8 posts in this topic

Hi all, I'm new here,  so thanks in advance for your advice and patience--this site is a great resource.

I'm a USC living in Sydney with my Australian husband. With the help of an immigration attorney (I know, I know) we filed for his I-130 last year and received his NOA1 on November 21, 2017. VJ projects NOA2 approval in late May; however, we reached out to my Senator's office for help and are currently waiting to hear whether we will be approved for expedited consideration due to financial hardship--Senator's office filed the request on our behalf, so fingers are crossed. We were engaged and wedding planning before starting the immigration process, so had planned for a wedding in Sept 2018..only to realize, whoops, we would be getting legally married much sooner than that in order to be eligible for an I-130! Senator's office advised that we might have a leg to stand on regarding financial hardship because of the cost of the wedding, which will be held in the US, and because we are hoping to settle permanently in the US afterward.

My question is, what can we be doing now to prepare for everything that will be needed following NOA2? My parents have agreed to sponsor my husband (so I know we'll need their last three years of tax returns), and because he lived in England for six months before we met, I'm assuming he will need an additional police check in addition to an Australian one (?). I know he will also need to do a medical exam, but we have held off investigating that because I wasn't sure how long it would be valid for. Is there anything else we should be thinking about now? Thanks.

I'm sorry but I honestly don't think that wedding costs will meet the requirements of proof of severe financial loss. It's more inconvenience to you than it is (severe) financial loss in the eyes of the USCIS but good luck in trying!

The medical will come a couple weeks before his interview and he will be instructed via the Embassy so I wouldn't look into that too much right now. I'd make sure you have all the necessary affidavit of support documents that are required and up to date. You could slowly start with filling out the AOS paperwork that comes with the NVC stage. There are a few threads here that contain a NVC Checklist post that you can look at. It'll tell all you need for the NVC

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

2 hours ago, Joanna2015 said:

We were engaged and wedding planning before starting the immigration process, so had planned for a wedding in Sept 2018..only to realize, whoops, we would be getting legally married much sooner than that in order to be eligible for an I-130!

Your lawyer didn't tell you that right visa for you given your circumstances? Correct me if I'm wrong but CR1 should be filed after you get legally married. And no, wedding cost cannot be justified as extreme hardship for expediting your case. Nobody ask you to have a costly wedding or else everyone would do the same and ask for expediting their case. And no, your congressman can only file the request but the final word comes from USCIS and from what you told me, you have no reason to get your case expedited. This is another example of how lawyer only adds more cost than helping

K1 VISA: Done in 346 days

Spoiler

Jan 5, 2018: Preparation Started                                                                                   October 31, 2018: Medical Check Up                                                           

Jan 19, 2018: I-129F Packet Sent                                                                                  Nov 2, 2018: Consulate Received                                                                              

Jan 22, 2018: Electronic NOA1 Received                                                                     Nov 6, 2018: Packet 4 Received

Feb 1, 2018: Hard Copy NOA1 Received                                                                       Dec 6, 2018: Interview (APPROVED!!!)

Oct 2, 2018: NOA2 (254 DAYS after NOA1) ***No RFE                                             Dec 11, 2018: Visa Received

Oct 16, 2018: NVC Received                                                                                           Dec 17, 2018: POE (11 Months and 12 days since Starting K1)

October 30, 2018: NVC Left

AOS | SF Local Office: Done in 357 days

Spoiler

Dec 17, 2018: POE                                                                                                                March 5, 2019: Biometrics at ASC in SF

Dec 27, 2018: Apply for SSN                                                                                               March 5, 2019: I-485 and I-765 Status Changed to Fingerprint Review Was Complete 

Jan 11, 2019: Wedding                                                                                                        May 15, 2019: I-485 Status Changed to Case Is Ready to be Scheduled for Interview (New Site Only)

Jan 14, 2019: AOS Preparation Started (1 Year 9 Days Since Starting K1)                May 23, 2019: EAD/AP Approved (97 days since NOA1)

Jan 15, 2019: SSN Card Received                                                                                     December 6, 2019: EAD/AP Renewal sent

Jan 29, 2019: Marriage Certificate Picked Up                                                                 December 9, 2019: EAD/AP Renewal NOA1

Feb 5, 2019: AOS Package Sent                                                                                         December 23, 2019: I-485 Case is Scheduled for Interview (Old Site Only)

Feb 11, 2019: NOA1                                                                                                             January 27, 2020: Interview in San Jose Field Office (Approved)

Feb 19, 2019: NOA1 Received by Mail                                                                              February 3, 2020 : Green Card in Hand

Feb 22, 2019: Biometrics Notification Received by Mail

ROC | California Service Center: Done in 410 days

Nov 2, 2021: ROC Package Sent

Nov 5, 2021: Package delivered

Nov 8, 2021: Text received (WAC)

Nov 9, 2021: Check cashed

Nov 12, 2021: Hard copy of NOA1 received

April 20, 2022: Biometric is waived

Dec 9, 2022: Card is being produced (No interview)

Dec 13, 2022: Case was approved

Dec 16, 2022: GC on hand

📊 I-751 November 2021 Filers Google Sheet 📅

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vonQCJgs9HODO2Y1DdSs3HNyL_FRnMfenlIeDQAUpWg/edit#gid=806913795

Hi all, thanks so much for the healthy dose of pragmatism. Fortunately, we've been married for almost six months, we're aware that this is a long shot, and we've done our homework. If anyone has any ~actual~ advice based on experience, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2 hours ago, Joanna2015 said:

Hi all, thanks so much for the healthy dose of pragmatism. Fortunately, we've been married for almost six months, we're aware that this is a long shot, and we've done our homework. If anyone has any ~actual~ advice based on experience, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

What more 'actual' advice are you looking for? I think @JFH has already said it pretty clearly. If you are looking for information on what happens after NOA2, it's in the NVC thread. 

Hi,

My suggestion to you is to download the instructions for form I-864 (Affidavit of Support) which you will need to fill out soon once you get your NOA2. There, you will find all necessary documents that you will need for the next step including the financial documents and evidence for proving domicile in the US. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.