Grantman1987

Starting k1 petition for OFW? Plus income decisions: Help

33 posts in this topic

Hello, I'm new to this and its a pretty complicated situation. I apologize if I'm all over the place. 

A) Timing

I recently visited my finance in philippines Feb 2018. After vacation, she returned to Saudi Arabia to finish her ofw contract. Her contract will be finished in March of next year (2019). Should I try starting the k-1 petition immediately, or wait? Im affraid if I petition now and she receives an interview date, she won't be home to attend it. 

B) Income

My annual income is around 34k working two dead end jobs. I believe its just above the poverty level requirements. I'm contemplating if I should go back into truck driving (cross country) for 1 year so that I can use the experience and get a good paying local driving job with waste management. It would be good especially for when my fiance comes. The problem is if I go over the road trucking now, it would negatively affect my income (for the first year) and I may not reach the income requirement to bring my fiance here. My other option is to continue working my two jobs, wait until my fiance is approved to come here, then pursue the trucking while she is here. Ultimately the plan is to have a good paying driving job for the city, with benifits, which will be great for my fiance and I. 

Any suggestions, advice, comments or opinions? Thanks

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

wherever she interviews she will need criminal inestigation reports from her home country and where she has lived for over a year in the last 5 years

you only need 100% of poverty guidelines for K1

125% after marriage for AOS

3 minutes ago, kris&me said:

wherever she interviews she will need criminal inestigation reports from her home country and where she has lived for over a year in the last 5 years

you only need 100% of poverty guidelines for K1

125% after marriage for AOS

Thanks alot, thats something I didn't think about. Maybe she will somehow have to obtain a criminal history from Saudi Arabia. Not sure how to go about doing that since its a very strict country regarding non marriage relationships. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Grantman1987 said:

Hello, I'm new to this and its a pretty complicated situation. I apologize if I'm all over the place. 

A) Timing

I recently visited my finance in philippines Feb 2018. After vacation, she returned to Saudi Arabia to finish her ofw contract. Her contract will be finished in March of next year (2019). Should I try starting the k-1 petition immediately, or wait? Im affraid if I petition now and she receives an interview date, she won't be home to attend it. 

B) Income

My annual income is around 34k working two dead end jobs. I believe its just above the poverty level requirements. I'm contemplating if I should go back into truck driving (cross country) for 1 year so that I can use the experience and get a good paying local driving job with waste management. It would be good especially for when my fiance comes. The problem is if I go over the road trucking now, it would negatively affect my income (for the first year) and I may not reach the income requirement to bring my fiance here. My other option is to continue working my two jobs, wait until my fiance is approved to come here, then pursue the trucking while she is here. Ultimately the plan is to have a good paying driving job for the city, with benifits, which will be great for my fiance and I. 

Any suggestions, advice, comments or opinions? Thanks

Are you looking to get her here with a K1 or a spousal visa? K1 is for peope who get married in the USA and spousal visa for people who are already married. 

Timewise...K1 is taking a long time right now. Around 10 months from beginning till she gets here and going on longer waits. Technically she can apply at the US embassy for her k1 in Saudi Arabia if she is legally residing there. A spousal visa takes longer, but you would have to get married before. I am currently going through a K1 for my fiancee. There is no guarantee on timelines and 34K qualifies for a K1 ans AOS later...(adjustment of status)

Suggestion:  https://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens/fiancee-visa/visas-fiancees-us-citizens for newbies

8/7/2017                    NOA-1

3/1/2018                    NOA-2

3/15/2018                  NVC case received

3/22/2018                  NVC case assigned

3/23/2018                  Consulate ready

4/11/2018                  Medical

4/17/2018                  Visa Approved

4/24/2018                  Visa on hand

5/23/2018                  Point of Entry ATL

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

5/31/2018                  AOS/AP/EAD

6/7/2018                    email notification of NOA-1

6/11/2018                  NOA-1 hard copies for AOS/EAD/AP

6/27/2018                  Biometrics for AOS/EAD

7/7/2018                    ready to be scheduled for interview

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

10/22/2018                Card was picked up by the USPS

10/24/2018                EAD in hand. F%^&& finally

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

well with the timings i wouldn't advise you to wait  till her contract is over. I would suggest you put in the petition at least 8 months to her contract expiry. that way soon as she is done she don't have to wait a lot of time for the petition to be adjudicated. And with the poverty guideline you are above. 

31 minutes ago, Alabamak1 said:

Are you looking to get her here with a K1 or a spousal visa? K1 is for peope who get married in the USA and spousal visa for people who are already married. 

Timewise...K1 is taking a long time right now. Around 10 months from beginning till she gets here and going on longer waits. Technically she can apply at the US embassy for her k1 in Saudi Arabia if she is legally residing there. A spousal visa takes longer, but you would have to get married before. I am currently going through a K1 for my fiancee. There is no guarantee on timelines and 34K qualifies for a K1 ans AOS later...(adjustment of status)

Suggestion:  https://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens/fiancee-visa/visas-fiancees-us-citizens for newbies

Thank you sir, yes I am looking to get her here with the K1 since it's faster than the spousal visa. Thanks for the info about applying in Saudi. It would depend on if her employer allows her to do it. As of now she doesn't tell her employers about our relationship, and has no plans of informing them when she plans to quit working for them. It's due to the strict government laws there and the attitudes of employers when they know their worker plans to quit.  

6 minutes ago, bravagreen said:

well with the timings i wouldn't advise you to wait  till her contract is over. I would suggest you put in the petition at least 8 months to her contract expiry. that way soon as she is done she don't have to wait a lot of time for the petition to be adjudicated. And with the poverty guideline you are above. 

Nice, thank you sir. Do you know what the minimum income would be to meet the guidlines in California? I believe its 32 or 33k. 

9 minutes ago, Grantman1987 said:

Nice, thank you sir. Do you know what the minimum income would be to meet the guidlines in California? I believe its 32 or 33k. 

Either it's CA or anywhere else the guidelines are the same. Which is 125% of federal poverty guidelines.  In order to get a pic from KSA she does not have to disclose a relationship at all. If I were you then I would in about 2 months. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
36 minutes ago, Grantman1987 said:

There's a different rate for Alaska and Hawaii, but everywhere else the rate is the same.

https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p

1 minute ago, Grantman1987 said:

Very good info thanks alot. 

PCC not pic sorry autocorrect got me. Where in CA do you live? I just moved to NC from Pasadena in December.

10 minutes ago, cyberfx1024 said:

PCC not pic sorry autocorrect got me. Where in CA do you live? I just moved to NC from Pasadena in December.

Thanks alot, what is PCC? Also I just spoke with her about what you suggested. She says even if she doesn't disclose the relationship, her employers would really be questioning her on why she wants to apply for a U.S visa, and wouldn't allow it.

Nice, Pasadena isn't too far from me. I live in Costa Mesa. 

39 minutes ago, Grantman1987 said:

Thanks alot, what is PCC? Also I just spoke with her about what you suggested. She says even if she doesn't disclose the relationship, her employers would really be questioning her on why she wants to apply for a U.S visa, and wouldn't allow it.

Nice, Pasadena isn't too far from me. I live in Costa Mesa. 

Ahhh ok. What does she do in the KSA? She must work for a strict boss or a Saudi. She wouldn't be applying for but you would be. But you can file for it and mark her place as the Philippines so that she can go back there once her contract is done to do the interview and medical then fly to the USA. My wife was a OFW for 5 years in Qatar so I understand what it's like. The PCC is a police clearance from that country basically like a background check paperwork showing that you did or did not do anything bad in that country while living there. 

She will be lucky because there are alot of Filipinos in SoCal. As you know where you live it's mostly Chinese or Vietnamese but she can still shop at their stores and get some Asian food or groceries. Where in the Philippines is she from and have y'all met in person?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.