JackG

Timeline to be contact by NVC?

7 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I'm new here and I'm trying to figure out timelines. I apologize if this has been belabored, but I've only seen vague references to what I'm talking about and those are older posts from what I can tell.

I have a lawyer that so far has not been helpful with any indication of timelines. I'm very frustrated with them. However, My spouse and I were married in June of last year and we filed the paperwork. Our priority date is June 21, 2017. I received approval of my petition from the USCIS on January 26, 2018, transmitted to NVC on February 1, 2018. From what I can tell that is around average, but on the earlier side. However, it's now been 78 days and we have not heard a thing. Our lawyer said they would check on something for me but it's been almost 3 weeks and they haven't heard anything either. Is this normal? How long does it take on average to be contacted by the NVC? Of course my and my spouse's anxiety is through the roof as I'm sure most here understand. Any input is much appreciated.

The NVC doesn't really contact you, you need to take initiative and call them (Usually on a weekly basis) after your petition is approved by USCIS to confirm when the petition was received by them and what the Case and Invoice number are. All you need is your USCIS receipt number and you should be able to call them to check the status. You don't really need to rely on a lawyer for that at all.

The wait time between the NVC receiving it and providing a case number seems to be around 8-10 weeks based on what most people are saying on here. We're probably about at that time-frame now assuming the NVC received your case shortly after Feb 1st.

Thanks much for your response, ZAKMrak. Believe it or not, this morning we received an email sent just after midnight with our case number, 79 days after it was transmitted to the NVC by USCIS.

Our lawyer is handling the fee and paperwork for us so, hopefully that won't take long. Interestingly, the lawyer told me this morning that they appear to have changed the process at the NVC to an online version (it appears new, he said). All he does is immigration so I assumed he would be familiar with it all, but it seems like it is a novelty to him. Just an FYI to folks.

Best,

Jack

6 hours ago, Cynthia Reneau said:

Took us 11 weeks to get a case number through NVC..  11 weeks!!!  Now we paid the first fee and it's another wait. Hurry up and wait.. 

Wow, I'm sorry. We just heard the day after I posted (79 days) Now we need to pay the fee and submit the documents. Our lawyer is handling most of it for us. But the waiting is torture. Now I'm just  trying to figure out how long it will take from here. Best of luck!

On 4/19/2018 at 10:45 AM, JackG said:

Thanks much for your response, ZAKMrak. Believe it or not, this morning we received an email sent just after midnight with our case number, 79 days after it was transmitted to the NVC by USCIS.

Our lawyer is handling the fee and paperwork for us so, hopefully that won't take long. Interestingly, the lawyer told me this morning that they appear to have changed the process at the NVC to an online version (it appears new, he said). All he does is immigration so I assumed he would be familiar with it all, but it seems like it is a novelty to him. Just an FYI to folks.

Best,

Jack

That's great news, congrats!

I am only two weeks in after the receive date, just trying to get the paperwork ready in advance now. I have a ways to go..

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 11:27 AM, ZakMrak said:

That's great news, congrats!

I am only two weeks in after the receive date, just trying to get the paperwork ready in advance now. I have a ways to go..

Best of luck as well. I suppose now is a waiting game for me. The lawyer fortunately is handling my paperwork. I don't think I could deal with the stress of assembling and submitting it all, as well.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.