yippy_j

Share a rather unpleasant experience on global entry interview in Seattle

23 posts in this topic

My status: Conditional green card expired. Received my extension letter

So I went to Sea-Tac airport for my global entry interview today. Based on what I have read so far, I was expecting a rather quick conversation with the officer but I was totally wrong. The officer asked me what my previous status was, which was F1. Then he started to ask me very specific question about the timeline when I transitioned into green card, when I got my opt and whether I fell out of status any time before I got my green card. I was caught completely off guard since

1. it was very early in the morning

2. I thought they had done some background check on me already

So I asked the officer, can't you see it on my application?

Then he became super defensive asking me:" you don't know what I can see." 

At one point he was requesting me to give him my previous i-20 information for the global entry approval. 

By the very end of the interview, I told him I might not have the i-20 papers anymore. I tried really hard to remember the timing of me transitioning into green card and the period of me working for different employer and explain to him. At very last, he approved my application mumbling tons of stuffs and talking to himself.

I want to share my experience to just let you guys know be prepared with the timelines of you status. Not every immigration officer will let you sly thru the global interview easily

He probably could see the info already, but they want to both verify the information and want to make sure you're being honest with him / not being evasive.

He also seems like somebody that is kinda full of himself. ;)

Congrats on the approval.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I"m curious how you were able to apply and be approved as I thought you have to have a valid physical card for Global Entry? When I've looked at applying, it won't let me continue with the application with an expired card while I wait for the ROC to be complete.  

Just curious since I wanted to apply for Global Entry, but have not been able to figure out how while I'm waiting for the ROC review to be complete.

10 minutes ago, CanadaToCT said:

I"m curious how you were able to apply and be approved as I thought you have to have a valid physical card for Global Entry? When I've looked at applying, it won't let me continue with the application with an expired card while I wait for the ROC to be complete.  

Just curious since I wanted to apply for Global Entry, but have not been able to figure out how while I'm waiting for the ROC review to be complete.

I applied it before my conditional green card expired. Only schedule the interview after my green card expired. So I think the system won't let you enter an date for expiration before today.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Yemen
Timeline

So...what would have happened if you didn't have satisfactory answers to these questions? I mean beyond the obvious of not having your Global Entry approved. I can't imagine the gentleman in this case having any say over whether or not your ROC was approved or your eventual citizenship application (assuming that's your ultimate goal).

Timeline
32 minutes ago, yippy_j said:

I applied it before my conditional green card expired. Only schedule the interview after my green card expired. So I think the system won't let you enter an date for expiration before today.

That's what I thought.  Thanks.

4 hours ago, fascinating123 said:

So...what would have happened if you didn't have satisfactory answers to these questions? I mean beyond the obvious of not having your Global Entry approved. I can't imagine the gentleman in this case having any say over whether or not your ROC was approved or your eventual citizenship application (assuming that's your ultimate goal).

Well he is a federal agent thats taking notes of what you’re saying. 

If you stick to your legitimate timelines nothing will or can come of it. But if everything is mixed up and you start talking out of your ###, of course it can be used against you. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Not sure whether the Global Entry will be valid for entry into the US using the Kiosks. My spouse and I got the Global Entry, however, when his Green Card was valid. It is now expired. At JFK, the CPB officer told us that he cannot use the Kiosks. When we tried to scan the card, the system rejected as GC expired. 

You basically now have a GE card that is good for TSA Pre-check. I do have a better process to get you in faster through the lines IF you are travelling with your USC spouse. Ask the line attendant that your card won't scan, so she will have your Spouse sign in using his or her US Passport, then at JFK they will let you go through the USC Immigration lines which are shorter. You are both processed together. (It worked the last two times for us at least).

As I said before, Terminal 4 Immigration lines are very fast though

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
7 hours ago, yippy_j said:

My status: Conditional green card expired. Received my extension letter

So I went to Sea-Tac airport for my global entry interview today. Based on what I have read so far, I was expecting a rather quick conversation with the officer but I was totally wrong. The officer asked me what my previous status was, which was F1. Then he started to ask me very specific question about the timeline when I transitioned into green card, when I got my opt and whether I fell out of status any time before I got my green card. I was caught completely off guard since

1. it was very early in the morning

2. I thought they had done some background check on me already

So I asked the officer, can't you see it on my application?

Then he became super defensive asking me:" you don't know what I can see." 

At one point he was requesting me to give him my previous i-20 information for the global entry approval. 

By the very end of the interview, I told him I might not have the i-20 papers anymore. I tried really hard to remember the timing of me transitioning into green card and the period of me working for different employer and explain to him. At very last, he approved my application mumbling tons of stuffs and talking to himself.

I want to share my experience to just let you guys know be prepared with the timelines of you status. Not every immigration officer will let you sly thru the global interview easily

Congrats.  You were lucky you got approved.  My wife and I applied and had an interview last year.  I was born here and my wife natualized several years ago. 

At the interview we had all the usual questions, then the interviewer asked me if I had ever bought anything from China.  I told him yes, I have ordered items on ebay that have been shipped to me from China.  Then he asked me if I had ever bought a watch from China.  I told him, truthfully, that I had never bought a watch online especially from China.  He looked at me and asked the same question again.  Then it dawned on me that a few years ago my wife bought a watch on ebay that she never got as it was a knock off and intercepted by customs.  I told the interviewer about what happened.  We had to fill out paperwork telling them we did not want the watch.  This made us immediately ineligible for global entry. We were rejected.  Didn't even get TSA precheck out of it.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Neonred said:

Congrats.  You were lucky you got approved.  My wife and I applied and had an interview last year.  I was born here and my wife natualized several years ago. 

At the interview we had all the usual questions, then the interviewer asked me if I had ever bought anything from China.  I told him yes, I have ordered items on ebay that have been shipped to me from China.  Then he asked me if I had ever bought a watch from China.  I told him, truthfully, that I had never bought a watch online especially from China.  He looked at me and asked the same question again.  Then it dawned on me that a few years ago my wife bought a watch on ebay that she never got as it was a knock off and intercepted by customs.  I told the interviewer about what happened.  We had to fill out paperwork telling them we did not want the watch.  This made us immediately ineligible for global entry. We were rejected.  Didn't even get TSA precheck out of it.

Wow...this has been the most amazing thing I have heard all week!!! A watch???? I did notice as a USC I had to be interviewed AGAIN for a renewal Global Entry Card. Had to schlepp all the way to JFK, pay $18 to park and half a day off work.....for what? To retake my fingerprints and and tell me to destroy my old card....:-(

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Portugal
Timeline
7 hours ago, CanadaToCT said:

Here's our data point, in case it helps: My wife successfully applied for Global Entry while waiting for ROC. We followed instructions from an officer, who said to add exactly one year to the expiration date of the conditional green card (i.e. the one-year extension noted in the letter) when asked to enter the GC expiration date in the online application. She did that, had the interview, and was approved with no issues.

(Actually using Global Entry was another matter; she was able to cut the line and go to the front to speak with an officer, but could not use the kiosks themselves until the 10-year GC eventually came. We knew this in advance. To us, though, it was worth it to have PreCheck together during the ROC wait.)

My husband applied for and got GE with a conditional card, and it worked great going through customs. He's got an extension letter now though, so especially if he flies alone he prepared for long lines. Seems a bit of a waste after paying for the GE, but I think it is still worth it if you fly frequently.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Yemen
Timeline
13 hours ago, ApplyingforN400 said:

Well he is a federal agent thats taking notes of what you’re saying. 

If you stick to your legitimate timelines nothing will or can come of it. But if everything is mixed up and you start talking out of your ###, of course it can be used against you. 

I mean you don't have to tell me not to trust federal agents, that's par for the course.

But, ROC is not AOS. I would hope that USCIS is not re-examining their original findings when they approved the conditional Green Card in the first place. The purpose of ROC (supposedly) is to make sure the PR is still married to the same US citizen and that the marriage is still legitimate.

Also by "unsatisfactory answers" I don't merely mean having an inconsistent story. Plenty of people who did AOS did in fact fall out of status, and were it not for the marriage would have had to go back to their country of citizenship. Precedent is that legitimate marriages overrule that fall out of status. I'm wondering if a previously approved Green Card (approved with the knowledge that the applicant had fallen out of status) would have ROC denied because of the current climate.

This story is a prime reason why I won't be suggesting that my wife apply for Global Entry. She for sure wouldn't remember her timeline. She barely remembers what she had for breakfast yesterday.

Timeline
12 hours ago, Neonred said:

Wow

ftiq8me9uwr01.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.