durden2128

Need advice please- extremely unhappy wife & stepdaughter

104 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Dont know what to do. My stepdaughter and wife are extremely depressed and sit in bed crying and dont want to leave the house. I lost my job like 2 weeks before they flew here and I asked/begged her to wait a few months but she absolutely refused, threatened to dump me and forced me to bring them when I wasnt ready financially. I was owed $5,000 from my prior job and my company dissolved so I never received that money which I desperately needed. I have spent over $2k on un planned dental work just for my step daughter alone, and because of all these expenses we moved in with my parents who have a really large house. Yet they despise living here and despise me- even though it's temporary and I've already spent Thousands on immigration fees and both their Green cards.  One wants to return immediately to Russia and forget I exist and the stepdaughter HATES Russia and refuses to return and insists she will miss a year of school and refuses to return to school if I buy them flights back home. I dont know what to do. I take them to the beach frequently, I signed them both up for ESL classes with other foreigners, we do fun things together and as soon as they hear of someone visiting L.A or Miami they freak out and call me dirt poor and a liar because I cant drop everything and drive cross country for a week on a spending spree. They watch garbage tv like Kardashians and assume everyone here is rich and drives a Mercedes and only want to live in a big city and dont care about the high crime in public schools and the insane cost of private schools. Even though my stepdaughter is currently attending the #2 public school in the state and its so close to my parents she can walk there every morning. Help..any advice is greatly appreciated. I cant eat or sleep and I dont think its possible to make them happy or satisfy them. They wont be calm and wait on green cards and work permit or give me more time to save up for apartment close to a good school. I have anxiety issues and this honestly makes me want to take a bottle of Ambien

Timeline

Thats the conclusion I came to. But my stepkid cries the second I mention it because she would have to repeat the 9th grade all over very likely and refuses to return to school in Russia. Which makes my wife cry and beg me to keep her daughter with me in the U.S while she returns to Russia and begins a new life and looks for work  ! How insane and crazy is that. It's like a bad reality show......

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Whether or not to send them home or give them a reality check. One is needed. Like @bad4tatt said, sometimes people come here to the US expecting luxury and riches but don't realize that just isn't how it is. That's why need to give them a reality check. If they just sit and watch "reality" TV then yea they have some serious disillusions of what is what.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

If your wife wants better quality life tell her to find a job ASAP.  Step daughter is old enough to also work. I assume they came on cr1 and have their green cards already so there is no excuse for them to just sit on their asses and complain. 

You can try marriage counseling also. If nothing works then just divorce and find happiness somewhere else. 

If wife wants to go back then divorce and let her. If daughter wants to stay then stay, just make it clear you won't be supporting her. 

Edited by Roel

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Timeline

No green cards yet. We applied 2 months ago, so we are 2-3 months out most likely from work permit and Advance Parole, which they wanted so they could return to russia temporarily and sell one of their 2 apartments for extra money. My wife wants to work but has serious depression and insists she is too stupid to speak English and work. She refuses to work as House cleaner which she did for awhile but stopped. She has a Masters in Accounting and can easily find a small office job once she has work permit. She just has no patience whatsoever and no self esteem at all. Shes absolutely stunning gorgeous and I was so amazed she was single. Now I understand exactly why she is always single...

Send her to the therapist then. 

She can do a lot while waiting for get work permit. Volunteer, pick up a hobby, look for some job offers in the area in advance, etc. 

Break her bubble and tell her If she wants to make something out of herself and her life she needs to do some work also. Coming to the US doesn't mean she will have everything handled to her. 

People who came on k1 struggled while waiting for their work permits also. So she's not an exception. She must have knew in advance how this process look like. If she wanted to work and travel from the start you guys should have done cr1 visa instead. 

Edited by Roel

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

Timeline

Your right. And I greatly appreciate all of the responses. I understand this is a huge life change for them. They have a number of Russian speakers here who all tell them regularly to be patient- that learning English and learning to drive is a very long and tedious process. It simply doesnt help or process in their brain. They want Miami or New York so they dont need to drive or be reliant on a ride. They cant compute how expensive those cities are, or have any understanding of public schools in big cities. They dont understand that private schools are expensive, that u cant just walk in and start any day like a public school. They constantly compare everything to Russia. They refuse counseling, therapy or taking any medication to affect behaviors. I found the only 2 local ESL classes and they dislike both and complain it doesnt help. They want everything now but dont want to wait for me any longer. They see older Russians with big houses who have been here 20 years and constantly compare their lifestyles to ours, where both parents work, whereas I'm responsible for 3 people on 1 salary.

Before they moved to the US, did they ever talk about their expectations?

Like were they like this back in Russia also? Thinking that everything in the US is better, easier and effortless? 

How long did you know each other before applying for k1? 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

Timeline

About 2 years before. I was making really good money when I applied for K1- but as a property manager I lived on site and hated everything about the job, the staff and the horrible school system that was next door and full of drug dealers and prostitutes. This was also the school 10 minutes away from the Florida shooting. I quit despite the great money and free apartment- and they have been complaining ever since that we arent living near Miami no matter what I tell them.Whatever the mom says the daughter repeats- they double team me constantly with complaints- even though my family loves them and drive them when im at work and showed her how to cook American meals. None of it matters because we dont have our own place near the mall or somewhere with a bus line next to us.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Seems you know what they want so what is your plan.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
Spoiler

I dont have a plan. One wants to return to Russia and the other wants to stick it out here. My wife wants to return but says shes afraid to return because she has a hard time finding work in her town and her daughter refuses to attend school if shes forced to return to Russia. They dont have truancy officers like they do here evidently.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.