CitizenJ

How long will my wife's GC be good for?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

My wife received her GC in February of 2015. Her and I stayed in America until June of 2017 (2 years and 4 months) before traveling back to her home country of China where we've been ever since (10 months). If we return to America now, will it be a problem? Will they revoke her GC? If not, how much of her time spent out of the country will count towards her '3 year waiting period'? Thanks.

timeline in layman's terms:

Submitted I-130 (in person) - September 16th, 2014

I-130 Approved - November 12th, 2014

Received an e-mail prompting me and my wife to complete form DS-260 and submit some documents to a bank (NOA2?) - November 28th, 2014

Submitted documents to bank - December 4th, 2014

Received an e-mail instructing me and my wife to schedule an interview appointment - December 18th, 2014

How long were you married before she received her green card?  What does it say as per the expiration date?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline
1 hour ago, CitizenJ said:

My wife received her GC in February of 2015. Her and I stayed in America until June of 2017 (2 years and 4 months) before traveling back to her home country of China where we've been ever since (10 months). If we return to America now, will it be a problem? Will they revoke her GC? If not, how much of her time spent out of the country will count towards her '3 year waiting period'? Thanks.

It can go 2 ways..that they apply that she "abandoned" her Resident status by being outside that long or that everything is fine and they let her in. Normally you can travel and so on but as long as you come back to the US which is why she got the GC (so she would live here and not go back suddenly to her country). I saw in a .gov site that if she stays for a year or more outside she might have problems so..I would say it's time to come back. You could always message CBP before doing so to make sure everything will be alright. 

K1 Visa Process

Nov. 2016 - Applied for K1 Visa
Nov. 2016 - NOA1 

April 2017 - NOA2 (6 months!)

April 2017 - Arrived to NVC

April 2017 - Got the # from NVC

May 2017 - Case left NVC

May 2017 - Arrived to Embassy

May 2017 - Got Package 3 

May 2017- Got Package 4

May 2017 - Interview [APPROVED!]

June 2017 - Visa arrived home

June 2017 - Made it to the US. Finally with my future hubby!!

July 2017 - Married!

AOS Process

August 2017 - Started AOS

August 2017 - NOA1

Sept. 2017 - Biometrics

19th Dec. 2018 - Interview date  [16 months]

Dec. 2018 - GC processing

29th Dec. 2018 - GC arrived home! [10 days!]
Remove Conditions - Soon...

Timeline
52 minutes ago, NikLR said:

How long were you married before she received her green card?  What does it say as per the expiration date?

We were married for about 3 years before she received her GC. The expiration date? I think it's a 10 year GC - meaning it would expire in 2026.

Received an e-mail prompting me and my wife to complete form DS-260 and submit some documents to a bank (NOA2?) - November 28th, 2014

Received an e-mail instructing me and my wife to schedule an interview appointment - December 18th, 2014

Timeline
14 minutes ago, Andsco said:

It can go 2 ways..that they apply that she "abandoned" her Resident status by being outside that long or that everything is fine and they let her in. Normally you can travel and so on but as long as you come back to the US which is why she got the GC (so she would live here and not go back suddenly to her country). I saw in a .gov site that if she stays for a year or more outside she might have problems so..I would say it's time to come back. You could always message CBP before doing so to make sure everything will be alright. 

What's CBP? So you don't think any of her time outside of the country would count towards her citizenship?

2 hours ago, CitizenJ said:

What's CBP? So you don't think any of her time outside of the country would count towards her citizenship?

No it doesn't.  Anything over 6 months hinders citizenship.  CBP is customs and border patrol.  They work for the US Dept of Homeland Security. 

2 hours ago, CitizenJ said:

We were married for about 3 years before she received her GC. The expiration date? I think it's a 10 year GC - meaning it would expire in 2026.

Well that's good.  Suggest she returns before the 1 year outside.  I hope you guys kept domicile in the USA.  She may need to prove she has not abandoned her residency.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.