~Alessa~

I-751 Sworn Affidavit, required now?

47 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hello! I just opened instructions to I-751 and on page 6 out of 10 it says, the documents SHOULD include, but are not limited to, the following examples:  1. Birth certificates of children born during the time of this marriage, if any; 2. Lease or mortgage contracts showing joint occupancy and/or ownership of your communal residence; 3. Financial records showing joint ownership of assets and joint responsibility for liabilities, such as joint savings and checking accounts with transaction history, complete joint Federal and State tax returns, insurance policies that show the other spouse as the beneficiary, joint utility bills, or joint installment or other loans. If applicable, submit copies of military Leave and Earnings Statements showing receipt of Basic Allowance for Quarters (BAQ) with family members and/or Form DD-1172 for military family member identification cards; 4. Other documents that you consider relevant to establish that your marriage was not entered for the purpose of evading U.S. immigration laws; and Form I-751 Instructions 12/05/17 N Page 6 of 10 5. Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by at least two people who have known both of you since your conditional residence was granted and have personal knowledge of your marriage and relationship. (Such persons may be required to testify before an immigration officer as to the information contained in the affidavit.) The original affidavit must be submitted and also contain the following information regarding the person making the affidavit: his or her full name and address; date and place of birth; relationship to you or your spouse, if any; and full information and complete details explaining how the person acquired his or her knowledge. Affidavits must be supported by other types of evidence listed above.

Is it required now? In the instructions it says "SHOULD include" from at least 2 people.....I don't have 2 solid people to write an affidavit. I can't even see asking people doing it, it's embarrassing.

Anyways. we going to have joint tax returns (will that be alright or they prefer transcripts?); our names on the lease; joint saving and checking; electric bill on husband's name, cable bill on mine (I didn't know we can do joint utility bill); mail on our address; pictures together; and probably just one affidavit from husband's mother.

Link to the I-751 instructions, https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-751instr.pdf. Expires 12/31/2019.

Edited by ~Alessa~

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

You should have as many Quality pieces of evidence as you can provide.  That may or may not include affidavits. Embarrassing?  Why? Personally, I will have no embarrassment asking someone I know.  It is an acceptable piece of evidence, although not as strong as others, imo.  Per the instructions, tax RETURNS are OK.  The items you listed seem to be good.  Also other items indicating you both live at the same address will help, too.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, missileman said:

You should have as many Quality pieces of evidence as you can provide.  That may or may not include affidavits. Embarrassing?  Why? Personally, I will have no embarrassment asking someone I know.  It is an acceptable piece of evidence, although not as strong as others, imo.  Per the instructions, tax RETURNS are OK.  The items you listed seem to be good.  Also other items indicating you both live at the same address will help, too.

Hello! thanks for reply)) 

Well, I can't ask any of my co-workers because they are just not friends of mine. And I didn't get any friends in US yet, my husband's friends all out of state and he lost soild contact with them and as a self-employed he doesn't have co-workers. And I am very protective about my private life, I just never talk about my private life with my co-workers. So the only person that really knows us and can sworn is his mother.

Oh, I can imagine asking someone "hey, can you write a letter of me and my husband's relationship,  and yeah government can testify you anytime for that" )))

Hey Alessa, 

i didnt put any affidavits in my application at all, I didn’t even put one pic!

thats because I included the birth certificate of 2 children ( one of which was born early 2017 ) 

the bills don’t need to have both names on but as long as they go to the same residence it’s good. I put the Con Edison bill which is in my name and the gas bill that’s in my husband’s name as they both go to the same adress. 

If u include your tax return filed jointly make sure u put the W2 with it otherwise they will ask for more evidence. 

Just include any tickets or receipts from trips together 

you should be fine :) 

We got an RFE with pictures, joint health insurance, joint bank account, tickets from trips together and with family, letters sent to us with our names and address on it. 

They received our RFE today with: Affidavits from 4 people, car insurance, copies of driver licenses with same address, tax returns from marriage to now.

US Passport Application

Routine service
Applied: 12/3/2020

Received: 12/18/2020

Approved & Shipped: 1/11/2021

Passport Delivered:   1/14/2021

Timeline
2 minutes ago, FrenchKat said:

Hey Alessa, 

i didnt put any affidavits in my application at all, I didn’t even put one pic!

thats because I included the birth certificate of 2 children ( one of which was born early 2017 ) 

the bills don’t need to have both names on but as long as they go to the same residence it’s good. I put the Con Edison bill which is in my name and the gas bill that’s in my husband’s name as they both go to the same adress. 

If u include your tax return filed jointly make sure u put the W2 with it otherwise they will ask for more evidence. 

Just include any tickets or receipts from trips together 

you should be fine :) 

Hello, thanks for reply. My husband gets 1099 form he doesn't have W-2, I  do have W-2 though.

Timeline
1 minute ago, AnGeLxX said:

We got an RFE with pictures, joint health insurance, joint bank account, tickets from trips together and with family, letters sent to us with our names and address on it. 

They received our RFE today with: Affidavits from 4 people, car insurance, copies of driver licenses with same address, tax returns from marriage to now.

I see, I'm sure you guys will be alright with all these new documents!

Oh by the way you can read the thread with I-751 evidences :) 

I seen a lot of people who didn’t include any affidavits but just put pics, and extra receipts for trips, cards they sent to their spouses for special occasions or anniversaries etc..... and lease with both names on, bank statements ( with detailed transactions) utilities bills and other papers 

good luck :)

Timeline
5 minutes ago, FrenchKat said:

Oh by the way you can read the thread with I-751 evidences :) 

I seen a lot of people who didn’t include any affidavits but just put pics, and extra receipts for trips, cards they sent to their spouses for special occasions or anniversaries etc..... and lease with both names on, bank statements ( with detailed transactions) utilities bills and other papers 

good luck :)

thank you!

yep, I will read, I just thought maybe USCIS updated their I-751 instructions and now affidavits are mandatory.

I don’t think affidavits are mandatory, I didn’t put any in mine. Even though we friends that could have done it. I just sent my application on February 12 th this year and got my letter of extension for a year 12 days letter :) 

Timeline
1 minute ago, FrenchKat said:

I don’t think affidavits are mandatory, I didn’t put any in mine. Even though we friends that could have done it. I just sent my application on February 12 th this year and got my letter of extension for a year 12 days letter :) 

I see, and this letter of extension you can submit to the employer I guess?))

Are you waiting on USCIS decision regarding removing of conditions? 

The letter just give you an additional year where you remain a green card holder :) 

iam going to France in May so I just bring my expired green card and the letter and everything  will be fine :) 

yes it good as well for employment:) 

i am waiting for my biometrics appointment which I hope will come before I go ! 

My husband is 1099 as well :) make sure you put the lease of ur place with your evidences :) 

Well when u get the letter of extension that’s mean you are approved but they can require more evidences if they don’t think it’s enough to prove a bona fide marriage 

most likely they don’t ask for an interview neither unless they think it’s a fraudulent marriage. Make sure u fill up ur application right because if it’s not file properly they will deny it right away 

24 minutes ago, FrenchKat said:

Hey Angel did you put a lease for ur place with both names on it.?

No we don't have any of that. We don't own the house. 

Edited by AnGeLxX

US Passport Application

Routine service
Applied: 12/3/2020

Received: 12/18/2020

Approved & Shipped: 1/11/2021

Passport Delivered:   1/14/2021

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.