JennaL

B2 Visa in Administrative Processing for 14 months

16 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Norway
Timeline

Hello,

My fiancé applied for a B2 visa to come and visit me in the US back in December 2016. It has been about 14 months now that it has been in "administrative processing" and we have since become engaged.

We began our K1 fiancé visa process about one month ago, and I understand estimates for that process are now ranging between 9 - 12 months for approval/completion.

In the meantime, we are still holding out hope that his B2 visa will be approved and he will be allowed to come to the US for a visit while we wait on our K1 process. (We've met many times before, but always in a country other than the US.)

He is originally from Iran but has been a Norwegian citizen for over 15 years now. He has a steady job, no criminal record, and owns his own home in Norway, so I'm not sure why the 14 months of administrative processing.

He was also in the US for a visit back in 2012 before a visa was required for him, had no issues, and returned home to Norway as planned.

I am wondering if this has something to do with the fact that he originates from Iran which is now a banned country, even though he is now a citizen of a non-banned country.

We have reached out many times to the embassy where he had his interview and they have never been willing to give us any further information other than to "just wait."

Surely someone at the embassy knows the exact reason his case has been in administrative processing for so long and what it will take to approve or deny it, we just can not get them to tell us that info.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar or know of any other contacts who would be more forthcoming with information for us?

I-129F Sent: 12/29/17

I-129F NOA 1: 1/4/18

I-129F NOA 2: 7/9/18

NVC Received: 7/18/18

Consulate Received: 8/9/18

Packet 3 Received: 8/13/18

Interview Date: 9/20/18

Interview Result: Administrative Processing

*Visitor's visa interview: December 2016, called back by embassy for second interview on same visa application in January 2019 - visitor's visa finally issued May 2019.

*Fiance visa placed in administrative processing September 2018. 

*Beneficiary's Country: Norway via Iran.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I would hate to guess but it just could be because he originated from Iran. Has he traveled back to Iran over the years?

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Norway
Timeline

No, he left about 15 years ago and has no plans to return.

I-129F Sent: 12/29/17

I-129F NOA 1: 1/4/18

I-129F NOA 2: 7/9/18

NVC Received: 7/18/18

Consulate Received: 8/9/18

Packet 3 Received: 8/13/18

Interview Date: 9/20/18

Interview Result: Administrative Processing

*Visitor's visa interview: December 2016, called back by embassy for second interview on same visa application in January 2019 - visitor's visa finally issued May 2019.

*Fiance visa placed in administrative processing September 2018. 

*Beneficiary's Country: Norway via Iran.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I just went through your timeline. 14 months ago about would have been Mid December 2016. There was no such travel ban in affect at all until around February 2017, so he was already in AP for about two months before any travel ban was introduced, so while the travel ban(all versions to be taken into account) may have some affect now, the original AP was for something else I am guessing.

Edited by Ben&Zian

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Just to clarify, he could have travelled on an ESTA as a Norwegian citizen, but applied for B2? Is this because he wanted to stay longer than 90 days? Or is he ineligible for an ESTA for some reason? You mentioned he was in the US  in 2012 “before  a visa was required for him” - why would he need a visa?

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

He is not eligible to use the VWP, I also assume it is due to his background.

Did not think it was possible to relinquish Iranian Citizenship?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

2 hours ago, Boiler said:

He is not eligible to use the VWP, I also assume it is due to his background.

Did not think it was possible to relinquish Iranian Citizenship?

Then I’m curious how he traveled in 2012 “before” he “required” a visa, if not on VWP.

Timeline

I assume he did, different rules back then.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
2 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Vs Dec 2016 when he applied for a visa? Trump wasn’t president yet, what was different?

Obama

17 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Obama

Who was also around in 2012. Not sure what dots I’m not connecting here. Was there a change to who could use VWP even if citizens of eligible countries under obama? Or was there something specific to this guy that made him need a visa? - , in which case it would probably also explain his long AP.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline
3 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Who was also around in 2012. Not sure what dots I’m not connecting here. Was there a change to who could use VWP even if citizens of eligible countries under obama? Or was there something specific to this guy that made him need a visa? - , in which case it would probably also explain his long AP.

On December 18, 2015, the Visa Waiver Program Improvement and Terrorist Travel Prevention Act of 2015 (the Act) became law as part of the Consolidated Appropriations Act 2016. The Act, among other things, established new eligibility requirements for travel under the VWP. These new eligibility requirements do not bar travel to the United States. Instead, a traveler who does not meet the requirements must obtain a visa for travel to the United States, which generally includes an in-person interview at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

Filed: Timeline
5 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

https://uk.usembassy.gov/united-states-begins-implementation-of-changes-to-the-visa-waiver-program/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.