30 posts in this topic

Hi Y'all,

we just received our interview appointment today! May 17th! But there is a big to do list for the upcoming interview...

It says the following on the notice:

... failure to bring the below listed items will result in the denial of your application.

YOU MUST BRING THE FOLLOWING ITEMS WITH YOU:

- A completed medical examination (Form I-693) and vaccination supplement in a sealed envelope (unless already submitted).

Well the question is, how do we make sure that they received our medical exam and the vaccination supplement?

I had my medical exam due the process of the K1 Visa at the end of October 2016. (The doctor never gave me any copies, so I don't have the DS3025)

I entried the United States on 03/312017.

We filed our I-485 application on 04/10/2017.

We never sent the I-693 or DS3025(again, I never had those documents) with our I-485 because we were thinking they have the medical exam through the POE. (I had to carry a sealed envelope and give that envelope to the Immigration Office at the POE)

So again, we do not want to fail or let our AOS be denied because of the medical exam... We never received a RFE because of our medical, which could be expired? Honestly - I don't know if it is expired. Some threads are saying that it is valid for one year once you file for AOS. Which means it would be valid to 04/10/2018. But our interview is on 05/17/2018 :( But some threats say that they are doing exeptions, depending on the officer during the interview. 

What should we do? I am really confused and couldn't find THE RIGHT ANSWER through a search on here...

Thank you!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I recently had my GC interview and was not approved as I had not submitted an I-693 medical. I pointed out that my K1 medical was still valid when I filed the I-485, and according to the instructions on the USCIS website regarding adjustment of status from K1 that's all it needed to be, but the IO wasn't having it and insisted I needed a valid medical at time of interview. I got an RFE 5 days later and have spent $250 on another medical which I have just re-submitted.

Basically it's luck of the draw depending on what IO interviews you. You can , as has been suggested in other threads, take a copy of the section in the i-485 instructions that states the rule for K visa applicants, but there is no guarantee that it will change anything and trying to appeal these decisions is pointless.

You can also have another medical done to ensure you will have everything you need in case you get a poorly trained IO, even if you choose not to and they ask for it you will likely get an RFE afterwards rather than a straight denial of application so it will just mean a delay of another month in approval. 

Good luck.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Do you not have a copy of the vaccination report? 

I emailed my doctor's office where I took the exam and asked them about a form I needed to submit and they happily gave me a copy of the vaccines. It's worth a try to contact them if you can. 

About the RFE for health exam...I'm going for my interview in May with a copy of my vaccines, and an email from my medical office saying those documents should suffice AND the section of the i-485 to fight this (haha sounds like a losing battle right?) worth a shot because medical exams are expensive and I think I shelled out enough money as it is... they practically own whatever soul I have left....  :D

7 minutes ago, sensitivemuse said:

Do you not have a copy of the vaccination report? 

I emailed my doctor's office where I took the exam and asked them about a form I needed to submit and they happily gave me a copy of the vaccines. It's worth a try to contact them if you can. 

About the RFE for health exam...I'm going for my interview in May with a copy of my vaccines, and an email from my medical office saying those documents should suffice AND the section of the i-485 to fight this (haha sounds like a losing battle right?) worth a shot because medical exams are expensive and I think I shelled out enough money as it is... they practically own whatever soul I have left....  :D

No I don't have any copies of my medical exam. Well it was never shown, that they give you copies of the report.

We are trying to call a Tier 2 Officer at USCIS Helpline. Hopefully they can answer our question, if we need to get my medical exam again/renewed. I mean it is crazy, that I had a X-Ray for my K1 Visa to entry the United States and they don't accept those xray pictures? 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hmmm..odd. Okay. I understand where you are coming from through as most of us submitted our exams at POE. 

It could be their way of saying they lost it :unsure: which would not surprise me and we end up paying for that type of oversight/mistake. 

Pls keep us posted on your situation. It would help everyone in the long run as to what to expect.

And best of luck to both of us! our interviews on the same month. Let's hope our officers are kind. Positive thoughts! 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

If you have filed AOS within 1 year from the medical in your country then you won't need another one. You did so no need
for another medical.
If you have a newbie or misinformed IO who does not understand the regulations then you can show him the regulations in print.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

2 minutes ago, Ebunoluwa said:

If you have filed AOS within 1 year from the medical in your country then you won't need another one. You did so no need
for another medical.
If you have a newbie or misinformed IO who does not understand the regulations then you can show him the regulations in print.

I wish that would be correct! But it is not true, the uscis changed the regulations on that. 

The new regulations say:

the medical exam is valid for one year, once you file i485. 

In in our case: we filed in April last year and our interview will be in May 😥

2 minutes ago, RLA said:

Could you provide a link to that regulation, please?

12 hours ago, Ebunoluwa said:

for another medical.

https://www.uscis.gov/news/alerts/uscis-issues-new-policy-form-i-693-report-medical-examination-and-vaccination-record

https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/Updates/20140530-I-693Validity.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hey guys ! Can you help me out with the following question: I ( beneficiary) have just arrived in US , ( K1 visa) , my medical was taken at POE ( sealed envelope) , I have only Vaccination sheet and CD with X-Ray results with me. I don’t have copy of the whole medical . To complete I-693 form do I need to pass medical one more time , or bring vaccination form to the doctor’s and that would be enough for him to complete the I-693 ? Thank you 

24 minutes ago, Mariia said:

Hey guys ! Can you help me out with the following question: I ( beneficiary) have just arrived in US , ( K1 visa) , my medical was taken at POE ( sealed envelope) , I have only Vaccination sheet and CD with X-Ray results with me. I don’t have copy of the whole medical . To complete I-693 form do I need to pass medical one more time , or bring vaccination form to the doctor’s and that would be enough for him to complete the I-693 ? Thank you 

Are you filling the AOS and/or EAD
For both, you don't have to get another medical exam and you don't have to fill out I693. They have the medical exam from the POE.

Timeline
1 minute ago, rocknfreak said:

For both, you don't have to get another medical exam and you don't have to fill out I693. They have the medical exam from the POE.

AOS 

but one of the required documents is I-693 ,am I right ?  which has to be completed by doctor depending on my vaccination form only? 

Timeline
27 minutes ago, rocknfreak said:

***UPDATED, PLEASE IGNORE THE ABOVE POST*** (cant edit it)

AOS
 and EAD

but one of the required documents is I-693 ,am I right ?  which has to be completed by civil surgeon based on my vaccination form only? 

Edited by Mariia
correction

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline
12 hours ago, rocknfreak said:

The link is from 2014. Here is pinned post in the AOS forum from 2015. K1's are an exception to the new medical requirements.
This is not addressed in the links you provided and it is easy to see how any IO can get confused.

My husband's AOS took 2.5 years to be approved, we were never asked for an updated medical (approval was 2017, so fairly recently
and after the "policy change". ) I still read from all the information and that the K1 is a horse of a different color and exempt.
We have many members here who also were not required to get another medical and some who, even after explaining this policy to their
adjudicating IO, still were asked to bring another medical.
It is up to the individual to either explain this to the IO or request the supervisor or get the medical anyway to satisfy the IO.
We chose to not get it and were absolutely fine after 2.5 years of our AOS ordeal without it.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

10 hours ago, Ebunoluwa said:

The link is from 2014. Here is pinned post in the AOS forum from 2015. K1's are an exception to the new medical requirements.
This is not addressed in the links you provided and it is easy to see how any IO can get confused.

My husband's AOS took 2.5 years to be approved, we were never asked for an updated medical (approval was 2017, so fairly recently
and after the "policy change". ) I still read from all the information and that the K1 is a horse of a different color and exempt.
We have many members here who also were not required to get another medical and some who, even after explaining this policy to their
adjudicating IO, still were asked to bring another medical.
It is up to the individual to either explain this to the IO or request the supervisor or get the medical anyway to satisfy the IO.
We chose to not get it and were absolutely fine after 2.5 years of our AOS ordeal without it.

We called the USCIS and talked to a Tier 2 Officer.

She told us that we just need the I-693 part with the vaccinations. 

So yes you are right, no medical exam. And yes.. sadly it is up to the individual IO. Because everyone tells you other things. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.