Hank_

K-1 Checklist for interview - Financial Documents

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

The embassy is slowly correcting and updating their new checklist (I keep contacting them to question items I see that are totally different from the old instruction letter, the embassy then replies to my email letting me know they will look into it, then in a few days the wording is changed in the checklist ;) ).  One think that has drawn my attention is the new wording for financial documents along with the link to the requirements  

The new wording no longer states MAY, it is now worded MUST provide evidence.  Does this mean the embassy will now be asking for financial documents with each applicant again? 

The link to the DOS website clearly states only 100% of gross income is required with the I-134.  Whereas the 125% does apply to the I-864.   Now we have known for years the DOS website has stated 100%, yet the embassy has always demanded 125% with the I-134, does this new checklist mean that 125% will no longer be required with the K-1?    Curious to see what comes of this.    Would appreciate feedback from those that complete their interviews.

FINANCIAL DOCUMENTS. Applicants must provide evidence that they will not become public charge in the U.S. You may visit the Department of State website for the proper Affidavit of Support information.

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

The embassy is slowly correcting and updating their new checklist (I keep contacting them to question items I see that are totally different from the old instruction letter, the embassy then replies to my email letting me know they will look into it, then in a few days the wording is changed in the checklist ;) ).  One think that has drawn my attention is the new wording for financial documents along with the link to the requirements  

The new wording no longer states MAY, it is now worded MUST provide evidence.  Does this mean the embassy will now be asking for financial documents with each applicant again? 

The link to the DOS website clearly states only 100% of gross income is required with the I-134.  Whereas the 125% does apply to the I-864.   Now we have known for years the DOS website has stated 100%, yet the embassy has always demanded 125% with the I-134, does this new checklist mean that 125% will no longer be required with the K-1?    Curious to see what comes of this.    Would appreciate feedback from those that complete their interviews.

FINANCIAL DOCUMENTS. Applicants must provide evidence that they will not become public charge in the U.S. You may visit the Department of State website for the proper Affidavit of Support information.

Manila has always seemed to be random in checks of the I-134 from what I have seen.

Obviously you go into the interview prepared with all paperwork needed ready to provide; but then sometimes they have not asked to even see the I-134 form or any documents (for K-1 at least that I am aware of). We weren't asked to show anything even though he had everything ready to hand to them. Now, why is this... I think something that could determine the outcome is the review of the original I-129f petition, for instance, mine shows one full time job from that current time to the previous 5 years. So that shows stable, long term work which maybe makes them just go "No need to see it" and they feel comfortable. Where as someone who has 4-5 different jobs over same time frame maybe seems erratic and unstable and so they want to review their income to ensure they have the adequate funds.... 

Perhaps this update is going to make the I-134 actually required; or they are just correcting themselves on their requirements for the I-134. Either way, always is at the CO's discretion whether they believe someone may become a public charge or not; but will be interesting over next few weeks/months how this is implemented for people going through the process.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Timeline
17 minutes ago, Ben&Zian said:

Manila has always seemed to be random in checks of the I-134 from what I have seen.

Obviously you go into the interview prepared with all paperwork needed ready to provide; but then sometimes they have not asked to even see the I-134 form or any documents (for K-1 at least that I am aware of). We weren't asked to show anything even though he had everything ready to hand to them. Now, why is this... I think something that could determine the outcome is the review of the original I-129f petition, for instance, mine shows one full time job from that current time to the previous 5 years. So that shows stable, long term work which maybe makes them just go "No need to see it" and they feel comfortable. Where as someone who has 4-5 different jobs over same time frame maybe seems erratic and unstable and so they want to review their income to ensure they have the adequate funds.... 

Perhaps this update is going to make the I-134 actually required; or they are just correcting themselves on their requirements for the I-134. Either way, always is at the CO's discretion whether they believe someone may become a public charge or not; but will be interesting over next few weeks/months how this is implemented for people going through the process.

"has always"    .. the embassy has released a new checklist and retired the instructions letter.. and with it new wording/requirements.have appeared.

In regards to the financial documents, before 2016 the wording was SHOULD PROVIDE, then the 2016 instructions changed the wording to MAY PROVIDE (and this is where we started telling people it is not required but may be asked for so - be prepared).  Now for 2018 the wording is MUST PROVIDE

Edited by Hank_

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

As you guys have always said: Have all your paperwork ready...so no change really, other then they may actually look at the paperwork being requested. I don't really see a downside to this other then people who aren't using VisaJourney to help them. But even then it clearly states to have it ready (I-134). Now, the 100% vs 125% could be an issue for some people, but if your that close financially it could be a little harder for you. 

Will see how this pan's out. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, javadown2 said:

As you guys have always said: Have all your paperwork ready...so no change really, other then they may actually look at the paperwork being requested. I don't really see a downside to this other then people who aren't using VisaJourney to help them. But even then it clearly states to have it ready (I-134). Now, the 100% vs 125% could be an issue for some people, but if your that close financially it could be a little harder for you. 

Will see how this pan's out. 

When they first posted the checklist it was an exact copy of the checklist for the Immigrant visa, tons of items that don't "cross over" between the two ... if a K-1 followed it they would have gotten tons of stuff wrong, and most likely a 221g.  Can't believe the embassy didn't proof any of it before publishing.  Then after I asked them about the 1st discrepancy they said they would review the checklist, all they did was correct the one item I noted ...  I ended up having regular emails going for awhile with the embassy.     

I am really curious if they will start asking for financial docs again (which I always told folks to have anyway),  but the other question that lingers with me is  if they follow DOS at 100% or stick with their old requirement of 125%  .

With the K-1 I feel it should stay at 125% as it will be required for AOS in just a few months anyway.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, Hank_ said:

When they first posted the checklist it was an exact copy of the checklist for the Immigrant visa, tons of items that don't "cross over" between the two ... if a K-1 followed it they would have gotten tons of stuff wrong, and most likely a 221g.  Can't believe the embassy didn't proof any of it before publishing.  Then after I asked them about the 1st discrepancy they said they would review the checklist, all they did was correct the one item I noted ...  I ended up having regular emails going for awhile with the embassy.     

I am really curious if they will start asking for financial docs again (which I always told folks to have anyway),  but the other question that lingers with me is  if they follow DOS at 100% or stick with their old requirement of 125%  .

With the K-1 I feel it should stay at 125% as it will be required for AOS in just a few months anyway.

Either/or they are really really busy (I'm sure they are) or someone who was tasked with putting up the website content wasn't very competent with the process(really how hard is it to go onto the USCIS website and review the requirements!). heck they could just log onto this website and get it!

Timeline
1 hour ago, javadown2 said:

Either/or they are really really busy (I'm sure they are) or someone who was tasked with putting up the website content wasn't very competent with the process(really how hard is it to go onto the USCIS website and review the requirements!). heck they could just log onto this website and get it!

USCIS has nothing to do with the embassy process, embassies fall under the DOS  ... 

My bet is they told there "webmaster" to put up the pages, and didn't give him clear direction on content.  Lazy comes to mind.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Rose and the kids interviewed on Tuesday April 17.  The CO did not ask for financial information or proof of relationship.  All they required were birth certificates, police certificates and the divorce and annulment paperwork.  Nothing else was requested.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Timeline
8 hours ago, John & Rose said:

Rose and the kids interviewed on Tuesday April 17.  The CO did not ask for financial information or proof of relationship.  All they required were birth certificates, police certificates and the divorce and annulment paperwork.  Nothing else was requested.

Thanks.  So business as usual, even though they stated different in the new checklist .. gotta love it ..  :lol:  

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Just now, Hank_ said:

Thanks.  So business as usual, even though they stated different in the new checklist .. gotta love it ..  :lol:  

They just want to make sure everybody stays confused. I was amazed at how smoothly they ran things though. I’m glad we were completely prepared even though a lot of it wasn’t  needed. Again, I thank you for taking the time and energy to keep the site up. All questions were answered there. 

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Timeline
1 minute ago, John & Rose said:

They just want to make sure everybody stays confused. I was amazed at how smoothly they ran things though. I’m glad we were completely prepared even though a lot of it wasn’t  needed. Again, I thank you for taking the time and energy to keep the site up. All questions were answered there. 

I try .. I follow the embassy checklist, and they try to make note on things I learn else wise.   I do appreciate the updates.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.