Ashley & Derrick

K-1 Proof of Meeting versus Proof of Ongoing Relationship Advice

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hello Everyone,

After submitting the petition, I am a little confused about whether or not we included everything I need for "proof".  I am reading through posts and the reviews/experiences with Ghana embassy seem to be varied, but many have negative experiences regarding the K-1 Approval. 

My fiance and I met in person when we both worked in the Middle East.  The first part our relationship was in person and we continued our relationship long distance after I moved back to the States.  I visited Ghana (his home country) last year for the first time to meet his family and he proposed.  

In the petition, we included about 6 pictures of us together, visa stamps and a few of our engagement photos.  Now, I am reading that many suggest including chat logs/phone logs, pictures with friends/family, cards/love letters and other items to frontload the petition.  

Is this something we can correct when we submit the proof of ongoing relationship at the interview? I was under the assumption that only proof of meeting in the last 2 years was needed, but I guess I was wrong.  

Depends on the embassy/consulate. Ghana is notoriously difficult and frontloading is highly recommended.

The I-129F should be approved fine with what you provided. in theory, you would just bring the rest of the evidence to the interview and that's it. In practicality, some COs may review and form an opinion before the interview, so frontloading is recommended.

It's too late to frontload (unless you get an RFE), so just be sure to bring plenty of evidence to the interview. Best wishes!

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
13 hours ago, payxibka said:

There is only belief but no definitive proof that front loading is beneficial

Actually I would strongly disagree with this. There was actually a huge debate in another feed just last week about frontloading. It's not needed for every country like the Philippines. However, for Ghana and other high fraud countries it's highly recommended that you frontload you case. The reason is the COs tend to make up their mind before the beneficiary attends the interview and there is an extra level of burden of proof for couples from these places. Lots of 

14 hours ago, Ashley & Derrick said:

Hello Everyone,

After submitting the petition, I am a little confused about whether or not we included everything I need for "proof".  I am reading through posts and the reviews/experiences with Ghana embassy seem to be varied, but many have negative experiences regarding the K-1 Approval. 

My fiance and I met in person when we both worked in the Middle East.  The first part our relationship was in person and we continued our relationship long distance after I moved back to the States.  I visited Ghana (his home country) last year for the first time to meet his family and he proposed.  

In the petition, we included about 6 pictures of us together, visa stamps and a few of our engagement photos.  Now, I am reading that many suggest including chat logs/phone logs, pictures with friends/family, cards/love letters and other items to frontload the petition.  

Is this something we can correct when we submit the proof of ongoing relationship at the interview? I was under the assumption that only proof of meeting in the last 2 years was needed, but I guess I was wrong.  

Since you've already submitted your petition, you of course can't add more evidence to your case right now. I highly suggest you focus on getting plenty of quality evidence prepared for the interview. This should include: 

• Proof of an ongoing relationship such as chats, call logs, Skype...however you communicate. Try to find 3-4 good written conversations for every month you've known each other. These should include conversations about your future, each other's families, your day-to-day life, etc. Don't feel them with just "I love you" "Love you too" conversations. Those are fine, but shouldn't be the main focus. 
  • You should also get a couple of letters of support from family or friends who know about your relationship. Culturally Ghana is big on family and they want to know that the families approve of you relationship.
  • More pictures! You want to include pictures of you two in different locations, on different days and with different people. Include some from your time in the Middle East and during your trip to Ghana. (See next question) 
  • Not to make you worried, but did you do an engagement party? Did you include pictures of you in matching attire? Looking at your profile I worry that you may face the same issues we did with out K1 and many others have. There are many of us who have been denied because we held an engagement party in which the CO interpreted as a traditional married. Our K1 was denied in 2015 because on one picture my now husband took to the interview. (One I told him not to take.) The CO said he couldn't give us the visa because we were married...which we weren't. They didn't care...we were denied...and had to start all over with the CR1 visa. If you had an engagement party, do not include any of these pictures! I know some say it shows good support and Ghana culture, but it has cost many of us our visas. I pray you don't, but be prepared for questions about that. 

A couple of things you have working in your favor: 

• You met in person, unlike many who met online. This means you've spent quite a bit of time together in person which is great evidence. Try to emphasize this in your interview evidence. Time spent together is like gold to this embassy. 
  • It appears you've known each other for quite some time. Often people run into trouble because they get engaged after only a few months.

I wish you well. Please let me know if you have any questions. I've been through the Ghana embassy twice, so I know how challenging it can be. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 hours ago, O&GForever said:

Actually I would strongly disagree with this. There was actually a huge debate in another feed just last week about frontloading. It's not needed for every country like the Philippines. However, for Ghana and other high fraud countries it's highly recommended that you frontload you case. The reason is the COs tend to make up their mind before the beneficiary attends the interview and there is an extra level of burden of proof for couples from these places. Lots of 

I have been on this board for more than a decade so save your lecture.  My response had nothing to do with Philippines, so don't assume anything or add facts not in evidence.    Front loading is a working theory that has been around for a long time.  It is an unproven theory until a CO has tells a visa applicant..  "Thank you for loading the petition with all that relationship evidence because that was what made, what would have been an otherwise unnapprovable application, approvable..." 

YMMV

True. To be fair, the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic is only a theory, too...but we trust it to protect almost all of our most sensitive information on a daily basis. ;)

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
9 hours ago, O&GForever said:

Since you've already submitted your petition, you of course can't add more evidence to your case right now. I highly suggest you focus on getting plenty of quality evidence prepared for the interview. This should include: 

• Proof of an ongoing relationship such as chats, call logs, Skype...however you communicate. Try to find 3-4 good written conversations for every month you've known each other. These should include conversations about your future, each other's families, your day-to-day life, etc. Don't feel them with just "I love you" "Love you too" conversations. Those are fine, but shouldn't be the main focus. 
  • You should also get a couple of letters of support from family or friends who know about your relationship. Culturally Ghana is big on family and they want to know that the families approve of you relationship.
  • More pictures! You want to include pictures of you two in different locations, on different days and with different people. Include some from your time in the Middle East and during your trip to Ghana. (See next question) 
  • Not to make you worried, but did you do an engagement party? Did you include pictures of you in matching attire? Looking at your profile I worry that you may face the same issues we did with out K1 and many others have. There are many of us who have been denied because we held an engagement party in which the CO interpreted as a traditional married. Our K1 was denied in 2015 because on one picture my now husband took to the interview. (One I told him not to take.) The CO said he couldn't give us the visa because we were married...which we weren't. They didn't care...we were denied...and had to start all over with the CR1 visa. If you had an engagement party, do not include any of these pictures! I know some say it shows good support and Ghana culture, but it has cost many of us our visas. I pray you don't, but be prepared for questions about that. 

A couple of things you have working in your favor: 

• You met in person, unlike many who met online. This means you've spent quite a bit of time together in person which is great evidence. Try to emphasize this in your interview evidence. Time spent together is like gold to this embassy. 
  • It appears you've known each other for quite some time. Often people run into trouble because they get engaged after only a few months.

I wish you well. Please let me know if you have any questions. I've been through the Ghana embassy twice, so I know how challenging it can be. 

Unfortunately, yes, I sent the pictures of our engagement.  I wish I would have reached out before I filed, but hindsight is 20/20 :( We can only hope the CO has not made up their mind before he submits more evidence at the interview.  

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Just make sure you send a lot more evidence to the interview. When he is called for the submission of supporting documents he can give them all other evidence you have. Don't be too worried about other people being denied because of the engagement. Other factors are always taken in to consideration for denial or for approval. Good luck.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.