DFWJimbo

Sister of K1 recipient

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm an American citizen, my wife and step-daughter have K1 (and daughter K2) visas pending an AOS, interview appt is pending, although taking a while since I'm sure USCIS is extremely busy.

My wife would like to consider bringing her sister here to study at an American university on a student visa, but I'm unsure if we follow the usual steps for a student visa on Nolo or USCIS's website (and which student visa it is, F1 or M1, or whatever) and what the requirements will be (financial and otherwise).  We will be having her sister stay with us in our home.  Also will the student visa last the entire 4 years of her study time or if she has to go back home to the Philippines at the end of each semester or school year?

It seems most of what I am searching on is based on a person coming over fresh on a student visa and not associated with US-citizen in-laws and/or a family pending on a K1 AOS.  Insight from someone knowledgeable will be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Jim

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

That is very generous of you, I assume the cost is well within your means.

Apart from you being the money man does not have much to do with you, she finds the Uni, gets the I 20 etc. She can stay for the 4 year duration.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

She will have to show proof of funds for tuition + cost of living. 

Even if she lives with you, the cost of living will not be zero.

You also have to find out whether the university/college you have in place allows first years students to live outside of campus. Several universities have rules in place that require freshmen to live on campus and then can only live outside after they complete the first year. Even if they live in the same city they have to live on campus. 

4 hours ago, Coco8 said:

You also have to find out whether the university/college you have in place allows first years students to live outside of campus. Several universities have rules in place that require freshmen to live on campus and then can only live outside after they complete the first year. Even if they live in the same city they have to live on campus. 

Some in fact require residence for the first 2 or even 3 years. And for those who allow freshmen to live off campus, commuter students often complain about not feeling like part of the student community.  Seems a shame to miss out on what should be an integral part of college life.

though from what OP has said it sounds like living with them will potentially be more important than other considerations about a college?

Edited by SusieQQQ

6 hours ago, DFWJimbo said:

IAlso will the student visa last the entire 4 years of her study time or if she has to go back home to the Philippines at the end of each semester or school year?

Yes, it allows to stay during the summer. But she won't be allowed to work, unless she finds something part-time on campus. Working outside of campus is not allowed; that includes babysitting. There are strict regulations about it.

6 hours ago, DFWJimbo said:

It seems most of what I am searching on is based on a person coming over fresh on a student visa and not associated with US-citizen in-laws and/or a family pending on a K1 AOS.  Insight from someone knowledgeable will be most appreciated.

She has to get into college before even applying for the F1. So she needs to take the SATs, etc., so she will have to wait until the next round of applications. 

26 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

from what OP has said it sounds like living with them will potentially be more important than other considerations about a college?

I think OP is just asking around because the fiance asked him to. He hasn't really thought this through.  It is a huge commitment of being recently married and have someone else living with you, and have to pay for college which is extremely expensive (and tuition for foreigners is much higher than tuition for US citizens).

Edited by Coco8

Plus of course, there is the concern about immigrant intent if she’s going to be living with her sister (or intending to do so) right from the start. People can and do get denied F1 visas.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks everyone for the information.  There are no plans to do an application now-since it doesn't look feasible.  We don't have resources to pay for her tuition and student loans will be out of the question since she has to go back home after school, so this won't be something we can do.  Just wanted to know about the process itself, but doesn't sound like it's going to work out.

Right now, we are focused on our life together here right now.  Went through a long process (still on going) and don't want to do anything to add to the complexity or mess it up since we plan to live out the rest of our lives here in the US together.

Edited by DFWJimbo

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

She would be looking at loans in PI.

What does she want to study and why in the US?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 4/11/2018 at 10:52 AM, DFWJimbo said:

To clarify - the process is the same and the fact that her sister is immigrating makes no difference, other than weakening her ties to home and making it less likely she will return to the PI after school is over. So nothing beneficial there.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.