hm139

Petitioner's Birth Certificate

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

In gathering documents in anticipation of our I130 approval, I discovered that my birth certificate (from the US) has two errors: my mother's place of birth is wrong as is my father's age. I submitted my passport as evidence of citizenship for I130 and was just going to have my husband bring my birth certificate (in addition to his, obviously) to the interview to be thorough. I've read conflicting evidence on this forum (see: here and here) but NVC seems pretty clear that my passport is sufficient. I just want to make sure. We're going through the Santiago de Chile embassy if that matters. Can anyone reassure me that it's okay not to provide the USC petitioner's birth certificate if a passport is provided?

1 minute ago, hm139 said:

In gathering documents in anticipation of our I130 approval, I discovered that my birth certificate (from the US) has two errors: my mother's place of birth is wrong as is my father's age. I submitted my passport as evidence of citizenship for I130 and was just going to have my husband bring my birth certificate (in addition to his, obviously) to the interview to be thorough. I've read conflicting evidence on this forum (see: here and here) but NVC seems pretty clear that my passport is sufficient. I just want to make sure. We're going through the Santiago de Chile embassy if that matters. Can anyone reassure me that it's okay not to provide the USC petitioner's birth certificate if a passport is provided?

The US citizen just needs a passport. 

The Passport tells them everything they need to know about your birthplace and current status.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Keith & Arileidi said:

The US citizen just needs a passport. 

Thank you! I just want to make sure! But I really don't want to go through the headache of amending my birth certificate, so this is good. Thanks!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
9 minutes ago, hm139 said:

Passport is enough to prove you are a citizen.

Do you mind sharing what you have gathered?

Wife and I are anticipating I130 approval too.

Thank you,

Honest-Love-Respect

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

The word "or" appears in the instructions several times.  Take it literally.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

13 hours ago, hm139 said:

Thank you! We are coming from Latin American bureaucracy so we are extra-skeptical of "official" instructions. I will go ahead with just my passport!

Yes my wife is coming from the Dominican so I know what you mean.. but from my experience  going through this whole process (including my son's CBRA)..everything should be taken litterally. 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
3 hours ago, Keith & Arileidi said:

Yes my wife is coming from the Dominican so I know what you mean.. but from my experience  going through this whole process (including my son's CBRA)..everything should be taken litterally. 

This is because regardless of where you are coming FROM, you are dealing with the US Government.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.