Velugu

Mother Green Card -- Birth Proof related question

9 posts in this topic

I am applying for my mother GC this summer and she was born in 1952. She doesn't have her birth certificate. Even the municipality is not issuing Non-Availability Birth Certificate. She didn't go to school. 
As per the travel site link https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/India.html, there is no need to provide birth certificate for the people who were born before 1970 (as per my interpretation). 

Do you guys have any experience (applying for older parents) where you didn't submit any proof of birth certificate and got GC?
Any info is really appreciated.

Thanks
Velugu

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Presumably she had documentation to get a passport?

C65 big issue seems to be Health Insurance at that age.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Good to hear, you have no idea how many people on here seem clueless to the not insubstantial financial commitment.

I have certainly seen people get through the process before in similar situation.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
18 minutes ago, Velugu said:

Thank you again for your reply.   I know lot of people won't think about cost of health insurance.

Coming to Birth related documents, even attorneys are giving different opinions. Not sure how to find the real path.

Lets try answering the right thread.

Now I do not remember this coming up recently but certainly has over the years and as far as I am aware there has been no change in what is required.

Edited by Boiler

Filed: IR-5 Timeline

I don't know what's so perplexing about your situation. Just get two affidavits from someone older than your mother and who can attest knowing her since birth and her birth details. I know several that have managed to get with this much approved. The link you provided clearly mentions that. I am also going to get the affidavits done since my parents birth were registered late in 1960's and 1980's (decades after birth).

A bonus would be any documentation issued by a government authority -  older the better - (since she has no formal education) that has her birth date mentioned.

Are you doing an adjustment of status or through NVC/Consular process? If NVC, you have ample time to get those things done while the I-130 is processing.

Edited by willcrack

Thanks for your time to comment on the topic. We  didn't have relatives who are older than my mom ( My mom parents were no more and my mom is older in the family). I

f you found one or two, the might do thumb impression or sign  in Indian native language. In that case the whole affidavit should be in English ( of course we add a sentence stating that the whole thing is read for him before signing the affidavit ). Do you have any suggestion for this kind of situation ?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.