Sonata Arctica

Need help filling out I-864 with a joint sponsor

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I know that there is a lot of information about I-864 available on the internet, but most of it is general and might not pertain, or be relevant, to our situation. For this reason, I am making this thread to get some help from anyone who can, based on our specific situation, which is as follows:

My wife and I live in Canada, She is a US citizen who moved to Canada 4 years ago and is now a PR here, soon to be a citizen. When we move back to the US, she will obviously resign from her job here and therefore, will not have any income to show to prove that she can support us when we move there. We understand that we will need a joint sponsor, which in this case is her dad. We are both moving to live on their property, which they are renting to us. My questions are the following:

1. Which I-864 forms do we need to fill out for my wife and her dad? Is it I-864 or I-864A or I-864 EZ?

2. The instructions are not very clear, as they contradict each other, about what supporting financial documents to submit. At one spot they say to submit IRS transcripts, and at another they say to submit 3 year tax returns. Which is it? And for how many years?

3. My father-in-law has enough income that is way above the 125% of the poverty line. What documents (financial and otherwise) does he need to submit?

4. My mother-in-law also works....does she need to fill out an I-864 as well or will my father-in-law suffice? Does she need to submit anything at all?

5. Does my father-in-law need to add his wife's income or information on to his I-864?

6. My wife has filed taxes in the US for all the years that she has been in Canada. Does she need to submit 3 years of IRS transcripts or 3 years of tax returns? For tax returns they also need W-2 and Form 1099, which she will obviously not have (since she doesn't work in the US). So what does she need to submit?

My in-laws are coming to see us here in Calgary this year. I want to get answers to these so they can bring whatever documents they need to submit, with them.

Thank you all.

9 hours ago, Sonata Arctica said:

I know that there is a lot of information about I-864 available on the internet, but most of it is general and might not pertain, or be relevant, to our situation. For this reason, I am making this thread to get some help from anyone who can, based on our specific situation, which is as follows:

My wife and I live in Canada, She is a US citizen who moved to Canada 4 years ago and is now a PR here, soon to be a citizen. When we move back to the US, she will obviously resign from her job here and therefore, will not have any income to show to prove that she can support us when we move there. We understand that we will need a joint sponsor, which in this case is her dad. We are both moving to live on their property, which they are renting to us. My questions are the following:

1. Which I-864 forms do we need to fill out for my wife and her dad? Is it I-864 or I-864A or I-864 EZ?

2. The instructions are not very clear, as they contradict each other, about what supporting financial documents to submit. At one spot they say to submit IRS transcripts, and at another they say to submit 3 year tax returns. Which is it? And for how many years?

3. My father-in-law has enough income that is way above the 125% of the poverty line. What documents (financial and otherwise) does he need to submit?

4. My mother-in-law also works....does she need to fill out an I-864 as well or will my father-in-law suffice? Does she need to submit anything at all?

5. Does my father-in-law need to add his wife's income or information on to his I-864?

6. My wife has filed taxes in the US for all the years that she has been in Canada. Does she need to submit 3 years of IRS transcripts or 3 years of tax returns? For tax returns they also need W-2 and Form 1099, which she will obviously not have (since she doesn't work in the US). So what does she need to submit?

My in-laws are coming to see us here in Calgary this year. I want to get answers to these so they can bring whatever documents they need to submit, with them.

Thank you all.

1] I-864

2] 1-3 years of tax return transcripts OR entire tax returns.  Transcripts are preferred.

3]  I-864, evidence of ongoing income (pay stubs or employer letter), Tax return transcript(s) or Tax Return(s) for last 1-3 years, proof of US citizenship

4] if she files jointly with her husband she should also submit an I-864a, proof of citizenship, and ongoing income evidence. 

5] see #4 (yes)

6] see #2 (yes transcripts)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

• 4 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I wanted to ask whoever can help, in filling out certain sections on the I-864, a few questions:

1. My wife is in Canada, but will be moving back to the US before the interview. She can obviously not claim her Canadian income, so should she show her income on the I-864 as $0? Her US transcripts show her Canadian )foreign) income, but that cant be used for this purpose.

2. In the section about domicile, my understanding is that even if she is in Canada, she has to declare on the form that she has a US domicile, and provide supporting documents. Is this correct?

3. She has credit card statements and bank statements showing her US mailing address, and her tax transcripts for the last 3 years. She will get her US driver's license when she gets there, and hopefully a job as well. Will these items be enough to prove domicile to the NVC? I will have her driver's license, job and residential information when I go for my interview. Basically, what can we submit to the NVC to show her US domicile?

3. Since she will have zero US income when we send the documents to the NVC, we are using her father as a joint sponsor. He and her mom (they are married) file their taxes jointly. In their case, he is filling out the I-864 as the joint sponsor and her mom is filling out an I-864A. Her dad earns enough to be well above the poverty guidelines, so that is not a worry. He was self-employed for years until a month ago, but now works as an employee. What proof of income does he need to submit? I have his 3 years tax transcripts, but since his job is fairly new, he wont have many pay stubs. What else can be submitted? I was thinking an employment letter stating his salary or maybe a couple of recent pay stubs?

4. Should the sections in the I-864 that do not apply to us, be left blank or struck out or should we write N/A in each box that doesnt apply to us?

Thanks, all.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Related threads merged. Thread also moved to IR1/CR1 P&P - For Domicile questions please check the following link.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Please start by actually studying the I-864 instructions.  Download the same place as the form.  Then, study the form itself.  Your wife will provide an I-864 and her current income will be zero.  Her past income in the tax section will be the number from line 22 of her applicable tax returns.

Dad does an I-864 and mom an I-864a.  You and your wife are NOT part of her parents' "household" no matter where you live.  YOU are the intending immigrant.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.