Amit&Julie

Mumbai Interview Language Experiences

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Hello all, I read some 2011-2012 reviews that sounded like the translators there were belligerent to the interviewees. I'm hoping that's not the case still. I have 2 requests/questions on recent immigrant interview experiences at the Mumbai consulate regarding language. I hope it's ok if I tag @SatinderSabiee @kannan @KN18 @Bombayy @netri7 @austinr1984  in particular in this topic because I know you guys have been through Mumbai recently, and I think the results would help many to come. Others who can provide input are quite welcome, also!

FIRST:

My fiance was told by someone we'll refer to as "Travel Agent Uncle" that if he has his interview in Hindi, that at NO TIME should he say anything in English. What do you guys think about this? Is this true? I'm skeptical of this approach, especially because if for some reason there is a Hindi/English translator involved who miscommunicates or misrepresents answers to the CO, I think the interviewee should be able to clarify in English, if needed, rather than stay quiet.

SECOND:

If you or your spouse/fiance have been through the Mumbai consulate recently, could you take just a minute to reply to my little survey below?

1. What is your first language?

2. Do you speak/understand English, and if so, how would you rate your comfort level with it on a scale of 1 to 5? (5 being very comfortable, 1 being very uncomfortable?

3. What language was the interview in?

4. Was a translator involved, or did the CO themself interview you in the language of the interview?

5. If a translator was involved, how did they treat you?

6. Feel free to share other advice or observations on the language aspect of the interview here.

BACKGROUND:

My fiance speaks English, but he is much more comfortable with Hindi. He is planning to take the K1 interview in Hindi at Mumbai. At his B2 interview last year, he took it in English and felt that maybe there was some miscommunication between him and the CO. For the K1, we both want him to feel as comfortable and confident as possible.

Thanks in advance for your feedback! Bahut shukriya!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
On 3/1/2018 at 11:39 AM, Amit&Julie said:

Hello all, I read some 2011-2012 reviews that sounded like the translators there were belligerent to the interviewees. I'm hoping that's not the case still. I have 2 requests/questions on recent immigrant interview experiences at the Mumbai consulate regarding language. I hope it's ok if I tag @SatinderSabiee @kannan @KN18 @Bombayy @netri7 @austinr1984  in particular in this topic because I know you guys have been through Mumbai recently, and I think the results would help many to come. Others who can provide input are quite welcome, also!

FIRST:

My fiance was told by someone we'll refer to as "Travel Agent Uncle" that if he has his interview in Hindi, that at NO TIME should he say anything in English. What do you guys think about this? Is this true? I'm skeptical of this approach, especially because if for some reason there is a Hindi/English translator involved who miscommunicates or misrepresents answers to the CO, I think the interviewee should be able to clarify in English, if needed, rather than stay quiet.

SECOND:

If you or your spouse/fiance have been through the Mumbai consulate recently, could you take just a minute to reply to my little survey below?

2. Do you speak/understand English, and if so, how would you rate your comfort level with it on a scale of 1 to 5? (5 being very comfortable, 1 being very uncomfortable?

4. Was a translator involved, or did the CO themself interview you in the language of the interview?

6. Feel free to share other advice or observations on the language aspect of the interview here.

BACKGROUND:

My fiance speaks English, but he is much more comfortable with Hindi. He is planning to take the K1 interview in Hindi at Mumbai. At his B2 interview last year, he took it in English and felt that maybe there was some miscommunication between him and the CO. For the K1, we both want him to feel as comfortable and confident as possible.

First of all, many congratulations for finally booking a date and being interview ready at Mumbai. It only gets easier from here. In India its a common trend for "travel agent uncles" to dole out free advice who are not aware of the situation that we all are in. It is no doubt that these travel agents deal with B1/B2 visas and are very comfortable but K1 is a whole different ballgame. That being said, I would think it makes logical sense to request a hindi interview but inform the CO that you speak a little bit of english. While doing some research for you I found that this question has been asked before in 2008. I really hope this helps you out. 

Second: 

1. Hindi

2. Yes, 5. 

3. English

4. CO the entire time. 

6. Like I mentioned earlier. I really don't think it should be that big of a deal. We're going to a country's embassy that is accepting of all races, cultures, and languages. 

PM with any particular questions that you might have. 

I-129F File Date - 5/26/17

NOA1 Date - 5/30/17

RFE Date - 11/7/17

RFE Receive Date - 11/21/17

NOA 2 - 11/28/17

NVC Receive - 1/12/18

NVC Left - 1/19/18

Consulate Receive - 1/22/18 

Packet 4 - 1/30/18

Interview - 2/2/18

Visa in hand - 2/14/18

US bound - 

Marriage - 

My husband and I don't speak Hindi, so I'll just answer the second part of your question:

1. What is your first language? English

2. Do you speak/understand English, and if so, how would you rate your comfort level with it on a scale of 1 to 5? (5 being very comfortable, 1 being very uncomfortable?) 5

3. What language was the interview in? English

4. Was a translator involved, or did the CO themself interview you in the language of the interview? CO, since she was American. 

5. If a translator was involved, how did they treat you? N/A

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

I haven't had my K1 interview yet, but here's my two cents. I've been to 3 other USA visa interviews in Chennai. I've seen consular officers talk to people in perfect Tamil. Since Hindi is a very widely spoken language in India and Mumbai, my guess is that the consular officer doing the interview will be able to speak Hindi.

I think its ok for your fiance to speak a little English if needed. If the consular officer asks him how come he speaks English but wanted the interview in Hindi, that is easily explained.

As with all visa interviews, I like to go prepared with all eventualities. If I was a consular officer, I would ask your fiance, how the two of you communicate, if his English is limited. If you speak Hindi, maybe you can write a letter attesting that you speak it. There is a very tiny chance that the consular officer will even look at it (and of course, its not direct proof as the letter can easily be forged) but it is something. It also shows preparation on your part and this is important to show the consular officer...that this K1 interview basically decides your life.

FYI, I'm just guessing here and have never been to the Mumbai embassy or a K1 interview. So, not sure if I'm helping.

Timeline
On 3/1/2018 at 7:39 AM, Amit&Julie said:

FIRST:

SECOND:

BACKGROUND:

Looks like the interview went well. Congratulations!

One question: Did your Packet3/4 come by regular mail or email?

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
On 3/17/2018 at 11:49 AM, SMcNally said:

Looks like the interview went well. Congratulations!

One question: Did your Packet3/4 come by regular mail or email?

Thanks! My fiance got a link to Packet 4 in an email.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.