MarksMate

South Africans visiting for my K1- wedding.

11 posts in this topic

Hi all.

So I just got my K1-Visa and have 3 friends travelling from South Africa for my wedding (South Africa is my place of birth and spent all of my childhood and teenage years there) I have been living in New Zealand for the past 11 years.  Our wedding is on May 20th and I am having 3 friends as bridesmaids in my wedding. So they will be applying for tourist visas and I was wondering what kind of documents they need to take with to their interview? They will be staying at mine and my fiancés house till the night before and night of the wedding where we will all be staying at a hotel near to the venue. After that they will spend 2 days in Vegas and then fly back home to SA. They will be in the US for 10 total days.

They have asked for mine and my fiancé's proof of employment. Obviously I am on a brand new K-1 and can't work. But why would the consulate need my fiancés proof of employment?

They have asked for receipts of bridesmaids dresses, shoes, rehearsal dinner receipt, hair & makeup receipt (They don't have copies of this as I have paid for these things for them) 

Proof of my and his legal status, the only way I can think this would be possible is to send a copy of mine and his passport and I don't want to do that.

has anyone done an interview in South Africa for a visitors visa and what kind of questions do they ask and what documents do you need to provide?

Thanks.

K1                                                                                                       AOS

20 March 2017: We got engaged!!                                             13 June 2018 - Sent AOS/EAD/AP

06 June 2017 - Sent I-129F                                                         15 June 2018 - USCIS signature received.

12 June 2017 - Case was received.                                           20 June 2018 - NOA1 for AOS/EAD/AP

14 June 2017 - NOA1                                                                   22 June 2018 - Cash checked

14 December 2017- NOA2                                                          23 June 2018 - Hardcopy i797 for AOS/EAD/AP

26 January 2018 - NVC Scan Date                                            17 July 2018 - Biometrics appt

29 January 2018 - NVC Number                                                24 July 2018 - Case ready to be scheduled for interview

07 February 2018  -Medical                                                        27 Sept 2018 - Call to request EAD expedite based on pending job offer/financial hardship

20 February 2018 -Interview: APPROVED!                               6 Oct 2018 - Letter in mail stating "Your case is currently under review"

21 February 2018- Visa Issued                                                  16 Nov 2018 - EAD Approved                                                                             

23 February 2018-Visa in hand                                                  24 Nov 2018 - EAD/AP received in mail

20 March 2018 -POE: Los Angeles                                            26 Nov 2018 - SSN mail received 

20 May 2018-Marriage                                                                06 Nov 2018 - Interview Scheduled

16 March 2019 - Interview 

I got a total of 4 tourist visas (and an immigrant visa, yay!) in SA, as well as visas for my kids and my husband did a couple too, and we managed to span consulates in Durban, Cape Town and Johannesburg... so yes I think I can answer ;)

this stuff about your bank statements and your legal status and stuff, is a total misconception. What they need to do is show that they have ties to return to SA after. While having a copy of your wedding invitation or something will help show the reason for the trip and why they are staying with you, what they really need to be granted visas is proof of reasons to return home to SA: letters from their companies stating they are taking leave from x date to y date and returning to work after that, copies of title deeds to their properties (or mortgage statements) or copies of lease if renting, etc. if they have husbands they’re leaving at home while they come to the US, even better. It appears that with more people overstaying that visas are getting harder for South Africans to get, so they have to be sure to show the right stuff, which is all about what will make them go back to SA after. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

Your life and your fiance’s Life will have no effect on their tourist visas at all. You can sponsor a tourist visa. A tourist visa needs to be “sponsored” by the person applying for it. They need to show proof that they are coming back to their home country and they will not overstay or try to immigrate on a non immigrant visa. They need to show their own proof of employment, financial assets, bank statements, family ties to SA. A wedding invitation might be ok to show so that they know the reason why they’re going to the States but honestly it will have no say in it. It all comes down to them being able to convince on paper, not verbally, that they are going back home. 

7 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

I got a total of 4 tourist visas (and an immigrant visa, yay!) in SA, as well as visas for my kids and my husband did a couple too, and we managed to span consulates in Durban, Cape Town and Johannesburg... so yes I think I can answer ;)

this stuff about your bank statements and your legal status and stuff, is a total misconception. What they need to do is show that they have ties to return to SA after. While having a copy of your wedding invitation or something will help show the reason for the trip and why they are staying with you, what they really need to be granted visas is proof of reasons to return home to SA: letters from their companies stating they are taking leave from x date to y date and returning to work after that, copies of title deeds to their properties (or mortgage statements) or copies of lease if renting, etc. if they have husbands they’re leaving at home while they come to the US, even better. It appears that with more people overstaying that visas are getting harder for South Africans to get, so they have to be sure to show the right stuff, which is all about what will make them go back to SA after. 

So, I can ask some questions...I wanted to ask what do you suggestion I do in this case...My husband is waiting on Police Clearance from SA and Nigerian Embassy..Can he fax or scan copies to me and then he brings in original for interviews? Can I email a scanned copy of my birth certificate for him to also bring? Do you think this is okay?

6 hours ago, waiting561 said:

So, I can ask some questions...I wanted to ask what do you suggestion I do in this case...My husband is waiting on Police Clearance from SA and Nigerian Embassy..Can he fax or scan copies to me and then he brings in original for interviews? Can I email a scanned copy of my birth certificate for him to also bring? Do you think this is okay?

I’m not sure what you mean. Not needed for a tourist interview. If it’s an immigrant visa, please don’t hijack this thread!

Congratulations on your wedding and best of luck with your bridesmaids' visas. My husband is like you: born in South Africa, lived in New Zealand half his life, and then married an American (me). Now he's in the middle of Removal of Conditions for his green card. I'm interested in following your story and the feedback you get as we are trying to help some of his cousins obtain tourist visas to come visit our home in Texas. 

I wrote a full detailed account of our AOS process, timeline, AP use, and interview on my blog. You can read it here.

Read our experience clearing immigration with an expired green card and extension letter here.

F-1 AOS Journey

Spoiler

10/05/15 - Mailed AOS Package (I-130, I-485, I-864, I-693, I-131, I-765, G-325As, G-1145)

10/07/15 - AOS Package delivered to Chicago Lockbox

10/14/15 - Received four NOA1s via e-mail & text notifications that USCIS received our case. Routed to National Benefits Center for processing

10/15/15 - Checks cashed

10/19/15 - Received four hard copies of NOA1s in the mail

10/23/15 - Received biometrics appointment in the mail. Scheduled for 11/03

10/26/15 - Failed early walk-in attempt for biometrics at Boston location

11/03/15 - Biometrics appointment in Boston

11/10/15 - AOS case status changed to "Ready to be scheduled for interview"

12/21/15 - EAD/AP approved

12/24/15 - EAD/AP mailed

12/30/15 - EAD/AP delivered

03/17/16 - Interview scheduled for April 20th

04/20/16 - AOS Inteview - Boston, MA - APPROVED!

04/25/16 - Approval notice received in the mail

04/26/16 - Green card mailed

04/29/16 - Green card delivered

ROC

Spoiler

02/20/18 - Mailed I-751 Package

02/23/18 - I-751 delivered to CSC

02/28/18 - Check cashed

03/02/18 - NOA1 received in the mail

05/12/18 - Notice that previous biometrics will be reused

08/24/18 - Received 18 month extension letter (courtesy copy)

10/22/18 - Received the "revised notice" with the correct 18 month extension letter--on green paper this time.

02/27/19 - Card mailed notification via Case Tracker mobile app

03/01/19 - Both approval letter and new green card delivered

N-400

Spoiler

03/02/19 - Filed N-400 online

03/02/19 - NOA1 via online portal

03/09/19 - Biometrics scheduled

03/12/19 - Biometrics appointment appeared in Documents tab in online USCIS account

03/13/19 - Successful early walk-in for biometrics 

11/13/19 - Interview

Seizetheglobe.com

1 minute ago, Sean and Kristina said:

Congratulations on your wedding and best of luck with your bridesmaids' visas. My husband is like you: born in South Africa, lived in New Zealand half his life, and then married an American (me). Now he's in the middle of Removal of Conditions for his green card. I'm interested in following your story and the feedback you get as we are trying to help some of his cousins obtain tourist visas to come visit our home in Texas. 

There’s not really much you can do to help. The cousins will need to convince the consulate where they interview that they will return back home after their visit, so it’s all about their ties to home- jobs, property, other family, etc. 

5 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

There’s not really much you can do to help. The cousins will need to convince the consulate where they interview that they will return back home after their visit, so it’s all about their ties to home- jobs, property, other family, etc. 

That's what I've tried to emphasize and I fear that might be a problem. These are his younger cousins (17 and 19-years-old) who still live with their parents, work part-time as waitresses, and aren't enrolled in any school. I've told them they need to do everything they can to prove they have intent to return to SA so the US government doesn't assume they'll try and live with us (and never leave). Perhaps they could have their boss write a letter about their leave/holiday dates even though it would obviously be unpaid? 

Edited by Sean and Kristina

I wrote a full detailed account of our AOS process, timeline, AP use, and interview on my blog. You can read it here.

Read our experience clearing immigration with an expired green card and extension letter here.

F-1 AOS Journey

Spoiler

10/05/15 - Mailed AOS Package (I-130, I-485, I-864, I-693, I-131, I-765, G-325As, G-1145)

10/07/15 - AOS Package delivered to Chicago Lockbox

10/14/15 - Received four NOA1s via e-mail & text notifications that USCIS received our case. Routed to National Benefits Center for processing

10/15/15 - Checks cashed

10/19/15 - Received four hard copies of NOA1s in the mail

10/23/15 - Received biometrics appointment in the mail. Scheduled for 11/03

10/26/15 - Failed early walk-in attempt for biometrics at Boston location

11/03/15 - Biometrics appointment in Boston

11/10/15 - AOS case status changed to "Ready to be scheduled for interview"

12/21/15 - EAD/AP approved

12/24/15 - EAD/AP mailed

12/30/15 - EAD/AP delivered

03/17/16 - Interview scheduled for April 20th

04/20/16 - AOS Inteview - Boston, MA - APPROVED!

04/25/16 - Approval notice received in the mail

04/26/16 - Green card mailed

04/29/16 - Green card delivered

ROC

Spoiler

02/20/18 - Mailed I-751 Package

02/23/18 - I-751 delivered to CSC

02/28/18 - Check cashed

03/02/18 - NOA1 received in the mail

05/12/18 - Notice that previous biometrics will be reused

08/24/18 - Received 18 month extension letter (courtesy copy)

10/22/18 - Received the "revised notice" with the correct 18 month extension letter--on green paper this time.

02/27/19 - Card mailed notification via Case Tracker mobile app

03/01/19 - Both approval letter and new green card delivered

N-400

Spoiler

03/02/19 - Filed N-400 online

03/02/19 - NOA1 via online portal

03/09/19 - Biometrics scheduled

03/12/19 - Biometrics appointment appeared in Documents tab in online USCIS account

03/13/19 - Successful early walk-in for biometrics 

11/13/19 - Interview

Seizetheglobe.com

Their boss writing a letter can’t hurt, but because it’s quite informal work it may not help either unfortunately. To be frank they don’t really fit the profile of people being granted visas (i didn’t either on my first try to be honest but I got one anyway, just valid for a year) so they may be lucky, but they should probably be prepared for disappointment too.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.