msscarlette

Report of Marriage & New Passport in Washington DC

42 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
6 minutes ago, doggieandsam said:

it wasnt the embassy officials that said so, it was two women talking, one of the women said that she wanted to report the birth of their kid and she was asked about to do ROM first. anyway, i stand corrected.

I think it is a situation of the Embassy wanting to maximize its collection of fees

YMMV

4 hours ago, msscarlette said:

The ROM is needed if the Filipino beneficiary has to update professional licenses, insurance claims, deeds, school records (transcripts might be needed for credential verification in the US), bank accounts, etc. in the Philippines. It's the beneficiary's choice if he/she wants to go through the whole process. 

Do you really think that people care about their licenses in the Philippines once they get married and live in the USA?

We owned land in the Philippines, and was able to transfer it after getting married and not doing the ROM with no issues. 

If you want to be a nurse in the USA you need to do the NCLEX anyway before any hospital will hire you. I am sure the NCLEX organization doesnt care if you have done the ROM or not as long as everything matches up.on their end.

40 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

Ah the typical .... opinion verses fact conversation.

Actually Hank it is a requirement for the ROM to be completed if you registering some birth with the embassy and the parents are married.

REQUIREMENTS:

1. Four (4) original duly-accomplished Report of Birth application forms, typed or printed legibly in black or blue ink, with the portion for witnesses duly-filled out when applying by mail. Forms should be notarized if submitting by mail.
  2. Covering letter (handwritten or typed), addressed to the Consular Section, indicating service/transaction requested and telephone number or email address for contact details
  3. One (1) original or certified true copy and four (4) photocopies of Birth Certificate (original will be returned)
  4. One (1) original and four (4) photocopies of PSA Marriage Certificate (if married in the Philippines) or approved Report of Marriage (ROM, if married abroad) of the parents (original will be returned)

1 minute ago, cyberfx1024 said:

Do you really think that people care about their licenses in the Philippines once they get married and live in the USA?

We owned land in the Philippines, and was able to transfer it after getting married and not doing the ROM with no issues. 

If you want to be a nurse in the USA you need to do the NCLEX anyway before any hospital will hire you. I am sure the NCLEX organization doesnt care if you have done the ROM or not as long as everything matches up.on their end.

I'm already a US RN. I wasn't talking about nursing licenses, Chris Duffy was the one who mentioned it. I was simply mentioning reasons for the report of marriage. It is a case to case basis, what you have experienced does not apply to others. As I said before it's the beneficiary's choice to file ROM or not. 

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
11 minutes ago, cyberfx1024 said:

Actually Hank it is a requirement for the ROM to be completed if you registering some birth with the embassy and the parents are married.

REQUIREMENTS:

1. Four (4) original duly-accomplished Report of Birth application forms, typed or printed legibly in black or blue ink, with the portion for witnesses duly-filled out when applying by mail. Forms should be notarized if submitting by mail.
  2. Covering letter (handwritten or typed), addressed to the Consular Section, indicating service/transaction requested and telephone number or email address for contact details
  3. One (1) original or certified true copy and four (4) photocopies of Birth Certificate (original will be returned)
  4. One (1) original and four (4) photocopies of PSA Marriage Certificate (if married in the Philippines) or approved Report of Marriage (ROM, if married abroad) of the parents (original will be returned)

I stand corrected in regards to ROB.  And I know their reasoning .. establishing legitimacy of the birth.     Philippines is big on that one...    

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

2 hours ago, doggieandsam said:

Hi! I did mine just last week and yes it is possible to finish them both in one day. In early april during the spring break, it was very busy so people who went during that time couldn't finish both in one day but things are back to normal now so you should be good. I arrived at 12noon and finished at about 3.30pm. Obviously, the earlier you arrive, the higher chances of getting all your business done in one day. It says processing of all non-passport business inc ROM starts from 12.30 only but don't let that deter you, I have seen people being processed way before that.

Some tips:

- The ROM form needs to be signed by both you and your husband on site. Otherwise, then you sign it before a notary and bring the notarized version to the embassy.

- The ROM application needs to be in 4 sets. Four originals of the ROM needs to be signed / notarized plus 4 copies of every supporting document. Check the embassy website for details.

- If the proof of US status that you are presenting is just the Notice of Action, then bring 4 copies of that, plus 4 copies of the K1 visa stamped on your passport.

- Bring 2 copies of each document required for the passport renewal.

- Did I mention bring extra copies of everything? There is a pay-to-use copier at the embassy but the lines can be long and it jams.

- Bring cash. They do not accept credit cards.

- No food is available or allowed inside. Eat before going.

- No free parking. Paid street parking is available but very limited. You can only pre-pay up to the max hours allowed (which is i think 1-2 hours, i'm not sure) so you may need to step out to top it up. Meter maids abound in the area so you will get fined quickly if your ticket lapses. Beware of parking illegally too as towing is strictly enforced. Farragut North and Farragut West metros are walking distance (about 10 mins).

- When you get to the area, the embassy is easy to spot but don't go there. Go to the consular building which is a smaller building directly across the street. Look for the flag outside it.

You do your ROM first, so upon arrival, proceed to window #3 and write your name on the clipboard there. They will call you once its your turn. They will check your documents and make sure you have everything required and then they'll tell you to wait for the cashier to call your name for the payment of $25. Then after that, you wait a while until they release your approved ROM. It took mine 2 hours. Once they release it, they will call you, give you your signed / annotated copy and then they pass you on to the passport officer and election officer who will then process your passport renewal and voter registration.

Passport renewal is quick and straightforward. The passport officer checks and receives all your documents, then you wait for the cashier to call your name for payment, then you wait for the biometrics person to call you for biometrics processing. The election officer on the other hand will just have you fill out a registration form and that's about it.

Thank you so much for this. :)

3 hours ago, Hank_ said:

Still not a requirement of establishing citizenship.

yes i agree. but then isn't one of the requirements of getting a phil passport (aka proof of citizenship) for kids born abroad a ROB? and ROM is required for ROB so...

i agree though that ROM should have no bearing at all in ROB and it is weird that it is even a requirement. i was surprised myself when those women were talking about it. it doesn't makes sense to me but we all know how it is with dealing philippine government, if you want your business done, then you better follow what they require.

Passport 17-Feb-22 Drop-off at USPS (expedited processing and shipping) ~ 22-Feb-22 Status: In Process ~ 08-Mar-22 Passport book shipped ~ 09-Mar-22 Status: Approved. Passport book in hand.

N-400     28-Jun-21 Filed online ~ 28-Jun-21 Received NOA + "Biometrics will be re-used" notice ~ 14-Dec-21 Interview scheduled ~ 25-Jan-22 Interview. Approved. Case status: Oath will be scheduled.  ~ 01-Feb-22 Oath scheduled. ~ 14-Feb-22 Oath ceremony.   

ROC        11-Jun-20 Application sent via FedEx ~ 16-Jun-20 Case received ~ 29-Jun-20 (Old) biometrics applied to case ~ 01-Jul-20 NOA ~ 23-Dec-21 Case transferred to new office ~ 25-Jan-22 Combo interview with N400. Case approved. 

AOS        13-Oct -17 Application sent via FedEx ~ 17-Oct-17 Case received ~ 24-Oct-17 Fingerprint fee received ~ 25-Oct-17 NOA1 ~ 17-Nov-17 Biometrics ~ 23-Nov-17 Status "We are scheduling
                 your 
interview" ~ 24-Jul-18 Status "We have scheduled your interview" ~ 28-Jul-18 Interview notice received in the mail  ~ 29-Aug-18 Interview 30-Aug-18 Status "Case was approved" 

04-Sep-18 Received approval / welcome letter in the mail ~04-Sep-18 Status: "Card was mailed to me" ~07-Sep-18 Green card received

EAD/AP  13-Oct Application sent via FedEx ~ 17-Oct Case received ~ 25-Oct NOA1 ~ 17-Nov Biometrics ~ 09-Jan Approved ~ 13-Jan Notice received ~ 18-Jan Combo card received

K1 Visa   28-Jun-17 Case ready (No packet 3 received) ~ 22-Jul Medical ~ 02-Aug Interview (APPROVED!) ~ 03-Aug Visa issued ~ 08-Aug VOH ~ 14-Sep POE (Abu Dhabi) ~ 01-Oct-17 Got married! 

I-129F     17-Feb-17 Petition sent via FedEx ~ 21-Feb-17 Case received ~ 24-Feb-17 NOA1 ~ 30-May-17 NOA2 12-Jun-17 NVC received / Case and Invoice numbers assigned ~ 20-Jun-17 NVC left

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
7 minutes ago, doggieandsam said:

yes i agree. but then isn't one of the requirements of getting a phil passport (aka proof of citizenship) for kids born abroad a ROB? and ROM is required for ROB so...

i agree though that ROM should have no bearing at all in ROB and it is weird that it is even a requirement. i was surprised myself when those women were talking about it. it doesn't makes sense to me but we all know how it is with dealing philippine government, if you want your business done, then you better follow what they require.

Yes.  Illegitimate  children seem to be a special pastime for the Philippine government...      many little quirks for sure.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

2 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

Yes.  Illegitimate  children seem to be a special pastime for the Philippine government...      many little quirks for sure.

Hahahaha so true, which I think is a link to the catholic nature of the country where it is "sinful" to be have kids out of wedlock. don't even get me started on why the church and state cannot function independently over there! but this is already out of topic. thanks for your input as usual, i learn a lot from you and VJ everyday.

Passport 17-Feb-22 Drop-off at USPS (expedited processing and shipping) ~ 22-Feb-22 Status: In Process ~ 08-Mar-22 Passport book shipped ~ 09-Mar-22 Status: Approved. Passport book in hand.

N-400     28-Jun-21 Filed online ~ 28-Jun-21 Received NOA + "Biometrics will be re-used" notice ~ 14-Dec-21 Interview scheduled ~ 25-Jan-22 Interview. Approved. Case status: Oath will be scheduled.  ~ 01-Feb-22 Oath scheduled. ~ 14-Feb-22 Oath ceremony.   

ROC        11-Jun-20 Application sent via FedEx ~ 16-Jun-20 Case received ~ 29-Jun-20 (Old) biometrics applied to case ~ 01-Jul-20 NOA ~ 23-Dec-21 Case transferred to new office ~ 25-Jan-22 Combo interview with N400. Case approved. 

AOS        13-Oct -17 Application sent via FedEx ~ 17-Oct-17 Case received ~ 24-Oct-17 Fingerprint fee received ~ 25-Oct-17 NOA1 ~ 17-Nov-17 Biometrics ~ 23-Nov-17 Status "We are scheduling
                 your 
interview" ~ 24-Jul-18 Status "We have scheduled your interview" ~ 28-Jul-18 Interview notice received in the mail  ~ 29-Aug-18 Interview 30-Aug-18 Status "Case was approved" 

04-Sep-18 Received approval / welcome letter in the mail ~04-Sep-18 Status: "Card was mailed to me" ~07-Sep-18 Green card received

EAD/AP  13-Oct Application sent via FedEx ~ 17-Oct Case received ~ 25-Oct NOA1 ~ 17-Nov Biometrics ~ 09-Jan Approved ~ 13-Jan Notice received ~ 18-Jan Combo card received

K1 Visa   28-Jun-17 Case ready (No packet 3 received) ~ 22-Jul Medical ~ 02-Aug Interview (APPROVED!) ~ 03-Aug Visa issued ~ 08-Aug VOH ~ 14-Sep POE (Abu Dhabi) ~ 01-Oct-17 Got married! 

I-129F     17-Feb-17 Petition sent via FedEx ~ 21-Feb-17 Case received ~ 24-Feb-17 NOA1 ~ 30-May-17 NOA2 12-Jun-17 NVC received / Case and Invoice numbers assigned ~ 20-Jun-17 NVC left

• 2 months later...
On 4/15/2018 at 7:16 AM, Chris Duffy said:

My wife is going to the New York next month to renew her passport.

We didn't do the ROM.

We plan on doing the passport in her maiden name.  What are the advantage of doing ROM?

Were you able to renew your wife's passport without the ROM? I am planning to renew my expired (yes, I absolutely forgot to renew it prior) passport but don't want to go through all the hassle of name change. 

20 minutes ago, Lillo528 said:

Were you able to renew your wife's passport without the ROM? I am planning to renew my expired (yes, I absolutely forgot to renew it prior) passport but don't want to go through all the hassle of name change. 

She had no issue, said it was a painless process

Took about 15 minutes, she went after lunchtime in New York

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

2 hours ago, Lillo528 said:

You can still renew it without the name change with a problem at all.

13 hours ago, Chris Duffy said:

She had no issue, said it was a painless process

Took about 15 minutes, she went after lunchtime in New York

Thanks for the info. I hope processing it in DC would be as painless as your experience in NY.

What ID did she bring? I only have a PSA birth certificate with my maiden name and the Marriage cert. My GC have my married name.

Edited by Lillo528
Additional question

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.