Lorna&Alex

standard tourist travel insurance for first month in the US on k1 visa

27 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

hey guys :)
I'm moving to the US on my K1 visa in June and I'm just starting to look into health care options for when I'm living there. My fiance works for a small company and they don't provide a healthcare plan for him, he just pays his own each month. So after we're married in July, I'll probably just try and get added on to his plan for the first few months until I start working. However, I have a month in the US between moving and then actually getting married...during this time has anyone ever bought just regular tourist travel insurance to cover them for the first month they're in the US before they get a proper US healthcare plan? 

Timeline

Should get the info u need there. Hope it's not out dated. Good luck.

event.png

https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/landing.do OLD SITE

https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov/ NEW SITE

https://www.house.gov/representatives US Congressmen 

https://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm US Senators 

IN REGARDS TO WHICH DATE TO USE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

noa1 date is actually they date on ur hard copy. Sadly if u reach the magical 220 day u must wait till 225 to contact Uscis. They use what the new site says. Even if ur paper says X date. 

They added 5 days onto everyone’s accepted on NOA1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You are immigrating not travelling.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Dee elle said:

The gray area between  arriving on k1 and submitting the AOS can be covered by the travel insurance, as long as you are prepared to be repatriated to the home country if major medical is required.. 

And do not mention to the Insurer that you have migrated and they do not find out.

And happy waiting a year or so to get back.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Boiler said:

You are immigrating not travelling.

Yes, I am aware of that thank you. 

4 minutes ago, Boiler said:

And do not mention to the Insurer that you have migrated and they do not find out.

And happy waiting a year or so to get back.

what do you mean by waiting a year or so to get back? Are you implying that AP is taking at least a year to be approved?

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Dee elle said:

Yes. Purchase international travel insurance.. to cover major medical.. for the 90 days that your I 94 entry will be valid so you have  buffer of  a coup,e of months to enable you to get things sorted.. you won't believe how contorted and difficult manoevering the US health care and health insurance is.. no more one simple phone call and it's done.. 😭🤤😭😯

thanks for the info :) it is such a grey area! i'm just trying to do the right thing in terms of insurance for the first month but it doesn't seem so easy now lol

Timeline
49 minutes ago, Lorna&Alex said:

Yes, I am aware of that thank you. 

what do you mean by waiting a year or so to get back? Are you implying that AP is taking at least a year to be approved?

You move you get married you have 4 months or so before AP/EAD

You get sick whatever so the first thing the Travel Insurer does is get you back to the UK.

Spouse then needs to file for a Cr1, think is about 14 months or so.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

I bought temporary (6 weeks) insurance for my fiance through Seven Corners/ Liason Majestic (who acts as an agent), the insurance card and coverage was from United Healthcare.

Went with high coverage amount and high deductible since we do not plan to use it. She will be covered under my employers plan starting May 1st. 

https://www.americanvisitorinsurance.com/visa-insurance/fiancee.asp

https://www.***removed***.com/fiance-visa-medical-insurance/

http://www.lovevisalife.com/2017/02/temporary-health-insurance/

Some links I found when I was researching, went with Seven corners/United which is in the 1st link and when you get quotes called Liason Majestic.

AjIr9Cp.jpgVBcIOnI.giftCxpVPB.gif19B8PJM.gifWJvjtpL.gifv0iSLWp.gif

2079070924_Webp.net-resizeimage(3).png.40aa360e06b2e929a52d4af17362bc4a.png

jDSUBz2.gif

Timeline
23 minutes ago, George & Roth said:

I bought temporary (6 weeks) insurance for my fiance through Seven Corners/ Liason Majestic (who acts as an agent), the insurance card and coverage was from United Healthcare.

Went with high coverage amount and high deductible since we do not plan to use it. She will be covered under my employers plan starting May 1st. 

https://www.americanvisitorinsurance.com/visa-insurance/fiancee.asp

http://www.lovevisalife.com/2017/02/temporary-health-insurance/

Some links I found when I was researching, went with Seven corners/United which is in the 1st link and when you get quotes called Liason Majestic.

that's so helpful, thank you :) I'm going to look into it now!!

Okay, this question comes up a lot, so I'll do my best to make it simple.

Travel insurance is by a rule strictly for traveling. It expects you to be traveling and not living in the country. So what happens if you want to immigrate and need coverage at least for flying over the pond? Well you'll likely need to call them and ask for 'one way insurance', which covers your stuff and your physical body until you land or expires within 48hrs of landing.

Obviously this will not help if you've now moved here and want medical coverage. And that's the point, you've moved here and are no longer a visitor. There are some companies as you've seen above that will offer short term medical insurance for new immigrants. The facts are the coverage you're going to receive isn't always great. If you have pre-existing conditions they won't be covered... and in many situations you might have 'peace of mind' but when you really need it, good luck finding it useful. In the age of O'care I just can't see much use for such plans. And in the eyes of the government, under the law, they don't view you having that kind of short term plan as actual coverage. The tax penalty still used to apply for those who decided to roll with it for longer.

You will be eligible to be added to your spouse's plan as soon as you marry (so get that SSN, marry, and transition onto the plan as soon as possible). You're also eligible to go and buy whatever kind of plan you want. You're also still eligible based on marriage and immigration to sign up for O'care. So sure, you could buy short term coverage for peace of mind (no guarantee it will work if you should need it), then jump onto your spouse's plan (prepare for the sticker shock). Some people also spend that gap period without, especially if they are healthy. It's more difficult for those that need constant care or medication, but stocking up before moving can help.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline
8 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

Travel insurance is by a rule strictly for traveling. It expects you to be traveling and not living in the country. So what happens if you want to immigrate and need coverage at least for flying over the pond? Well you'll likely need to call them and ask for 'one way insurance', which covers your stuff and your physical body until you land or expires within 48hrs of landing.

Obviously this will not help if you've now moved here and want medical coverage. And that's the point, you've moved here and are no longer a visitor. There are some companies as you've seen above that will offer short term medical insurance for new immigrants. The facts are the coverage you're going to receive isn't always great. If you have pre-existing conditions they won't be covered... and in many situations you might have 'peace of mind' but when you really need it, good luck finding it useful. In the age of O'care I just can't see much use for such plans. And in the eyes of the government, under the law, they don't view you having that kind of short term plan as actual coverage. The tax penalty still used to apply for those who decided to roll with it for longer.

You will be eligible to be added to your spouse's plan as soon as you marry (so get that SSN, marry, and transition onto the plan as soon as possible). You're also eligible to go and buy whatever kind of plan you want. You're also still eligible based on marriage and immigration to sign up for O'care. So sure, you could buy short term coverage for peace of mind (no guarantee it will work if you should need it), then jump onto your spouse's plan (prepare for the sticker shock). Some people also spend that gap period without, especially if they are healthy. It's more difficult for those that need constant care or medication, but stocking up before moving can help.

really great advice, thank you :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
9 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

The issue is K1 Visas are non-immigrant Visas with Immigrant Intent. Therefore, in theory they should come under Travellers Insurance. There is another plan but the issue is it is only for catastrophic insurance.

I believe we bought the Patroit Insurance

https://www.***removed***.com/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Yuna6287 explained it very well.

For my German travel insurance it was no "grey" area at all! It stated very explicitly: if you have no permanent German domicile, it does not cover you.
Being a law-compliant citizen, of course I had told my local registry I am leaving the country and had my address deleted from the file.

I bought short-term insurance in the US for the time before marriage. Expensive, but if you get an option with a high deductible that only kicks in if you have a major accident or such, it is bearable.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, D.Ba said:

Yuna6287 explained it very well.

For my German travel insurance it was no "grey" area at all! It stated very explicitly: if you have no permanent German domicile, it does not cover you.
Being a law-compliant citizen, of course I had told my local registry I am leaving the country and had my address deleted from the file.

I bought short-term insurance in the US for the time before marriage. Expensive, but if you get an option with a high deductible that only kicks in if you have a major accident or such, it is bearable.

Same in the UK.

i got the fiance visa medical insurance from ***removed***.

we read the fine print and it was good enough for our peace of mind. our purpose was really only for "catastrophic" incidents. thank god, i did not have to use it. it cost about $140 a month iirc and was very easy to cancel. i obviously completed as many check-ups as i could before leaving my origin country and i stocked up on meds etc as well.

Passport 17-Feb-22 Drop-off at USPS (expedited processing and shipping) ~ 22-Feb-22 Status: In Process ~ 08-Mar-22 Passport book shipped ~ 09-Mar-22 Status: Approved. Passport book in hand.

N-400     28-Jun-21 Filed online ~ 28-Jun-21 Received NOA + "Biometrics will be re-used" notice ~ 14-Dec-21 Interview scheduled ~ 25-Jan-22 Interview. Approved. Case status: Oath will be scheduled.  ~ 01-Feb-22 Oath scheduled. ~ 14-Feb-22 Oath ceremony.   

ROC        11-Jun-20 Application sent via FedEx ~ 16-Jun-20 Case received ~ 29-Jun-20 (Old) biometrics applied to case ~ 01-Jul-20 NOA ~ 23-Dec-21 Case transferred to new office ~ 25-Jan-22 Combo interview with N400. Case approved. 

AOS        13-Oct -17 Application sent via FedEx ~ 17-Oct-17 Case received ~ 24-Oct-17 Fingerprint fee received ~ 25-Oct-17 NOA1 ~ 17-Nov-17 Biometrics ~ 23-Nov-17 Status "We are scheduling
                 your 
interview" ~ 24-Jul-18 Status "We have scheduled your interview" ~ 28-Jul-18 Interview notice received in the mail  ~ 29-Aug-18 Interview 30-Aug-18 Status "Case was approved" 

04-Sep-18 Received approval / welcome letter in the mail ~04-Sep-18 Status: "Card was mailed to me" ~07-Sep-18 Green card received

EAD/AP  13-Oct Application sent via FedEx ~ 17-Oct Case received ~ 25-Oct NOA1 ~ 17-Nov Biometrics ~ 09-Jan Approved ~ 13-Jan Notice received ~ 18-Jan Combo card received

K1 Visa   28-Jun-17 Case ready (No packet 3 received) ~ 22-Jul Medical ~ 02-Aug Interview (APPROVED!) ~ 03-Aug Visa issued ~ 08-Aug VOH ~ 14-Sep POE (Abu Dhabi) ~ 01-Oct-17 Got married! 

I-129F     17-Feb-17 Petition sent via FedEx ~ 21-Feb-17 Case received ~ 24-Feb-17 NOA1 ~ 30-May-17 NOA2 12-Jun-17 NVC received / Case and Invoice numbers assigned ~ 20-Jun-17 NVC left

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.