<3T&M<3

Proof that Facebook is not an IMB

31 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

I am supposed to get proof that Facebook is not an IMB, but I absolutely cannot find this information anywhere.

For those of you who met online, how did you supply this?

Thank you so much!

Tina

NOA1 New Site: March 6th, 2018

NOA2: Sept 12th, 2018

Case # available as well as case leaving NVC both on Oct 1st, 2018

Embassy received on Oct 2nd, 2018

Medical Appointment Oct 12th, 2018

Interview at Ankara Embassy on Oct 22nd, 2018 - APPROVED!

POE San Fransisco on Dec 1st, 2018

Married Dec 10th, 2018

NOA for I-485/765/131 Feb 1st, 2019

Interview for I-485 June 19th, 2019 - APPROVED! (Interview was before we received Work Auth Card!)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
15 minutes ago, TinaMah said:

I am supposed to get proof that Facebook is not an IMB, but I absolutely cannot find this information anywhere.

For those of you who met online, how did you supply this?

Thank you so much!

Tina

Most people locate the TOS of the website and attach it. 

YMMV

Timeline
3 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Most people locate the TOS of the website and attach it. 

I have printed out the main terms and conditions that Facebook lists. But nowhere in it doesn't mention IMB or marriage brokers of any kindBut I noticed there are at least half a dozen different sections of terms of different sorts. 

I just want to make sure I print all that I need to print and not 50 pages of garbage.

Edited by TinaMah

Married Dec 10th, 2018

Interview for I-485 June 19th, 2019 - APPROVED! (Interview was before we received Work Auth Card!)

Timeline
4 minutes ago, TinaMah said:

I have printed out the main terms and conditions that Facebook lists. But nowhere in it doesn't mention IMB or marriage brokers of any kindBut I noticed there are at least half a dozen different sections of terms of different sorts. 

I just want to make sure I print all that I need to print and not 50 pages of garbage.

There is nothing in there about being a IMB because they are not.....  Not even remotely...

Personally I think it is a waste of time submitting the FB TOS because it is not a IMB...  True dating sites would be a different scenario

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Timeline
2 minutes ago, payxibka said:

There is nothing in there about being a IMB because they are not.....  Not even remotely...

Yes. However, I was reading that even if it is not you have to prove that it is not. And I am wondering how I can prove it is not if it does not even say that it is not! Wow, say that 10 times fast!

Married Dec 10th, 2018

Timeline
12 minutes ago, TinaMah said:

Yes. However, I was reading that even if it is not you have to prove that it is not. And I am wondering how I can prove it is not if it does not even say that it is not! Wow, say that 10 times fast!

Then 

12 minutes ago, TinaMah said:

Then get the definition of what is an IMB and then demonstrate how FB is not. 

Definition of an International Marriage Broker. “International marriage broker” is defined as an entity (whether or not U.S.-based) that charges fees for providing matchmaking services or social referrals between U.S. citizens/permanent residents and foreign nationals. The definition also exempts non-profit religious or cultural matchmaking services, and dating services that do not match U.S. citizens/residents with aliens as their principal business and that charge comparable rates and offer comparable services to all clients, regardless of gender or country of citizenship.

The definition of IMB, under Section 833(e)(4)(A), is any corporation, individual, or legal entity, whether or not existing under the laws of the U.S., who charges fees for providing dating, matrimonial, matchmaking or social referrals or is "otherwise faciliating communication between individuals."

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Timeline
13 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Then 

Then get the definition of what is an IMB and then demonstrate how FB is not. 

Definition of an International Marriage Broker. “International marriage broker” is defined as an entity (whether or not U.S.-based) that charges fees for providing matchmaking services or social referrals between U.S. citizens/permanent residents and foreign nationals. The definition also exempts non-profit religious or cultural matchmaking services, and dating services that do not match U.S. citizens/residents with aliens as their principal business and that charge comparable rates and offer comparable services to all clients, regardless of gender or country of citizenship.

The definition of IMB, under Section 833(e)(4)(A), is any corporation, individual, or legal entity, whether or not existing under the laws of the U.S., who charges fees for providing dating, matrimonial, matchmaking or social referrals or is "otherwise faciliating communication between individuals."

Thank your :)

Married Dec 10th, 2018

Timeline
1 hour ago, kris&me said:

Simple they do not charge a fee

Yes, but I am having a difficult time finding anything legitimate that states that : Facebook does not charge a fee!   lol

Married Dec 10th, 2018

Timeline
5 minutes ago, TinaMah said:

Yes, but I am having a difficult time finding anything legitimate that states that : Facebook does not charge a fee!   lol

Fundamental Service

People should be able to use Facebook for free to establish a presence, connect with others, and share information with them. Every Person should be able to use the Facebook Service regardless of his or her level of participation or contribution.

YMMV

Timeline
Just now, payxibka said:

Fundamental Service

People should be able to use Facebook for free to establish a presence, connect with others, and share information with them. Every Person should be able to use the Facebook Service regardless of his or her level of participation or contribution.

AHHHHHH!!!! Where the hell did you find THIS!!! Do you have the link!

Thank you thank you thank you!

Married Dec 10th, 2018

Timeline
Just now, TinaMah said:

AHHHHHH!!!! Where the hell did you find THIS!!! Do you have the link!

Thank you thank you thank you!

https://www.facebook.com/principles.php

YMMV

Timeline
1 minute ago, payxibka said:

You are amazing, thank you!

I would have looked for 6 hours :)

Married Dec 10th, 2018

Timeline

For anyone who needs it to find the legal definition of an IMB: https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/search/pagedetails.action?packageId=USCODE-2014-title8&granuleId=USCODE-2014-title8-chap12-subchapII-partIX-sec1375a&collectionCode=USCODE&browsePath=Title+8%2FChapter+12%2FSubchapter+II%2FPart+IX%2FSec.+1375a&collapse=true&fromBrowse=true

Scroll down to:

Part IX - Miscellaneous (sections 1351 - 1381)

then to:
Sec. 1375a - Domestic violence information and resources for immigrants and regulation of international...

Click on PDF and you can find the definition on page 5. I am printing it to show how facebook is NOT this.

Edited by TinaMah

Married Dec 10th, 2018

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Good day to all..had the same question. 

Was bored and saw okcupid it was free to use and I met my wife on it..we just started to talk as friends  den afterwards our feelings developed naturally ..shes visited me twice in Jamaica already in my home country. . ..didn't pay any fee whatsoever ...and didn't see anything about IMB..where stil waiting for our case to be approved. We have a very genuine marriage .thanks in advance for the positive feedback:)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.