Minsk_2_San_Diego

I-129F Didn't Include Both Divorces

3 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

December 2017 filer here. 

When I prepared our I-129F application, I neglected to include the fact that I was married twice - I listed only my most recent divorce and included that divorce decree with the application.  It was an oversight on my part - based on an assumption that, in the US, I could't have been married to my 2nd wife unless I was legally divorced from my 1st.  It seemed that the 2nd divorce made documenting the first irrelevant.

In retrospect, I obviously needed to have documented both.  I'm trying to get a sense of how serious a matter this is.  If it yields an RFE, I guess that's not a huge concern, because I have legitimate documents to show the validity of my first divorce.  My concern is that my not listing the first marriage/divorce would be seen as trying to hide it (for reasons I can't even imagine).

Should I wait to be asked about the first divorce?  Is there any proactive way to deal with the oversight?  Obviously, I'll send both divorce decrees to my fiancee to have with her at her interview - but I want to make sure that we handle this the best way so that the oversight isn't perceived as an act of deception or cause any significant delays.

Edited by Minsk_2_San_Diego

event.png

34 minutes ago, Minsk_2_San_Diego said:

It was an oversight on my part - based on an assumption that, in the US, I could't have been married to my 2nd wife unless I was legally divorced from my 1st.  It seemed that the 2nd divorce made documenting the first irrelevant.

A faulty assumption ;) There's plenty of cases on here of people that got married to a second, concurrent spouse (which makes the second marriage legally invalid).

I have not seen anybody have success sending the additional documents to CSC without receiving an RFE. If you want to try, you should attach a copy of the NOA1, cover letter, revised form, and the final divorce decree.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

if you do send make sure all pages of the degree are identified / california looses things

put your case number (even though you will send copy of that receipt and number is on there things get seperated),  both names , both DOB's on the upper right hand corner of each and every page

• Ryan H locked this topic

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.