asaeljethro

Advance Parole + Purchasing Airplane Tickets

34 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hey guys,

Been researching, and I want to get a definite answer.

My wife and I will be traveling to the Philippines next January. Her passport obviously has her maiden last name, she has my last name in Advance Parole (GreenCard pending). Marriage Certificate shows her having my last name. 

When we purchase airplane tickets, what last name should I have for her? her maiden or married last name?

Do you guys have any experiences on what happened?

K-1 Visa Timeline @ California Service Center  

03/19/17: Proposed @ Philippines  

03/28/17: Mailed I-129F Application via USPS Priority Mail to Texas Lockbox

04/03/17: Application was received

04/06/17: NOA1 Issued | Check cashed date

04/14/17: NOA1 Hardcopy Received

08/04/17: NOA2 (126 days from NOA1)

08/10/17: NOA2 Hardcopy Received

08/17/17: NVC Received Case

08/18/17: MNL Case # Assigned

09/05-06/17: St Lukes Medical

09/12/17: US Embassy Interview

09/18/17: Received Passport with Visa

XX/XX/17: CFO Seminar

11/26/17: POE

12/16/17: Married in Los Angeles

----------------------------------------------------------

AOS Timeline

05/12/18: Mailed AOS, AP, EAD via USPS Priority Mail to Chicago PO Box  

05/20/18: NOA1 Text Message

05/25/18: Received NOA1 Letters

06/02/18: Received Biometrics Appointment Letter

06/02/18: Received RFE #1

06/13/18: Biometrics Appointment @ Los Angeles 

07/11/18: Called to Expedite EAD due to financial loss

07/24/18: Received EAD Expedite Letter with it dated on 07/14/18

08/01/18: Successfully faxed EAD Expedite Documents to Fax # (Tried faxing for 5 days)

08/10/18: Replied and mailed RFE #1

08/14/18: Mailed letter to Senator Dianne Feinstein regarding Expedited EAD

10/22/18: Received EAD/AP Combo Card

07/17/19: Received Text Message that case was scheduled for interview

07/21/19: Received Letter for Appointment Date/Time

08/21/19: Interview @ SLC USCIS and approved. Later that night, received notification that card is being produced.

08/22/19: Received email that card is being mailed.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline
2 minutes ago, asaeljethro said:

Hey guys,

My wife and I will be traveling to the Philippines next January. Her passport obviously has her maiden last name, she has my last name in Advance Parole (GreenCard pending). Marriage Certificate shows her having my last name. 

When we purchase airplane tickets, what last name should I have for her? her maiden or married last name?

You could buy the ticket with her new name, and she also needs to change her old name on passport though her embassy in states 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline

Always book tickets under the name she has in her valid passport - so for you its maiden name. Don't forget to write a middle name etc. so it's exactly like in her passport. Carry AP and marriage certificate with you in case of CBP extra control.

The same thing happened to me 3 years ago. My travel documents were under married name, but passport was under maiden name.

I reserved my ticket for my married name since that was my official name at the time. I took my marriage certificate with me and had no problem at the airport, nor coming back to the US. They are familiar with issues like this. 

One more thing. If the online site where you buy the ticket asks for name as it appears in passport, just use the name as it is in passport. If not, use the name that's her current, valid name.

14 minutes ago, asaeljethro said:

Hey guys,

Always book the ticket with the name of the valid travel document she needs to use for the travel. e.g. if you fly outside of the US you need to present your passport....hence use the name that is in the passport. If you fly within the US, you only need to present your ID, hence use the name written on the US ID. I feel like it's common sense :whistle:

When she enters the US with her AP card which as her new married name, be prepared to show the marriage certificate since her passport name differs from her AP card name. 

I know people advise you to change the name in your passport. I am personally am not planning on taking a day off work to drive three hours to the consulate to get a new passport even though it's still valid for another 4 years. I'll change it once it expires.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, zsuzsanna said:

The same thing happened to me 3 years ago. My travel documents were under married name, but passport was under maiden name.

I reserved my ticket for my married name since that was my official name at the time. I took my marriage certificate with me and had no problem at the airport, nor coming back to the US. They are familiar with issues like this. 

hmm I'm confused now, the other poster above stated to reserve whatever is on the passport (which in her case her maiden name) but immigration/airport people didnt give you a problem with your plane ticket showing married name and passport having maiden name?

12 minutes ago, natsusnowy1204 said:

You could buy the ticket with her new name, and she also needs to change her old name on passport though her embassy in states 

We probably will do this in the future by next year when we receive her green card/passport expires

12 minutes ago, Marcelina said:

Always book tickets under the name she has in her valid passport - so for you its maiden name. Don't forget to write a middle name etc. so it's exactly like in her passport. Carry AP and marriage certificate with you in case of CBP extra control.

Ok so I'll just purchase a ticket under her maiden last name, I believe carrying the AP+Marriage Certificate is a must correct? because her k1 visa is only a 1 time entry.

AOS Timeline

08/01/18: Successfully faxed EAD Expedite Documents to Fax # (Tried faxing for 5 days)

08/21/19: Interview @ SLC USCIS and approved. Later that night, received notification that card is being produced.

22 minutes ago, asaeljethro said:

Hey guys,

I have had experience with this so don't worry. You book the tickets in the name that is in her passport and nothing else. It has to be the name in the passport and not the green card or AP paperwork. Also make sure you bring a copy of your marriage certificate with you for Philippines immigration.

I did this with my wife when we flew to the Philippines in 2016. We were married for 4 years but still had her passport in her married name.

Edited by cyberfx1024

8 minutes ago, zsuzsanna said:

Lots of airlines give you problems if you booked your ticket in a different name than your passport as the name needs to match your passport number. You were lucky they were apparently fine changing (or verifying it) it when you went to the airport and received your boarding pass. I've had so many friends having issues with this and ended up having to purchase a new ticket (no kidding)!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline

This thread shows up from time to time, under traveling section, check them out for example:

As the immigration officers are familiar with this and wont have a problem, I suggest traveling under passport name, bcs that's a valid document for airlines. Recently there have been cases of some airlines not letting passanger on board bcs they didnt include their 2nd name etc. So yeah passport is still her main travelling document, AP is for re-entereing states mainly. Carrying a copy of marriage certificate + AP is a must.

Edited by Marcelina

1 minute ago, Californiansunset said:

Lots of airlines give you problems if you booked your ticket in a different name than your passport as the name needs to match your passport number. You were lucky they were apparently fine changing (or verifying it) it when you went to the airport and received your boarding pass. I've had so many friends having issues with this and ended up having to purchase a new ticket (no kidding)!

When I bought my ticket online it asked for the name of the passenger, where I entered my married name. Further during where it also asked for name as it appears in passport, I entered my name as it appears in passport. So I think it's whatever the reservation is asking. And of course had my original marriage certificate with me. 

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Californiansunset said:

Always book the ticket with the name of the valid travel document she needs to use for the travel. e.g. if you fly outside of the US you need to present your passport....hence use the name that is in the passport. If you fly within the US, you only need to present your ID, hence use the name written on the US ID. I feel like it's common sense :whistle:

When she enters the US with her AP card which as her new married name, be prepared to show the marriage certificate since her passport name differs from her AP card name. 

I know people advise you to change the name in your passport. I am personally am not planning on taking a day off work to drive three hours to the consulate to get a new passport even though it's still valid for another 4 years. I'll change it once it expires.

Thanks for the reply, I was thinking exactly what you said, except just wanted to double check and confirm. and yes I do feel strongly and same as you with the passport last name change. thank you so much :) 

3 minutes ago, cyberfx1024 said:

I have had experience with this so don't worry. You book the tickets in the name that is in her passport and nothing else. It has to be the name in the passport and not the green card or AP paperwork. Also make sure you bring a copy of your marriage certificate with you for Philippines immigration.

I did this with my wife when we flew to the Philippines in 2016. We were married for 4 years but still had her passport in her married name.

Thank you so much! definitely answered my question.  Been looking for tickets lately to the Philippines and we will start booking this month.

AOS Timeline

5 minutes ago, asaeljethro said:

Thanks for the reply, I was thinking exactly what you said, except just wanted to double check and confirm. and yes I do feel strongly and same as you with the passport last name change. thank you so much :) 

Thank you so much! definitely answered my question.  Been looking for tickets lately to the Philippines and we will start booking this month.

Exactly my reason as well back in day because we would had to do the ROM to the embassy in DC all the while living in Los Angeles then do the passport when we got the ROM back. A whole bunch of ####### for something we already had. 

the consulate also expects you to register your marriage with the appropriate branch within a year of marriage, there is a minor fee associated with doing so

1 minute ago, zsuzsanna said:

When I bought my ticket online it asked for the name of the passenger, where I entered my married name. Further during where it also asked for name as it appears in passport, I entered my name as it appears in passport. So I think it's whatever the reservation is asking. And of course had my original marriage certificate with me. 

Okay it makes a difference though whether you are just making a reservation or actually booking your ticket. Most purchases are actually going through a booking procedure where each passenger already receives an e-ticket number 24-48 hours prior to the flight that will match your name. If it was an actual booking and you show up at the airport with a different name on your travel document it's a shitshow for them to change it. Because they already have generated an e-ticket number matching your name,  they have to then generate a new e-ticket number which from what I learned is surprisingly difficult for them as   their IT team that usually sits somewhere in Bangladesh or so needs to fix it. Yours seemed to be JUST a reservation, so you were lucky that it hadn't been actually booked under your name. Big difference.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.