Kattsmelly

Can my fiancé come to visit while our i129f is pending?

13 posts in this topic

My fiancé is from Australia and we plan to file form I -129f. I graduate university in May and would like to have her here for that. We could file the petition now and have to wait less time or wait until she comes to the US to file the petition. If we file the petition now, will she be able to visit for my graduation using the Visa Waiver Program?

Edited by Kattsmelly

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Kattsmelly said:

My fiancé is from Australia and we plan to file form I -129f. I graduate university in May and would like to have her here for that. We could file the petition now and have to wait less time or wait until she comes to the US to file the petition. If we file the petition now, will she be able to visit for my graduation using the Visa Waiver Program?

yes.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/67796-yes-you-can-visit/?page=127

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Kattsmelly said:

if i where you....i would have her come to the US before you file the petition and then leave. If you file the I-129F before she gets here, then she may have to explain at POE why she is here, if she has immigrant intent and proof that she is going back to Australia after her visit.

some other Vjer have come to the US with the VWP and had no problems coming in, but there is always a chance they could secondary you and grill you on the matter

8/7/2017                    NOA-1

3/1/2018                    NOA-2

3/15/2018                  NVC case received

3/22/2018                  NVC case assigned

3/23/2018                  Consulate ready

4/11/2018                  Medical

4/17/2018                  Visa Approved

4/24/2018                  Visa on hand

5/23/2018                  Point of Entry ATL

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

5/31/2018                  AOS/AP/EAD

6/7/2018                    email notification of NOA-1

6/11/2018                  NOA-1 hard copies for AOS/EAD/AP

6/27/2018                  Biometrics for AOS/EAD

7/7/2018                    ready to be scheduled for interview

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

10/22/2018                Card was picked up by the USPS

10/24/2018                EAD in hand. F%^&& finally

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

Timeline

I travelled 3 times since the petition always telling that I am visiting my fiancé, it was the easiest entries in my lifetime taking average of 1 minute.

The only question was how long will I stay and once they asked if I work in Japan.

Have ties back to your home ready, and have a return ticket. 

5 minutes ago, Alabamak1 said:

if i where you....i would have her come to the US before you file the petition and then leave. If you file the I-129F before she gets here, then she may have to explain at POE why she is here, if she has immigrant intent and proof that she is going back to Australia after her visit.

some other Vjer have come to the US with the VWP and had no problems coming in, but there is always a chance they could secondary you and grill you on the matter

I understand that she might get questioned. I've been pulled out for a secondary inspection before  (even being a US citizen), but if she has a copy of the I-129f and a return ticket they could still think she intends to stay?

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Kattsmelly said:

I understand that she might get questioned. I've been pulled out for a secondary inspection before  (even being a US citizen), but if she has a copy of the I-129f and a return ticket they could still think she intends to stay?

Have a copy of noa1 and return ticket, and the best evidence is usually work. a document from work showing your fiancé will go back to Australia to work.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Kattsmelly said:

all they actually expect is for your fiancee to convince them she has no intent on staying, since she has immigrant intent. i would say that is a lottery. at the end the immigration officer has the last word on it

8/7/2017                    NOA-1

3/1/2018                    NOA-2

3/15/2018                  NVC case received

3/22/2018                  NVC case assigned

3/23/2018                  Consulate ready

4/11/2018                  Medical

4/17/2018                  Visa Approved

4/24/2018                  Visa on hand

5/23/2018                  Point of Entry ATL

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

5/31/2018                  AOS/AP/EAD

6/7/2018                    email notification of NOA-1

6/11/2018                  NOA-1 hard copies for AOS/EAD/AP

6/27/2018                  Biometrics for AOS/EAD

7/7/2018                    ready to be scheduled for interview

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

10/22/2018                Card was picked up by the USPS

10/24/2018                EAD in hand. F%^&& finally

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Since May is around the corner, I would wait until she is in US with you to send the papers so at least she won't have to go through weird questioning about her intent to stay at POE. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

I've visited four times, twice before we filed a petition, once during the NOA1 to NOA2 waiting period, once after-NOA2-approval to notice-from-Embassy period.

All times visiting with Visa Waiver and all times saying I was visiting my fiancé, with the exception of the first time saying I was visiting my boyfriend whom I met through an online game. Second time onwards, I was saying I was meeting my future husband, even though on the second time, we have not filed for a petition yet.

Did all the entries just fine. Just like Naes, probably 1 minute with the customs officer each time. The key thing about Visa Waiver is having a home address that is not in United States, and having a return ticket to your home country.

Sorry let me make my experience entering U.S. a little less confusing.

Entry date: 22nd Feb 2017

Reason: Meeting boyfriend whom I met on an online game.

Entry date: 28th June 2017

Reason: Visiting fiancé

NOA1: 28th July 2017

Entry date: 4th Oct 2017

Reason: Visiting fiancé

NOA2: 16th February 2018

Entry date: 7th March 2018

Reason: Visiting fiancé

Edited by AL-MJD

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Kattsmelly said:

What was your POE? And you never got pulled for a secondary inspection? I am worried that she will get turned back. Her ties back to Australia are a car, all her family and her apartment.  

She will be fine. And I went through Dallas, Dallas, Chicago and Atlanta.

I like Dallas and Atlanta. No difference in ease of entering, I just have international airports preferences. Chicago had inter-terminal train faults when I was there, caused me to miss my domestic flight. I was scarred for life.

Right, no secondary inspection whatsoever. I know the fear of being asked to turn around. My Baby also feared, but everything went well for me. And nothing can really guarantee she will be allowed entry. Nothing guarantees. We can only tell you our experiences and what we feel is important or key.

Edited by AL-MJD

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread is moved from the IMBRA subforum to the Working & Traveling forum -- topic is travel.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.