noraliz73

Received K1 Visa how do we rent an apartment?

43 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

My fiancé received the visa and I am making inquiries into moving.  Property managers are saying no because if and when he gets a SSN, it will be too new for them to do a background check on him.  I told them that he will not have had time to have done anything criminal to check for.  I also told them that the Department of State checks applicants police records and backgrounds very thoroughly before granting a visa.  Has anyone dealt with this issue?  They also wanted an explanation for why he won’t be working.  All of this when I make more than enough to qualify to rent the apartment!     

Rent the apartment as a single person.  When he moves in you can deal with the application fee then.

You don't have to put his name on the lease now . It's very common that no landlord will rent a place to someone they don't know and doesn't have SSN.

So rent it  in your name . Only in your name . Then when your fiancee moved to the US and gets his SSN then you add him to your  lease . That's what me and my husband did

Landlords don't know any police record or why he isn't working . Land lords deal with papers and poeple . They don't know him and all what he has from the US a k1 visa . Nobody is going to rent an appartment with a visa photocopy . So you will be here the primary tennant . Don't even mention him when you go to rent . Then when he gets to the USA  you add him . Nobody will tell you can't have your fiancee with you. Good luck. 

Edited by Maggie wallace
Forgot words

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I am currently in the same situation. My landlord said they will do a backgroundcheck even w/o a SSN and to me like the other posting said, sounds like discrimination that his SSN is newer and wont find anything. I have the option here to add my fiancee to my lease as someone who is just sharing the apartment or someone added to my lease as a paying tenant.

8/7/2017                    NOA-1

3/1/2018                    NOA-2

3/15/2018                  NVC case received

3/22/2018                  NVC case assigned

3/23/2018                  Consulate ready

4/11/2018                  Medical

4/17/2018                  Visa Approved

4/24/2018                  Visa on hand

5/23/2018                  Point of Entry ATL

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

5/31/2018                  AOS/AP/EAD

6/7/2018                    email notification of NOA-1

6/11/2018                  NOA-1 hard copies for AOS/EAD/AP

6/27/2018                  Biometrics for AOS/EAD

7/7/2018                    ready to be scheduled for interview

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

10/22/2018                Card was picked up by the USPS

10/24/2018                EAD in hand. F%^&& finally

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Maggie wallace said:

You don't have to put his name on the lease now . It's very common that no landlord will rent a place to someone they don't know and doesn't have SSN.

So rent it  in your name . Only in your name . Then when your fiancee moved to the US and gets his SSN then you add him to your  lease . That's what me and my husband did . 

There is no time.  He’s coming in two weeks.  There has to be somewhere.  I will ask him to have his police background checks from Egypt stamped by the correct officials and then translated by an internationally certified translator.  

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Alabamak1 said:

I am currently in the same situation. My landlord said they will do a backgroundcheck even w/o a SSN and to me like the other posting said, sounds like discrimination that his SSN is newer and wont find anything. I have the option here to add my fiancee to my lease as someone who is just sharing the apartment or someone added to my lease as a paying tenant.

I guess they would be someone just sharing the apartment in the beginning.  Or, a “homemaker.”  That is a very important job.  I forgot what home-cooked food tasted like!  I will enjoy that and miss it when the work permit comes. Well, I think he’s still going to cook if I clean.  😊

Filed: Timeline

I rented a place before my wife got here. I informed them she will be a new immigrant, and they allowed us to just put my SSN on her application when she got here.

Recently we rented a new place just based on my SSN as my wife forgot her SSN. It may depend on the complex. As others have said, rent a place now then add your fiancé when the arrive. Two weeks is plenty of time to get a place.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
2 hours ago, payxibka said:

It is not discrimination if they require a background/credit check for all parties to the lease and they are not able to get it

If she qualifies, then there should be no problem...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
8 hours ago, tanderson64 said:

If she qualifies, then there should be no problem...

It is no problem for her alone,  but she wants her fiancee on the lease and apparently it is a problem

YMMV

She can't add him to the lease because he is not here to sign. And even when he gets here he has no job so he still can't sign the lease. This is simply a criminal background check to live in the complex.  Photo copies of the documents he submitted and the passport stamps should be good enough. The complex needs to show that they did their due diligence to keep the place safe. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
14 hours ago, tanderson64 said:

You may want to consult a lawyer.  If you qualify, then the property managers cannot discriminate against you

No need for a lawyer.  I am a landlord myself for multiple properties.  USC here should be able to rent and add his/her fiance later to the lease or have him or her as a guest in the house for a month or longer.  Two people are allowed in one bed dwelling.  If USCs credit is shot then try putting two months deposit and perhaps deposit for the last month to get the landlord to let you have the unit.

Edited by NoProblem

07/27/17 - K1 packet sent at the end of day.

07/31/17 - NOA1

03/22/18 - NOA2

08/28/18 - expected date for medical completion - Sputum test was needed

09/22/18 - anticipated interview date

Don't list him.

I have an apartment. The plan is to add FH after he gets his SSN. They are aware of the situation, but they're a lot more lax and I've been a good renter.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.