and that will end in October.  At that time his drivers license will expire here in Georgia. Do you have that problem as well?  Did your EAD and DL both expire already?  Another question for you has to do with your physical. The physical is only good for a year after you apply for AOS.  So I’m assuming you will need to get a new physical before you can be approved for AOS. Do you know anything about this?  Will you get another physical or did you get a new one already?  I wish you luck in finding out what is taking so long and hope that you get approved soon. Let me know what you think and keep us updated. 

Good lord Atlanta is a black hole isn't it?! In 2013 when I-130s for IR1/CR1 visas were being adjudicated by local offices, Atlanta was the only place not doing a thing.  If your case has been too long don't hesitate to get in contact with the ombudsman and your representatives.  A year without any notification is too long!

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Diane and Chris said:

I looked at your timeline. We, too, have been waiting for AOS through the Atlanta office. However, we filed early June 2017. Almost a year. Still nothing. I thought that was a long time. A couple of thoughts and questions for you. Since your EAD was approved last April 2017, hasn’t it expired?  My husband’s EAD card is only good for a year and that will end in October.  At that time his drivers license will expire here in Georgia. Do you have that problem as well?  Did your EAD and DL both expire already?  Another question for you has to do with your physical. The physical is only good for a year after you apply for AOS.  So I’m assuming you will need to get a new physical before you can be approved for AOS. Do you know anything about this?  Will you get another physical or did you get a new one already?  I wish you luck in finding out what is taking so long and hope that you get approved soon. Let me know what you think and keep us updated. 

I've applied for a renewal of EAD which hasn't been granted yet - since I applied before it expired, it gets automatically extended by 180 days. I don't drive so I don't have any issues bridging the gap there.

I didn't know the thing about the physical. I got mine in Australia in probably mid 2016 so it has been well and truly over a year. I'll have a look into it...although I'm not sure why they'd need to check me for TB and so on when I'm already in the country? Although it could be for other things.

Edited by spiramirabilis

Timeline
3 minutes ago, NikLR said:

Good lord Atlanta is a black hole isn't it?! In 2013 when I-130s for IR1/CR1 visas were being adjudicated by local offices, Atlanta was the only place not doing a thing.  If your case has been too long don't hesitate to get in contact with the ombudsman and your representatives.  A year without any notification is too long!

Yikes... that's not good news.

I'll get an appointment with them as soon as any appear on the InfoPass site and see what is going on.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.