Jal7700

Help for Filing TAX 2017 for NRA Spouce

19 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Jal7700 said:

Can anyone help me to figure this out about how to file 2017 Taxes  please ?. I am US Citizen and married with NRA Spouse my spouse still out side of country and never been in US before i married in December 2017 and I have to file 2017 taxes as Married filing separately. but since spouse does not have SSN or ITIN number how i can put name on taxes ?

I can help you out with this.. I actually filed a joint return  with my NRA wife last month. 

Your best bet is to hook up with an ITIN professional using the IRS's itin acceptance agent database. 

You specifically need one that will do an interview over Skype, FaceTime , whatsap ECT.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/acceptance-agent-program

I'm here if you have anymore questions. 

Edited by Keith & Arileidi

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline
20 hours ago, Jal7700 said:

one more quick question please..? if u file Separately while your Spouse outside of the country, can u still able to get tax break credit for spouse or you can't ..? i mean to ask can u claim as exemption without filling W7 or not..?

Complete form W7 and attach to your 2017 Married filing separate tax return.  The IRS does allow you to take your NRA spouse as an exemption on your tax return but you must include form W7 for the TIN along with supported documents (usually passport).  I also including my marriage certificate and I30 receipt notice.

IRS Publication 501 - page 11

You can claim an exemption for your spouse even if he or she is a nonresident alien. In that case, your spouse:
Must have no gross income for U.S. tax purposes, Must not be filing a return, and Must not be the dependent of another taxpayer.

W7 Instructions.pdf

If you can submit a W-7, MFJ is probably better than doing MFS tax-wise. Not always as it depends on lots of factors, but usually MFJ results in a lower tax liability (assuming all of their foreign earned income can be excluded, but presumably that won't be an issue).

If you can't get a W-7, doing MFS and entering NRA for the SSN is fine as well. You can also amend later once she has an SSN.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
6 hours ago, geowrian said:

If you can submit a W-7, MFJ is probably better than doing MFS tax-wise. Not always as it depends on lots of factors, but usually MFJ results in a lower tax liability (assuming all of their foreign earned income can be excluded, but presumably that won't be an issue).

If you can't get a W-7, doing MFS and entering NRA for the SSN is fine as well. You can also amend later once she has an SSN.

Thank you !!

6 hours ago, T&T2017 said:

Complete form W7 and attach to your 2017 Married filing separate tax return.  The IRS does allow you to take your NRA spouse as an exemption on your tax return but you must include form W7 for the TIN along with supported documents (usually passport).  I also including my marriage certificate and I30 receipt notice.

IRS Publication 501 - page 11

You can claim an exemption for your spouse even if he or she is a nonresident alien. In that case, your spouse:
Must have no gross income for U.S. tax purposes, Must not be filing a return, and Must not be the dependent of another taxpayer.

W7 Instructions.pdf

Thank you !!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.