noront

Where can I find my visa number (I-visa)

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Small question but - is anyone else in the U.S. on an I-Visa for foreign media?

I'm trying to find the visa number, but the only thing I have in my passport is a stamp with the letter "I" and "D/S" for duration of status. I also have an I-94 still stapled in my passport that has some number in it (starts with "CAR" and then some digits), but I can't tel l if this is an actual visa number. I have an application that requests my non-immigrant visa number, but I'm not sure I actually have one. 

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

The stamps is when you enter US on I- visa. Do you have the initial visa on the passport from your interview? If so it will be on that visa, red in color somewhere bottom right side.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Timeline

Thanks. I was hoping there might be someone here who is also on an I-visa (for visiting representatives of foreign media.)

There is no visa in my passport. There is a stamp and an i-94 stapled in. The process for me was to show up at the border with paperwork from my employer stating I was being sent on a multi-year assignment to the U.S. The interview was a few minutes long. According to my employer, who requested a copy of my visa, the only evidence of the visa was the stamp in my passport (I was told this was to be expected). But I was wondering if there was an actual visa number that I could locate anywhere?

Filed: Timeline
7 hours ago, noront said:

Thanks. I was hoping there might be someone here who is also on an I-visa (for visiting representatives of foreign media.)

There is no visa in my passport. There is a stamp and an i-94 stapled in. The process for me was to show up at the border with paperwork from my employer stating I was being sent on a multi-year assignment to the U.S. The interview was a few minutes long. According to my employer, who requested a copy of my visa, the only evidence of the visa was the stamp in my passport (I was told this was to be expected). But I was wondering if there was an actual visa number that I could locate anywhere?

No visa = no visa number.  I assume you are Canadian and are not required to have a visa?  You don't say what the application is for, so don't know what you should put on the form -- maybe an N/A and include a copy of the stamp and the I-94 to document your valid status?

Timeline
On 2018-04-18 at 6:53 PM, jan22 said:

No visa = no visa number.  I assume you are Canadian and are not required to have a visa?  You don't say what the application is for, so don't know what you should put on the form -- maybe an N/A and include a copy of the stamp and the I-94 to document your valid status?

Yes I’m Canadian. I guess my I-visa is not really a proper “visa” then. I’m applying for adjustment of status via my husband (a US citizen). The application asked for a visa number. Since I’m already in the country legally on a work-related visa and was inspected and properly admitted at the border I figured I might have a visa number, but it doesn’t seem so. So N/A it is I guess!

I had an I visa before I got married and moved over permanently. I'm from the UK though so it may be different for Canadians. I had to go to the Embassy in London and be interviewed - I don't have that passport anymore but the visa was pasted into my passport. 

Filed: Timeline
3 hours ago, noront said:

Yes I’m Canadian. I guess my I-visa is not really a proper “visa” then. I’m applying for adjustment of status via my husband (a US citizen). The application asked for a visa number. Since I’m already in the country legally on a work-related visa and was inspected and properly admitted at the border I figured I might have a visa number, but it doesn’t seem so. So N/A it is I guess!

Right -- you do not have an "I" visa (and are not, therefore, on a work-related visa); rather, you were admitted into the US in "I" status.  Your I-94 will document that.  

Timeline
40 minutes ago, jan22 said:

Right -- you do not have an "I" visa (and are not, therefore, on a work-related visa); rather, you were admitted into the US in "I" status.  Your I-94 will document that.  

Interesting! I didn’t realize there was a difference.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.