56 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hi everyone, 
This is a very broad question, but we need a good direction to get started and this website seems to be filled with answers. So any help would be greatly appreciated. 
My girlfriend and I, after being together in Sweden for three years, have decided to move back to my home state and we are wondering what is the fastest and most guaranteed way of obtaining a green card for her. Sponsorship through a job seems to be very difficult, so it feels like we are left with three options. The first would be applying for a fiance visa. And the other two would be through marriage, either here in Sweden or in the states. We want to move back to the US as soon as possible, so what is our smartest option? Fiance, Marriage in Sweden, Marriage in US, or some mystery choice?. 
Thanks in advance for any advice. 
Cheers

No path is guaranteed, but family-based immigration (especially from a low-fraud country like Sweden) would likely be the best way to go.

Since DCF is generally not available in Sweden, a K-1 (fiance) would be the fastest. ETA: ~8-10 months on average right now.

With the K-1 option, there's a period of ~4-6 months where you can't work or travel abroad....which is a killer for some people. It's also more expensive.

If you're willing to wait a few months longer, getting married and doing the CR-1 (spousal) visa would be better. It lets you travel abroad, work, etc. right away since you get permanent residency at entry. Where you marry doesn't matter...that's a personal choice. Doing it in the US or not won't make it go any faster.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Personally if I had to redo this ..i would have gotten married first. because i came to the usa and couldn't work etc. You may be out of the usa for a while longer but it's not that much longer than the k1 process at the end of the day.  Good luck 

Edited by Marzena & Stephen

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

K1 means not working for a long time, is that a deal breaker?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

When my husband and I were contemplating between K-1 and CR-1, my primary concerns were money. Considering that K-1 is more expensive and that I would not be able to work for a few months, it made no sense to go that route when I could continue making money back home while waiting out the immigration process. The other thing is that being from a VWP country, going over to see him during the wait, if so desired, wasn't going to be a huge problem. I have always felt that the K-1 visa might be more suitable for those who find it hard to obtain tourist visas to visit, as it allows the couple to be together sooner. So at the end of the day, it depends on what is important to both of you.

*~*~*moved Fromm "IR-1/CR-1 spouse visa process and procedures" to "what visa do I need" as OP is still considering the options*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

4 hours ago, Nevad@ said:

How much does AOS cost in total?

$1225 for a k1 AOSK1 Visa is $800 plus medical and police certificates and travel. So $2025.

CR1 is $1240 plus medical, police certs and travel.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Ssn is free.  Gc is included in the price I quoted for cr1

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

now i feel like we should go for the CR1 way, but we already have a NOA1 from k1 process, we choose K1 because we wanna be together as soon as possible... and K1 was the fastest way, like i will just sell all my stuff and will help with money during the time i cant work...

But after reading all these things CR1 make sense ... more than K1... but naahhh regrets for later... Good luck guys :D

04/04/18  - Mailed I-129F

04/06/18 -  NOA1 notice date email/text

10/18/18 -  RFE notification

10/22/18 -  RFE received in mail

11/01/18 -  RFE sent to USCIS

11/06/18 -  RFE received by USCIS

11/14/18 -  NOA2

11/27/18 - NVC Received

12/12/18 - NVC Case number

01/8/19 - Scheduled interview-APPROVED

01/21/19 - POE! 

Your absence has not taught me how to be alone; it has merely shown me that when together we cast a single shadow on the wall.

Ky-G team ❤️

When you walk awayI count the steps that you take

age.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

For us, a major deciding factor was where we wanted to get married. It was more important to both of us that my parents be able to attend the wedding than it was for his mom to attend (neither of our parents were able to travel to the other country). If family/friends being able to attend or not matters to you or your fiance, that might be a consideration as well as financial. 

1 hour ago, Kyle&Ana said:

now i feel like we should go for the CR1 way, but we already have a NOA1 from k1 process, we choose K1 because we wanna be together as soon as possible... and K1 was the fastest way, like i will just sell all my stuff and will help with money during the time i cant work...

But after reading all these things CR1 make sense ... more than K1... but naahhh regrets for later... Good luck guys :D

Yeah, there are many many members on VJ that had the same sentiments as you. Including my wife and I now that we look back. The first few months of her here not being able to work was kind of rough. Not financially, but she was in a bad place. She was away from family and had nothing (like a job) to take her mind away from that. 

Too many people gravitate to the K1 visa because of the premise that you will be together sooner. But when you look at the complete picture and with the current delay in timelines, it really isn't worth it. 

Edited by NuestraUnion

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

OMG 3 months! and i work since i was 17 years old and i really love to do it... I'm already like trying to figure out if i can study, volunteer, make over to our future apartment... but Def, not just at home with netflix all day :/

maybe trying to be Optimistic would be like a time for learn how to make new things! i hope i don't get crazy! 

18 minutes ago, NuestraUnion said:

Yeah, there are many many members on VJ that had the same sentiments as you. Including my wife and I now that we look back. The first few months of her here not being able to work was kind of rough. Not financially but she was in a bad place. She was away from family and had nothing (like a job) to take her mind away from that. 

Too many people gravitate to the K1 visa because of the premise that you will be together sooner. But when you look at the complete picture and with the current delay in timelines, it really isn't worth it. 

Edited by Kyle&Ana

04/04/18  - Mailed I-129F

04/06/18 -  NOA1 notice date email/text

10/18/18 -  RFE notification

10/22/18 -  RFE received in mail

11/01/18 -  RFE sent to USCIS

11/06/18 -  RFE received by USCIS

11/14/18 -  NOA2

11/27/18 - NVC Received

12/12/18 - NVC Case number

01/8/19 - Scheduled interview-APPROVED

01/21/19 - POE! 

Your absence has not taught me how to be alone; it has merely shown me that when together we cast a single shadow on the wall.

Ky-G team ❤️

When you walk awayI count the steps that you take

age.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.