Irene_sss

2018 J1 WAIVER TIMELINE

764 posts in this topic

41 minutes ago, mohitindelhi said:

How long does it take after DOS sends favorable recommendation to uscis. I mean how long does USCIS take to deliver the I-797. Also, is there nay website to check the status on USCIS website?

You will get a NOA 1 from UCSIS with a number that allows you to check the status online.

The final waiver can take from 2 weeks to 2 months, or longer. It is very unpredictable. The median seems to be a month.

On 6/14/2018 at 5:59 PM, ericaBR said:

Oh, yeah, definitely this is not our case (at least now). Well, thanks a lot for your patience and clarifications! I hope to, soon, share with you guys a positive experience in this journey.   

Hi ericaBR,

I saw you were confused because the no objection letter was sent by e-mail to the DOS by the BR consulate.

Have you had to contact them again to send it by fax or similar? They issued my no objection letter 2 weeks ago, sent it by e-mail to the DOS, and it hasn't uploaded yet.

How long does yours take to upload after approval?

Thank you and good luck on your process.

Edited by vimi

1 minute ago, vimi said:

Hi ericaBR,

I saw you were confused because the non-objection letter was sent by e-mail to the DOS by the BR consulate.

Have you had to contact them again to send it by fax or similar? They issued my non-objection letter 2 weeks ago, sent it by e-mail to the DOS, and it hasn't uploaded yet.

How long does yours take to upload after approval?

Thank you and good luck on your process.

Hi Vimi,

I also has this doubt at that time.. 

Brazilian consulate sent it via email. The DOS received it, but it took a little bit more than a week to upload it in their system...

You may want to check this out with the Brazilian consulate. The woman that takes care of this is very nice and helpful... She will probably show you the reply she received from the DOS when she sent the non-objection letter. 

Good luck for you too 

On 3/27/2018 at 8:40 AM, Buhr said:

Finally got a favorable recommendation yesterday

Department of State Decision: Favorable Recommendation

Item Action Date
Recommendation Sent March, 26 2018
No Objection Statement Received February, 02 2018
Fee Received January, 30 2018
Form DS-3035 Received January, 30 2018
Form DS-2019 Received January, 30 2018
Passport Data Page Received January, 30 2018
Statement Of Reason Received January, 30 2018

I'm hoping it will be quick and painless with USCIS to compensate for the DoS delay.

@Buhr hey dis you already got your waiver from USCIS? They received my case last April 2nd and haven’t heard anything from them. Thanks!

29 minutes ago, Duckee said:

@Coco8 did you also get a J1 waiver before? Can you share your timeline? I am startig to lose hope that I will be able to get it and so i can file for EAD

You are waiting for the waiver from UCSIS? My timeline won't be informative because my work applied for an H1B w/premium processing before I got that so everything go resolved together. I got the waiver like 10 days after the NOA1, very fast.

9 minutes ago, Coco8 said:

You are waiting for the waiver from UCSIS? My timeline won't be informative because my work applied for an H1B w/premium processing before I got that so everything go resolved together. I got the waiver like 10 days after the NOA1, very fast.

Oh okay, so for H1B visa USCIS release the waiver right away? 

15 minutes ago, Duckee said:

Oh okay, so for H1B visa USCIS release the waiver right away? 

Well, they need it for the H1B and you are paying for the H1B to be decided in less than 10 to 15 days. They mailed the waiver the same day the H1B was filed so I'm not entirely sure it was because of the H1B, but it got decided fast either way.

Did you call UCSIS? Did you check online with the number from the NOA1?

12 minutes ago, Coco8 said:

Well, they need it for the H1B and you are paying for the H1B to be decided in less than 10 to 15 days. They mailed the waiver the same day the H1B was filed so I'm not entirely sure it was because of the H1B, but it got decided fast either way.

Did you call UCSIS? Did you check online with the number from the NOA1?

Yes I did call USCIS and check the status online everyday. I do not know if I will ask my employer to file H1B for me since I file for the waiver based on marriage to a USC

1 hour ago, Duckee said:

Yes I did call USCIS and check the status online everyday. I do not know if I will ask my employer to file H1B for me since I file for the waiver based on marriage to a USC

You cannot get an H1B because it will interfere with your spousal petition. 

I've seen some people who had to wait 2 months, 6 months, so there is not much you can do. I'm sorry your cases is one of the longer ones, it's annoying that they are so inconsistent with the timing.

10 hours ago, Coco8 said:

You cannot get an H1B because it will interfere with your spousal petition. 

I've seen some people who had to wait 2 months, 6 months, so there is not much you can do. I'm sorry your cases is one of the longer ones, it's annoying that they are so inconsistent with the timing.

Thanks @Coco8

15 hours ago, Coco8 said:

Hi,

My work also is ready to apply for H1B, just waiting for the J1 waiver. My waiver form DOS has been granted, and i am waiting for the document in my mail. Now that the waiver has been granted (june 22, 2018 : online) can i ask my office to proceed with H1B premium processing, or i have to wait until i receive the i-797 from USCIS. My guess is that the visa processing also has to be done from the same USCIS, this would save some time. I am expecting a position change too, (research Associate) which i cannot join until H1B is approved.

Also, does anyone know what is the mimimum salary on H1B research associate with 4 years of experience in the same department.

Department of State Advisory Opinion Finding: Favorable Recommendation

Item Action Date
Recommendation Sent June, 22 2018
Fee Received May, 10 2018
Form DS-3035 Received May, 10 2018
Form DS-2019 Received May, 10 2018
Passport Data Page Received May, 10 2018
Statement Of Reason Received May, 10 2018
No Objection Statement Received May, 03 2018

On 6/6/2018 at 7:07 PM, Coco8 said:

Everything is by mail.

Some people sign up for the USPS service (which is free) that allows you to see the letters you are going to receive. They scan the letters and you get to see them before they arrive. It is a good way of not missing the letter. 

It is a simple white envelope so be careful not to confuse it with junk. I think it said UCSIS but sometimes I get so much junk that it is easy to miss stuff.

Hi! I received the favorable recommendation from DoS on May 24 but I did not receive yet the NOA or the waiver by  UCSIS. Is it normal? Thank you

2 hours ago, mohitindelhi said:

Hi,

My work also is ready to apply for H1B, just waiting for the J1 waiver. My waiver form DOS has been granted, and i am waiting for the document in my mail. Now that the waiver has been granted (june 22, 2018 : online) can i ask my office to proceed with H1B premium processing, or i have to wait until i receive the i-797 from USCIS. My guess is that the visa processing also has to be done from the same USCIS, this would save some time. I am expecting a position change too, (research Associate) which i cannot join until H1B is approved.

Also, does anyone know what is the mimimum salary on H1B research associate with 4 years of experience in the same department.

Department of State Advisory Opinion Finding: Favorable Recommendation

Item Action Date
Recommendation Sent June, 22 2018
Fee Received May, 10 2018
Form DS-3035 Received May, 10 2018
Form DS-2019 Received May, 10 2018
Passport Data Page Received May, 10 2018
Statement Of Reason Received May, 10 2018
No Objection Statement Received May, 03 2018

Hi,

They can apply for the H1B if you are in the US and you are AOS from another visa (e.g. F1) to H1B. They cannot apply if you are abroad and doing consular processing. 

Will you work for a university or some organization that is not capped? 

The salary is based on the company/university and it cannot be lower than it should be. You should never accept a salary that is low because they are trying to take advantage of you!

Edited by Coco8

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.