azeemguy

Confused - Which Checklist to use for Visa Interview in Montreal

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hello All, 

My wife is sponsoring me in the USA under IR-1 category and I have my visa interview coming up next week at US Consulate in Montreal so I am putting together the documents required during the interview. 

I am kind of confused on which list to go with. There are 2 documents/list available for US Consulate in Montreal. 

1. Document available at the link below and labeled as "Packet 4":

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Supplemental/MTL - Montreal.pdf

2. Document available at the link below:

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/iv-dv-supplemental/MTL - Montreal.pdf

Can someone please let me know which list should I go by?

Basically I want to know if it's ok to bring photocopies of IRS Tax Transcripts or do they need originals. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

They should send a personalized document list to whatever email address you have been using throughout the immigration process. Typically, you will receive the list 1-2 weeks prior to your interview. You may want to check your Spam folder if you haven't received it yet.

Timeline
9 hours ago, jle2234 said:

They should send a personalized document list to whatever email address you have been using throughout the immigration process. Typically, you will receive the list 1-2 weeks prior to your interview. You may want to check your Spam folder if you haven't received it yet.

I never received an email unfortunately for either myself or my son :(

OP don't forget to bring the original i864 that is signed. They took a copy of our 2016 tax return and tax transcript received from the IRS. If the USC worked in the US they will require a W2. Originals of marriage certificate, birth certificate, police certificate. 2 US sized passport photos. Medical report. If you or your spouse divorced they want to see the decree (we aren't but asked if we were). They really want to know about arrests, charges, criminal activity (didn't apply to us but still asked). They verify your Canada and US intended address.

Everything I submitted at the NVC stage was right in front of them including domicile stuff. It was all straight forward. I brought as much stuff as possible in case they needed to verify anything. 

Just remember to not bring a briefcase, computer case, backpacks or purse. I checked in my cell phone. I used a plastic shopping bag to bring my items. 

It was also VERY cold! They turn people away if they aren't near their appointment time. As others pointed out the Starbucks is very close by. The entrance to the Consulate is on the side of the building. Good luck!

9 hours ago, jle2234 said:

Thanks buddy. I did call NVC as US Consulate in Montreal does not take telephone calls. They told me that I am supposed to go through the ink provided in the Interview letter to grab the document list. 

In this case it was the 2nd link that I posted in my original post so I will go by that. 

10 minutes ago, acidrain said:

I never received an email unfortunately for either myself or my son :(

OP don't forget to bring the original i864 that is signed. They took a copy of our 2016 tax return and tax transcript received from the IRS. If the USC worked in the US they will require a W2. Originals of marriage certificate, birth certificate, police certificate. 2 US sized passport photos. Medical report. If you or your spouse divorced they want to see the decree (we aren't but asked if we were). They really want to know about arrests, charges, criminal activity (didn't apply to us but still asked). They verify your Canada and US intended address.

Everything I submitted at the NVC stage was right in front of them including domicile stuff. It was all straight forward. I brought as much stuff as possible in case they needed to verify anything. 

Just remember to not bring a briefcase, computer case, backpacks or purse. I checked in my cell phone. I used a plastic shopping bag to bring my items. 

It was also VERY cold! They turn people away if they aren't near their appointment time. As others pointed out the Starbucks is very close by. The entrance to the Consulate is on the side of the building. Good luck!

Thank you for the detailed reply :)

I am kind of confused on the signed i864 ... we mailed them the original signed i864 and kept photocopy of that. Am I supposed to bring that photocopy OR print a new one and get my wife to sign it?

I am going to take originals and copies of marriage certificate, birth certificate and police certificate and rest of the requested documents. Also I will bring everything that we submitted in NVC stage in AOS and IV package and possibly the i-130 package just in case.

Yes, I will only take documents in plastic bag and a cell phone. Weather doesn't look too bad but I will dress warm. I am still undecided between the Hotel Faubourg (closer to US Consulate) or Hotel Brossard (further away). I am extending the visit for 1 more day to check out Montreal. 

Timeline

We completed the NVC process via the CEAC website. We uploaded our documents online. If you mailed in the i864 they may have the original. Since nobody had seen our original they wanted to verify the ink signature. They gave it back to us after. 

I made copies of everything from the passport bio page to birth certificates. But they didn't take any copies. They looked at the originals. I can't say with confidence what they will ask for if you completed NVC by mail. The interviewer was able to see all the CEAC documents. 

I figured the more evidence we had the better. I didn't want to wind up in AP over a missing document. You will feel better if you do that. The weather caught us by surprise probably due to the time of day. It normally has been at freezing level. At 7am this morning with the wind chill it felt like -20. I am so glad security brought the kids inside as my son started to cry. Yes, it was that cold. The earlier you come, the more it will get to you.

There are many great places to eat in downtown Montreal. The underground tunnels and malls are extensive. The people are very nice and most people are bilingual. I never thought my son would be so upset over leaving such a huge city but he loved it! I am sure you will have as much fun as we did :)

Edited by acidrain

Dont take the cell phone. Youd have to hand it over at security anyhow.  Bring a book if you have a later appt.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

On 2/14/2018 at 10:08 AM, NikLR said:

Dont take the cell phone. Youd have to hand it over at security anyhow.  Bring a book if you have a later appt.  

I am planning to take my documents in one of those recyclable shopping bags made of cloth. Do you think they will let that through?

22 minutes ago, azeemguy said:

I am planning to take my documents in one of those recyclable shopping bags made of cloth. Do you think they will let that through?

Maybe.. generally not though.  I took a translucent expandable folder.   Day before my interview I saw them turn away a lady with a black one.  But that was 2013. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

8 minutes ago, NikLR said:

Maybe.. generally not though.  I took a translucent expandable folder.   Day before my interview I saw them turn away a lady with a black one.  But that was 2013. 

Hmmm. I will see if I can find a folder then. 

On 2/13/2018 at 10:43 PM, acidrain said:

We completed the NVC process via the CEAC website. We uploaded our documents online. If you mailed in the i864 they may have the original. Since nobody had seen our original they wanted to verify the ink signature. They gave it back to us after. 

Yes, I did mail the original. Is it wise to get another copy signed by my wife or just bring in the photocopy that I have ?

1 hour ago, azeemguy said:

Yes, I did mail the original. Is it wise to get another copy signed by my wife or just bring in the photocopy that I have ?

Photocopy is fine. 

Why did you choose not to do electronic processing?

15 hours ago, NikLR said:

Photocopy is fine. 

Why did you choose not to do electronic processing?

Electronic processing is not available for everyone. I did check if I can do that that the letter that I received only had instructions on mailing the documents. 

I will take photocopy with me :)

3 hours ago, azeemguy said:

Electronic processing is not available for everyone. I did check if I can do that that the letter that I received only had instructions on mailing the documents. 

I will take photocopy with me :)

Electronic processing is available for anyone doing the process in Canada.  

16 minutes ago, NikLR said:

Electronic processing is available for anyone doing the process in Canada.  

Hmmm. Below is the link for "Step 6: Submit Documents to the NVC

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/collect-and-submit-forms-and-documents-to-the-nvc/step-6-submit-documents-to-the-nvc.html

Method 2 for electronic processing has three conditions : 

1. If your NVC case begins with following : ADD, ANK, BGH, BNS, FRN, GTM, HNK, ISL, KBL, KEV, KHT, MRV, MTL, PHP, RDJ, SEO, SYD, TGG, THT

AND

2. Your visa category is : IR1, IR2, IR5, CR1, CR2, F1, F2A, F2B, F3, F4

AND 

3. You received : A letter from NVC saying “You May Begin Online Processing” (See sample letter below) 

I was good with 1 and 2 but the letter I didn't receive that letter from NVC about online processing. 

If it is actually true what you say then they seriously need to rephrase that website :P

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.