msscarlette

Report of Marriage & New Passport in Washington DC

42 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any experience going to the Philippine Embassy in Washington DC? I wanted to file a Report of Marriage and apply for a new passport using my married name. Would it be possible to do it in one day? Thanks in advance!

14 minutes ago, msscarlette said:

Does anyone have any experience going to the Philippine Embassy in Washington DC? I wanted to file a Report of Marriage and apply for a new passport using my married name. Would it be possible to do it in one day? Thanks in advance!

If you do it in person then yes it can be done at the same time on the same day. 

Filed: Timeline
8 hours ago, msscarlette said:

Yes, my wife did both at the same time in  DC

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, Chris Duffy said:

My wife is going to the New York next month to renew her passport.

We didn't do the ROM.

We plan on doing the passport in her maiden name.  What are the advantage of doing ROM?

Passport in married name ..  that is about all that comes to mind with me.  Then the passport and green card match.  ;)     

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

1 minute ago, Hank_ said:

Passport in married name ..  that is about all that comes to mind with me.  Then the passport and green card match.  ;)     

Good Point

I was thinking of getting BB privilege upon entering if I go with my wife, but I am pretty sure she can just show the marriage certificate and it should do the job.

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

My wife is going to the New York next month to renew her passport.

We didn't do the ROM.

We plan on doing the passport in her maiden name.  What are the advantage of doing ROM?

The ROM is needed if the Filipino beneficiary has to update professional licenses, insurance claims, deeds, school records (transcripts might be needed for credential verification in the US), bank accounts, etc. in the Philippines. It's the beneficiary's choice if he/she wants to go through the whole process. 

4 minutes ago, msscarlette said:

The ROM is needed if the Filipino beneficiary has to update professional licenses, insurance claims, deeds, school records (transcripts might be needed for credential verification in the US), bank accounts, etc. in the Philippines. It's the beneficiary's choice if he/she wants to go through the whole process. 

I can't see it needed for CE at least not for nursing license, never heard that one.  Usually just take NCLEX in maiden name and present passport, if you need to put US licenses in married name then send the board copy of marriage certificate.

My wife would just update her professional licenses in PI in her maiden name.  Bank accounts ROM wouldn't play any part

I just don't see any upside only downside.

I wonder if a US Citizen could be charged with adultery if he was registered and was caught with another girl?

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

I wonder if a US Citizen could be charged with adultery if he was registered and was caught with another girl?

Are you asking for yourself or a "friend"?  :)

YMMV

Timeline

Good Point

I was thinking of getting BB privilege upon entering if I go with my wife, but I am pretty sure she can just show the marriage certificate and it should do the job.

Yes that will work

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

14 hours ago, msscarlette said:

Hi! I did mine just last week and yes it is possible to finish them both in one day. In early april during the spring break, it was very busy so people who went during that time couldn't finish both in one day but things are back to normal now so you should be good. I arrived at 12noon and finished at about 3.30pm. Obviously, the earlier you arrive, the higher chances of getting all your business done in one day. It says processing of all non-passport business inc ROM starts from 12.30 only but don't let that deter you, I have seen people being processed way before that.

Some tips:

- The ROM form needs to be signed by both you and your husband on site. Otherwise, then you sign it before a notary and bring the notarized version to the embassy.

- The ROM application needs to be in 4 sets. Four originals of the ROM needs to be signed / notarized plus 4 copies of every supporting document. Check the embassy website for details.

- If the proof of US status that you are presenting is just the Notice of Action, then bring 4 copies of that, plus 4 copies of the K1 visa stamped on your passport.

- Bring 2 copies of each document required for the passport renewal.

- Did I mention bring extra copies of everything? There is a pay-to-use copier at the embassy but the lines can be long and it jams.

- Bring cash. They do not accept credit cards.

- No food is available or allowed inside. Eat before going.

- No free parking. Paid street parking is available but very limited. You can only pre-pay up to the max hours allowed (which is i think 1-2 hours, i'm not sure) so you may need to step out to top it up. Meter maids abound in the area so you will get fined quickly if your ticket lapses. Beware of parking illegally too as towing is strictly enforced. Farragut North and Farragut West metros are walking distance (about 10 mins).

- When you get to the area, the embassy is easy to spot but don't go there. Go to the consular building which is a smaller building directly across the street. Look for the flag outside it.

You do your ROM first, so upon arrival, proceed to window #3 and write your name on the clipboard there. They will call you once its your turn. They will check your documents and make sure you have everything required and then they'll tell you to wait for the cashier to call your name for the payment of $25. Then after that, you wait a while until they release your approved ROM. It took mine 2 hours. Once they release it, they will call you, give you your signed / annotated copy and then they pass you on to the passport officer and election officer who will then process your passport renewal and voter registration.

Passport renewal is quick and straightforward. The passport officer checks and receives all your documents, then you wait for the cashier to call your name for payment, then you wait for the biometrics person to call you for biometrics processing. The election officer on the other hand will just have you fill out a registration form and that's about it.

Passport 17-Feb-22 Drop-off at USPS (expedited processing and shipping) ~ 22-Feb-22 Status: In Process ~ 08-Mar-22 Passport book shipped ~ 09-Mar-22 Status: Approved. Passport book in hand.

N-400     28-Jun-21 Filed online ~ 28-Jun-21 Received NOA + "Biometrics will be re-used" notice ~ 14-Dec-21 Interview scheduled ~ 25-Jan-22 Interview. Approved. Case status: Oath will be scheduled.  ~ 01-Feb-22 Oath scheduled. ~ 14-Feb-22 Oath ceremony.   

ROC        11-Jun-20 Application sent via FedEx ~ 16-Jun-20 Case received ~ 29-Jun-20 (Old) biometrics applied to case ~ 01-Jul-20 NOA ~ 23-Dec-21 Case transferred to new office ~ 25-Jan-22 Combo interview with N400. Case approved. 

AOS        13-Oct -17 Application sent via FedEx ~ 17-Oct-17 Case received ~ 24-Oct-17 Fingerprint fee received ~ 25-Oct-17 NOA1 ~ 17-Nov-17 Biometrics ~ 23-Nov-17 Status "We are scheduling
                 your 
interview" ~ 24-Jul-18 Status "We have scheduled your interview" ~ 28-Jul-18 Interview notice received in the mail  ~ 29-Aug-18 Interview 30-Aug-18 Status "Case was approved" 

04-Sep-18 Received approval / welcome letter in the mail ~04-Sep-18 Status: "Card was mailed to me" ~07-Sep-18 Green card received

EAD/AP  13-Oct Application sent via FedEx ~ 17-Oct Case received ~ 25-Oct NOA1 ~ 17-Nov Biometrics ~ 09-Jan Approved ~ 13-Jan Notice received ~ 18-Jan Combo card received

K1 Visa   28-Jun-17 Case ready (No packet 3 received) ~ 22-Jul Medical ~ 02-Aug Interview (APPROVED!) ~ 03-Aug Visa issued ~ 08-Aug VOH ~ 14-Sep POE (Abu Dhabi) ~ 01-Oct-17 Got married! 

I-129F     17-Feb-17 Petition sent via FedEx ~ 21-Feb-17 Case received ~ 24-Feb-17 NOA1 ~ 30-May-17 NOA2 12-Jun-17 NVC received / Case and Invoice numbers assigned ~ 20-Jun-17 NVC left

one thing i want to add why a ROM is needed. if you want to get philippine citizenship for your kids down the line, you cannot report the birth unless you do ROM first. i know it's weird but i heard people talking about in the embassy when i was there.

Passport 17-Feb-22 Drop-off at USPS (expedited processing and shipping) ~ 22-Feb-22 Status: In Process ~ 08-Mar-22 Passport book shipped ~ 09-Mar-22 Status: Approved. Passport book in hand.

N-400     28-Jun-21 Filed online ~ 28-Jun-21 Received NOA + "Biometrics will be re-used" notice ~ 14-Dec-21 Interview scheduled ~ 25-Jan-22 Interview. Approved. Case status: Oath will be scheduled.  ~ 01-Feb-22 Oath scheduled. ~ 14-Feb-22 Oath ceremony.   

ROC        11-Jun-20 Application sent via FedEx ~ 16-Jun-20 Case received ~ 29-Jun-20 (Old) biometrics applied to case ~ 01-Jul-20 NOA ~ 23-Dec-21 Case transferred to new office ~ 25-Jan-22 Combo interview with N400. Case approved. 

AOS        13-Oct -17 Application sent via FedEx ~ 17-Oct-17 Case received ~ 24-Oct-17 Fingerprint fee received ~ 25-Oct-17 NOA1 ~ 17-Nov-17 Biometrics ~ 23-Nov-17 Status "We are scheduling
                 your 
interview" ~ 24-Jul-18 Status "We have scheduled your interview" ~ 28-Jul-18 Interview notice received in the mail  ~ 29-Aug-18 Interview 30-Aug-18 Status "Case was approved" 

04-Sep-18 Received approval / welcome letter in the mail ~04-Sep-18 Status: "Card was mailed to me" ~07-Sep-18 Green card received

EAD/AP  13-Oct Application sent via FedEx ~ 17-Oct Case received ~ 25-Oct NOA1 ~ 17-Nov Biometrics ~ 09-Jan Approved ~ 13-Jan Notice received ~ 18-Jan Combo card received

K1 Visa   28-Jun-17 Case ready (No packet 3 received) ~ 22-Jul Medical ~ 02-Aug Interview (APPROVED!) ~ 03-Aug Visa issued ~ 08-Aug VOH ~ 14-Sep POE (Abu Dhabi) ~ 01-Oct-17 Got married! 

I-129F     17-Feb-17 Petition sent via FedEx ~ 21-Feb-17 Case received ~ 24-Feb-17 NOA1 ~ 30-May-17 NOA2 12-Jun-17 NVC received / Case and Invoice numbers assigned ~ 20-Jun-17 NVC left

Timeline
44 minutes ago, doggieandsam said:

one thing i want to add why a ROM is needed. if you want to get philippine citizenship for your kids down the line, you cannot report the birth unless you do ROM first. i know it's weird but i heard people talking about in the embassy when i was there.

That is totally wrong!  :no:  

Requirement for a child to obtain Philippine citizenship is that ONE parent be a Philippine citizen.  PERIOD.       ROM is not listed as required anywhere****    If someone at the Philippine consulate/embassy is stating otherwise.. they should be turned into the Bureau of Immigration Philippines.

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/faqs/citizenship

Those whose fathers or mothers are citizens of the Philippines; Those born before January 17, 1973, of Filipino mothers, who elect Philippine citizenship upon reaching the age of majority; and. Those who are naturalized in accordance of law.

1. Who are classified as Philippine citizens?

Under the 1987 Philippine Constitution, Article IV, Section 1, it states that:

Section 1The following are citizens of the Philippines:

1. Those who are citizens of the Philippines at the time of the adoption of this Constitution;

2. Those whose fathers or mothers are citizens of the Philippines;

3. Those born before January 17, 1973, of Filipino mothers, who elect Philippine citizenship upon reaching the age of majority; and

4. Those who are naturalized in accordance of law

1. I am a foreign national with a Filipino parent; can I apply for a Filipino citizenship?****

Foreign nationals who were born outside of the Philippines to a Filipino parent (Note: the parent/s must be Philippine citizen/s at the time of the applicant’s birth) may apply for Recognition as a Filipino citizen, without losing the current citizenship of the applicant. For more information, please click here.

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/index.php/services/citizenship-retention-and-aquisition/recognition-as-filipino-citizen

Edited by Hank_

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

29 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

That is totally wrong!  :no:  

Requirement for a child to obtain Philippine citizenship is that ONE parent be a Philippine citizen.  PERIOD.       ROM is not listed as required anywhere****    If someone at the Philippine consulate/embassy is stating otherwise.. they should be turned into the Bureau of Immigration Philippines.

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/faqs/citizenship

Those whose fathers or mothers are citizens of the Philippines; Those born before January 17, 1973, of Filipino mothers, who elect Philippine citizenship upon reaching the age of majority; and. Those who are naturalized in accordance of law.

1. Who are classified as Philippine citizens?

Under the 1987 Philippine Constitution, Article IV, Section 1, it states that:

Section 1The following are citizens of the Philippines:

1. Those who are citizens of the Philippines at the time of the adoption of this Constitution;

2. Those whose fathers or mothers are citizens of the Philippines;

3. Those born before January 17, 1973, of Filipino mothers, who elect Philippine citizenship upon reaching the age of majority; and

4. Those who are naturalized in accordance of law

1. I am a foreign national with a Filipino parent; can I apply for a Filipino citizenship?****

Foreign nationals who were born outside of the Philippines to a Filipino parent (Note: the parent/s must be Philippine citizen/s at the time of the applicant’s birth) may apply for Recognition as a Filipino citizen, without losing the current citizenship of the applicant. For more information, please click here.

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/index.php/services/citizenship-retention-and-aquisition/recognition-as-filipino-citizen

it wasnt the embassy officials that said so, it was two women talking, one of the women said that she wanted to report the birth of their kid and she was asked about to do ROM first. anyway, i stand corrected.

your 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.