AfricanQ

Spouse Visa (Ghana)

12 posts in this topic

Filed: R-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hello VJ

I'm back again....I am currently in Ghana for my wedding which took place April 14th.  I've also been busy gathering supporting documents for my next filling. Anyway, my husband and I went to open a joint bank account in Ghana and was told i need a permit to do that because am not a Ghana citizen.  Is there any other way to get a joint account without getting a permit?  My time here is limited....I'm planning on getting a permit for my next trip n adding it to the NVC stage. So far, we have joint capital one credit card. Would it be a problem not adding the joint checking/saving accounts when milling the forms?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hello, congrats on your marriage. You and your husband still have a bit of a journey ahead, and you've already experienced that the U.S. Embassy in Ghana is no easy walk in the park. It's good that you're doing what you can while in Ghana. You should also begin to focus on building up your bonafides on the U.S. side as soon as you get back. Very essential suggestions would be to put him on your health insurance plan, life insurance policy, other beneficiary documents, and above all, file him on your taxes as a spouse as soon as you are able. The tax issue is very important, but it is not easy since he won't have U.S. ID number. I have suggestions for that should you or your husband wish to follow up in private. I filed for my Ghanaian wife last year with success--she and our twins are by my side as I write this, so been there and done that, and willing to help if I can. 

Timeline
17 minutes ago, Aburashid said:

Hello, congrats on your marriage. You and your husband still have a bit of a journey ahead, and you've already experienced that the U.S. Embassy in Ghana is no easy walk in the park. It's good that you're doing what you can while in Ghana. You should also begin to focus on building up your bonafides on the U.S. side as soon as you get back. Very essential suggestions would be to put him on your health insurance plan, life insurance policy, other beneficiary documents, and above all, file him on your taxes as a spouse as soon as you are able. The tax issue is very important, but it is not easy since he won't have U.S. ID number. I have suggestions for that should you or your husband wish to follow up in private. I filed for my Ghanaian wife last year with success--she and our twins are by my side as I write this, so been there and done that, and willing to help if I can. 

Wow, thank you very much and congrats on ur family. Reglading the tax, my tax has been filed already before i arrived to Ghana n got married. I'd checked on filling as married and was told that I wasn't married in 2017 to add him. Other than that, he on everything I'm able to add him on

Here is the thing...I am not sure or positive if anyone can open accounts without having the countries identifier like SS#(as in states). Why exactly did you need that. You guys would have been together a considerable amount of time now. I would just focus on enjoying the company. Just make sure he has all papers of police certificates, birth certificates (yours and his), your financials together, tax papers, put NRA when you print out your returns ( would not apply since you didnt file yet (right?)..So because you just got married 2018...2015,2016, 2017,2018 tax I believe...Proof of visits, stamps in passport and boarding passing etc., pictures labelled (real ones)...Doing the mundane (like ironning clothes etc....

I send my best to you all... Much love and favor

Timeline
19 minutes ago, waiting561 said:

Here is the thing...I am not sure or positive if anyone can open accounts without having the countries identifier like SS#(as in states). Why exactly did you need that. You guys would have been together a considerable amount of time now. I would just focus on enjoying the company. Just make sure he has all papers of police certificates, birth certificates (yours and his), your financials together, tax papers, put NRA when you print out your returns ( would not apply since you didnt file yet (right?)..So because you just got married 2018...2015,2016, 2017,2018 tax I believe...Proof of visits, stamps in passport and boarding passing etc., pictures labelled (real ones)...Doing the mundane (like ironning clothes etc....

I filed before getting married. I was told not to add him because we weren't married in 2017. Ill start filling as married on 2018 tax

20 minutes ago, waiting561 said:

I filed before getting married. I was told not to add him because we weren't married in 2017. Ill start filling as married on 2018 tax

Timeline
28 minutes ago, AfricanQ said:

We plan on having joint accounts in Ghana as well as the states as prove of "joint finainal". We already have a joint "capital one" credit card. I was able to add him as a second authorized user.  I've already filed my 2017 tax as "single" because I wasn't married in 2017 and I sure was married until after I filed. What do I do now?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

For what its worth, my husband wasn’t added to my bank account or any of my credit cards until he was approved and in America. I added him to my health insurance and as beneficiary of a couple things. (I know not everyone can do that.) They never questioned the financal stuff at  the interview. 

Firstly, joint bank account is only one of the many ways you can provide evidence of a bonafide relationship. It isn't really a dealbreaker, in my opinion. As suggested above, there are other things you can use. I am a joint account holder with my husband but I didn't even submit that for the i130 petition.

Secondly, I know that a foreign citizen can open a joint bank account with you in the US itself. I did that with Wells Fargo when I visited on ESTA. I just needed my passport, and gave my husband's (then boyfriend) mailing address. I am not sure they will do it for you if your husband isn't there, but you can always call and ask.

Hope this helps!

Hey! :)
I can't help you, just wanted to say congratulations on your marriage!
I'm glad you are taking actions after all the drama with the K1 (Remember, we had the exact same NOA1 date), and that you are positive and moving on!

Good luck for your new process, and may it end happily ever after with you both together! :)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

While you are there download the I 130 application and do it together 

Also get a POA from him as you will find it helpful later especially if you apply with 2018 taxes for ITIN and want to add him to bank account or anything else here

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
9 hours ago, AfricanQ said:

No offense, please but one thing is critical you get your mind around right now.  Be all about truth and accuracy.  You knew you weren't married so there is nothing to "check on" about filing married.  Remove all that kind of thinking from both your heads.  Nothing contrived.  Nothing.

That list of items that comes after the words, "in addition to the required" is just that, a list of possible kinds of relationship evidence.  Most of it is not applicable to newlyweds.  Concentrate on what IS real.  For newlyweds it's usually evidence of time spent together in person.  The hard (primary) evidence of that will be passport stamps and/or boarding passes showing the time you were together in person.  Additional evidence will be photos together and examples of how and how frequently you communicate.

Suggestions like making him beneficiary to 401k and life insurance etc. are good because that's what people in bona fide marriages DO.  It might be either impossible or quite costly to add him to your medical insurance at work, since he won't be using it, but it's worth checking into.

If you intend to change your name based on the marriage, then start using it right away including on the forms you file.  Do as much REAL, ACCURATE, and HONEST front loading of your petition as is practical, because Accra sees a lot of immigration fraud.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.