LD182

Concurrent Enrollment F1 Student

8 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hey everyone,

I'm an F1 student, I got my associates in May 2017, doing OPT right now and planning on getting into an undergraduate program in Fall 2018 to get a Bachelors.

As you guys know tuition is really expensive and I've been thinking of ways to reduce college costs. Concurrent enrollment seems like a good idea; take some classes at the university and take whichever class is transferable at a community college for a lower price. Only thing is I'm not sure how that works.. Will I need to get 2 separate I-20s? Do I need to apply to both institutions?

Thanks.

Filed: Other Timeline

Many universities require that the last 60 hours of coursework be completed at the university and will not transfer them from CC.  It depends on the school's policies. Remember you need to attend FULL time (12 CH) at one university for an F-1 visa. If you are on another status such as H1 it doesn't matter.  Once you enroll for 12 CH, taking up to 18 generally costs no more in tuition.  There may be CH fees.  You may be worrying about very little money and complicating your life.

It is unlikely that courses at the CC classes will count for upper division university classes.

Of course you would need to apply to and be accepted by all institutions you plan to attend.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

you can enroll in CC college (ordinarlly 60 credit hours transfer out to a university but those classes must be credited classes that the university accepts )

not the other way around

but as a full time student in a college,  you can, at any time, take night time classes from another college 

I was even taking college classes while a Senior in High School thru a special program for gifted students

and when i studied at Cornell University i took my speech class plus 2 others from Itaca College as they offered those classes at a time frame that fit into my schedule

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

You can do concurrent enrollment. Usually you would first enroll in one college as a full time. Before the beginning of a semester that you want to take courses in other school, you would ask the international student office of your current school. If they allow, you have to thru a certain process about getting new I-20 about concurrent study, you can take certain credits in another school and the remaining credits for that semester in the current school. You may be asked to provide the transcript of the course taken outside the school to your current school so they can update your full time enrollment in SEVIS.

If you independently study in two colleges while taking partial credits in each one and the schools individually update your partial credits in your SEVIS record, your F1 status may be invalid even though the total credits would satisfy F1 requirement. 

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Mechanics of concurrent enrolment aside, how does uscis judge this type of thing re showing finances available for studying when applying for the visa?

Edited by Penguin_ie
tos

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

**** One post removed and another one edited.  Reply with constructive advice for the OP or do not post. *******

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Other Timeline

It generally will not save money taking classes at more than one university since most universities charge the same tuition for 12 to 18 credit hours.  Above 18 has a surcharge and below 12 has charges by the course or credit hours.

Logistics are also a problem.  An alternative is to take the CC courses in the summers before enrolling at the university.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.