Boiler

Should white people pay more for lunch?

48 posts in this topic

34 minutes ago, Boiler said:

So if he explained to the black person that he he is offering for them to pay an increased rent then that is OK.

Got it.

If he gave them a choice to pay higher rent or normal rent then sure. It would be fun to hear his reasoning for the higher rent.

The guy is educating his customers and then giving them a choice. He isn't refusing to serve anyone at the standard rate. 

From what I've read it seems like a not insignificant number of white people choose to pay more. I read the article a few weeks ago so I didn't relook at it now but from what I remember the different is price is then donated somewhere, so that probably partly influences people's decisions.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Well could do the same, additional rent would go to worthy causes.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
2 minutes ago, bcking said:

If he gave them a choice to pay higher rent or normal rent then sure. It would be fun to hear his reasoning for the higher rent.

The guy is educating his customers and then giving them a choice. He isn't refusing to serve anyone at the standard rate. 

From what I've read it seems like a not insignificant number of white people choose to pay more. I read the article a few weeks ago so I didn't relook at it now but from what I remember the different is price is then donated somewhere, so that probably partly influences people's decisions.

I wonder what the outcome would be for the landlord if his reason for the higher rent was because the prospective tenent shared the same skin color with others who disproportionately commit more crimes then people with white skin color? 

2 minutes ago, Merle said:

I wonder what the outcome would be for the landlord if his reason for the higher rent was because the prospective tenent shared the same skin color with others who disproportionately commit more crimes then people with white skin color? 

is that landlord's name donald trump? sounds familiar..

Timeline
4 minutes ago, smilesammich said:

is that landlord's name donald trump? sounds familiar..

But isn't t safe to assume a black person will commit crime just as it's safe to assume that a  white person makes/has more money then those of other skin colors?

Edited by Merle

16 minutes ago, Merle said:

The connection here is directly related to wealth. Yes obviously there are poor white people, but the chef's argument is that white people disproportionately hold more wealth, and therefore many should be able to pay more. It's all about money.

Your example would be connecting crime with rent/money. Just because people of color are more likely to commit crime wouldn't be they would be more likely to be able to afford higher rent.

The guy is trying to put anyone out. If a white person can't afford the higher price, they pay the lower one. Some have chosen to pay the higher.

Edited by bcking

Timeline
Just now, bcking said:

The connection here is directly related to wealth. Yes obviously there are poor white people, but the chef's argument is that white people disproportionately hold more wealth, and therefore should be able to pay more. It's all about money.

Your example would be connecting crime with rent/money. Just because people of color are more likely to commit crime wouldn't be they would be more likely to be able to afford higher rent.

The guy is trying to put anyone out. If a white person can't afford the higher price, they pay the lower one. Some have chosen to pay the higher.

Would you agree both examples are racist though?

12 minutes ago, Merle said:

But isn't t safe to assume a black person will commit crime just as it's safe to assume that a  white person makes/has more money then those of other skin colors?

ask donald, he knows all about being racist and all about being a criminal with money.

26 minutes ago, Merle said:

Would you agree both examples are racist though?

I don't think there is anything wrong with educationing people about facts, and offering them a choice of two payments, one of which reflects those facts. As has been said repeatedly, no one was ever forced. Obviously if a white person with a low income was explained that it would be completely reasonable for them to take the lower price. If a rich white person hears it perhaps they would reflect, realize that the higher price isn't that much money for them (though it is a lot for someone else) and opt to pay more. It's their choice.

My problem with your rent analogy is that the landlord would be using crime rates to justify an option to pay more rent. But crime and wealth aren't directly related. Just because black people disproportionately commit more crime they may be able to disproportionately pay more rent? There really isn't a good connection there other than just wanting to punish them because of their skin colour.

The chef isnt punishing white people for their wealth, he is bringing it up and looking to see if anyone behaves differently when they know about it. 

Now as an "experiment" I think it is rather pointless because I can think of several reasons why someone may pay the higher price and they aren't all altruistic.  Some may have just did it because of acute guilty, embarrassment and a desire to avoid conflict.

Edited by bcking

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Say you wanted a higher Security Deposit form one ethnicity due to known issues, would that be OK?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
18 minutes ago, smilesammich said:

ask donald, he knows all about being racist and all about being a criminal with money.

I see. You have no argument so you immediately turn the conversation towards Donald Trump who has nothing to do with this. Pretty par for the course.

5 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Say you wanted a higher Security Deposit form one ethnicity due to known issues, would that be OK?

"known issues" being the landlord is racist. a security deposit has nothing to do with the possibility of a tenant committing a crime, but a tenant trashing the property. 

Just now, Merle said:

I see. You have no argument so you immediately turn the conversation towards Donald Trump who has nothing to do with this. Pretty par for the course.

i bring up donald because he's gone to court over this exact thing and you (and others) are asking questions like you have no idea its illegal to discriminate based race. pretty par for the course.  

https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/fair_housing_equal_opp/FHLaws

Timeline

I wonder if any people of color were offended  by getting a lower price becasue it was assumed they couldn't aford more?

Edited by Merle