venom123

Interview tomorrow, very nervous! Any tips?

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

We have our interview tomorrow and I'm extremely nervous for 2 reasons:

1. We havent told our parents that we're married because we're currently living with my wifes parents and they said we'd have to move out if we get married - we cannot afford that right now. I'm on very bad terms with my parents and I don't really talk to them anyway, telling them about the marriage would put me on in worse terms with them. We want to wait until we're both financially stable and can move out before we tell them.

2. My parents are also adjusting to become GC holders, but my father is doing it through is job. I dont know if that will effect things?

Evidence I'm bringing:

1. Both our credit cards and statements to prove I'm an authorized user on her credit cards. We have 4 credit cards in which I'm an authorized user, do I need to bring evidence of all 4? Or would 1 be enough?

2. Bank statement of our joint bank account.

3. Car title in both of our names

4. Car insurance in both of our names.

5. Album of photos with my with and her family, taken over the course of a year, which includes 2 vacations together and even a family vacation together

6. Airline receipts to prove I paid for her ticket when she first came to visit me.

7. Airline e-ticket for when i came to visit her.

8. Receipts of gifts I purchased for her.

9. Photo of flowers I got for her last valentines day.

10. Drivers licence with the same address.

11. Birthday/Christmas cards from wifes family.

12. Tax returns filed as married.

13. Screenshots of facebook photos that friends/family posted of us.

Is there anything else I could bring to strengthen our case of a bonafide marriage or does everything look okay?

Edited by venom123

AOS from Visa Waiver:                                                                                                                        

04/01/16....Met online playing Dota 2 

01/20/17....POE Chicago (Visa Waiver - Visitor)

06/27/17....Marriage at courthouse, IL 

07/11/17....AOS mailed 1.45pm  - I-130, I-130a, I-131, I-485, I-765, I-864 X2 (for wife and joint sponsor) - Day 0

07/12/17....AOS Packet arrived at Chicago Lockbox - Day 1

07/19/17....NOA 1 Email/Texts received 11.23pm - Day 8

07/22/17....NOA 1 physical copies arrived  - Day 11

10/17/17....We Have Ordered your new card (EAD)   - Day 98

10/19/17....Card Mailed! (EAD) - Day 100

01/12/18....Scheduled For Interview (EAD) - Day 185

02/13/18....Interviewed and Approved for 2 Year GC! :jest:   - Day 217

02/14/18....We have Ordered your new card (2 Year GC)!  - Day 218

02/15/18....Card Mailed (2 Year GC)!  - Day 219

Was a stressful journey full of ups and downs, cya in 2020 VJ. I'll be back when it's time to begin the dreaded I-751. Biggest advice - make sure you have a TON of evidence, be completely honest and you'll be fine. Good luck everyone! =)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

GOOD LUCK!!! I have my interview tomorrow and can 100% share the STRESS!!!! I keep going over everything the same way you are almost picking at anything that might lead to a denial. The truth is we both come from low fraud countries. So the chances they will deny you based on your relationship are extremely low. Everything you have shared looks great. I don't think the interviewer is going to care what details of your relationship you've shared with different people. Some families are strained. It happens. The important thing is you are being truthful and can show supporting evidence.

Timeline
31 minutes ago, acidrain said:

GOOD LUCK!!! I have my interview tomorrow and can 100% share the STRESS!!!! I keep going over everything the same way you are almost picking at anything that might lead to a denial. The truth is we both come from low fraud countries. So the chances they will deny you based on your relationship are extremely low. Everything you have shared looks great. I don't think the interviewer is going to care what details of your relationship you've shared with different people. Some families are strained. It happens. The important thing is you are being truthful and can show supporting evidence.

Haha, yeah I keep picking at anything tiny detail! Thank you, and good luck to you! You've relieved a lot of stress.

We have 4 credit cards, how many do you think we should bring?

AOS from Visa Waiver:                                                                                                                        

07/11/17....AOS mailed 1.45pm  - I-130, I-130a, I-131, I-485, I-765, I-864 X2 (for wife and joint sponsor) - Day 0

Was a stressful journey full of ups and downs, cya in 2020 VJ. I'll be back when it's time to begin the dreaded I-751. Biggest advice - make sure you have a TON of evidence, be completely honest and you'll be fine. Good luck everyone! =)

Timeline
7 minutes ago, venom123 said:

Haha, yeah I keep picking at anything tiny detail! Thank you, and good luck to you! You've relieved a lot of stress.

i think you have more than enough evidence. Good Luck! on tomorrow and update us.

Timeline
50 minutes ago, venom123 said:

Trust me if anyone understands I DO! The interview is starting to swirl in my head. What if I sleep in? What if they ask for something I don't have? I think the people who usually have the most problems are the type of people who don't worry about anything. I have no doubt you have armed yourself with so much documentation they won't have time to go through it all. Best to be prepared though cause then you can say you presented your best case. Breathe deeply and keep thinking this time tomorrow you will have an answer!

Timeline
15 minutes ago, acidrain said:

Trust me if anyone understands I DO! The interview is starting to swirl in my head. What if I sleep in? What if they ask for something I don't have? I think the people who usually have the most problems are the type of people who don't worry about anything. I have no doubt you have armed yourself with so much documentation they won't have time to go through it all. Best to be prepared though cause then you can say you presented your best case. Breathe deeply and keep thinking this time tomorrow you will have an answer!

Exactly! I to drive 2.5 hours each way tomorrow, going to be extremely nervous on the way there. My wife isn't nervous at all, she doesnt really understand USCIS and the GC process at all. She just thinks its a nice little talk with some immigration people. She gets worried VERY easily so I don't want to tell her how probing the questions could be.

Do I need to bring a copy of the AOS package we sent to USCIS? Because I didn't keep a backup copy.

Also does anyone have a list of practice questions me and my wife can ask each other? Just in case they ask very specific questions that we honestly don't know the answer to, like - what colour are the curtains in your room? What colour are the walls in your room? (i honestly didnt know until i just looked at them)

Edited by venom123

AOS from Visa Waiver:                                                                                                                        

Timeline

Unfortunately I cannot speak to the AOS process as I am at the Canadian consulate abroad. I am sure it's the same sort of interview where they ask how you met, how long have you been together, when did you get married and where, etc. I honestly don't think you have a lot to worry about because you guys live together. I've been together with my husband for 12.5 years and I couldn't tell you what kind of shower soap he uses. I'd like to think most people will be reasonable. 

Wow 2.5 hours each way! Try not to let your hands shake on the steering wheel! Just keep reminding yourself in x hours it will all be over with. You have nothing to be nervous about if you've been totally honest about everything.

Generally I feel more confident the more stuff I have. So if you can I would bring as much material to the interview as possible. That way you won't kick yourself should they ask for anything.

I am trying to have a clear head because of course with nerves you can start to think blanks. I try to remind myself the agents aren't going to go out of their way to screw someone over. As long as you can answer all the questions I am sure everything will be alright. Good luck tomorrow!!

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

Your wife signed the affidavit of support also?

Yeah sent that in way back in july 2017, when we did our i-864s.

Do we need to bring another copy? Because i dont have one.

Do i need to bring my wifes birth certificate or is her passport enough?

Edited by venom123

AOS from Visa Waiver:                                                                                                                        

Timeline
1 hour ago, venom123 said:

This is just a suggestion but I would bring everything you can to the interview. If you are driving 2.5 hours each way the last thing you need is being in AP because you didn't bring that "one" thing.

3 hours ago, venom123 said:

I would bring updated financial documents (and everything else you have handy, her passport should be sufficient)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Good Luck ours is next week. I guess we are lucky that ours is only a 10 minute drive from our house to our interview. 

Let us know how it goes. It sounds like you are more than prepared.

From the recent interviews from our local office, it is pretty calm and mostly yes/no questions about organizations you belong too and so on. Then they are asked just a couple simple questions about the marriage/relationship (some don't even get asked this). Once and a while they will ask for bank statements, etc. 

** I am just preparing to bring everything in duplicate in case something got lost of misplaced from the original packets and updating our financial paperwork **

Good Luck! 

Edited by AshMarty

01/31/17.... K1 Visa Approved

02/03/17.... K1 Visa Received in Hand

06/05/17....Arrived in the USA (LAX)

06/24/17....Married on Cape Cod <3

07/10/17....Sent AOS package (I-485, I-131, I-765)

07/17/17.... AOS notice date for NOA1 (I-485, I-131, I-765)

07/21/17.... Received mailed hardcopies of NOA1s

07/29/17.... Biometrics Notice received in mail 

08/01/17.... Biometrics Appointment AOS - complete (walked in)

08/07/17.... Biometrics Appointment EAD - complete (walked in)

10/23/17.... EAD/AP card delivered to house YAY!

Timeline
19 hours ago, venom123 said:

We have our interview tomorrow and I'm extremely nervous for 2 reasons:

1. We havent told our parents that we're married because we're currently living with my wifes parents and they said we'd have to move out if we get married - we cannot afford that right now. I'm on very bad terms with my parents and I don't really talk to them anyway, telling them about the marriage would put me on in worse terms with them. We want to wait until we're both financially stable and can move out before we tell them.

2. My parents are also adjusting to become GC holders, but my father is doing it through is job. I dont know if that will effect things?

Evidence I'm bringing:

1. Both our credit cards and statements to prove I'm an authorized user on her credit cards. We have 4 credit cards in which I'm an authorized user, do I need to bring evidence of all 4? Or would 1 be enough?

2. Bank statement of our joint bank account.

3. Car title in both of our names

4. Car insurance in both of our names.

5. Album of photos with my with and her family, taken over the course of a year, which includes 2 vacations together and even a family vacation together

6. Airline receipts to prove I paid for her ticket when she first came to visit me.

7. Airline e-ticket for when i came to visit her.

8. Receipts of gifts I purchased for her.

9. Photo of flowers I got for her last valentines day.

10. Drivers licence with the same address.

11. Birthday/Christmas cards from wifes family.

12. Tax returns filed as married.

13. Screenshots of facebook photos that friends/family posted of us.

Is there anything else I could bring to strengthen our case of a bonafide marriage or does everything look okay?

Hello Venom123,

Good luck with your interview. From what you mentioned, it looks like you have plenty of evidence to support your marriage so you will be fine. Besides as mentioned before you are from a low fraud country so you have that going on for you as well. So don't be to nervous. Let us know how your interview goes.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

best of luck to you both!

***CURRENT STATUS: US CITIZEN***

N-400 Naturalization Filed in the Texas LockBox (GC Date of 08/05/13)

00 Days- 05/09/16 Package Sent

01 Days- 05/10/16 Package Delivered

***PRIORITY DATE OF 05/10/16***

10 Days- 05/19/16 Received NOA

17 Days- 05/26/16 Received Biometrics Letter For 06/06/16

18 Days- 05/27/16 Biometrics Walk-in

***TRAVEL ABROAD FROM 06/15-06/30***

57 Days- 07/05/16 In Line For Interview :)

64 Days- 07/11/16 Interview Letter Mailed with a Scheduled date of 08/18/16

102 Days- 08/18/16 Interview (L) "Recommended For Approval"

106 Days- 08/22/16 In-Line for Oath :dancing:

117 Days- 09/02/16 Oath Ceremony (L) Officially a US CITIZEN.

121 Days- 09/06/16 Sent EXPEDITE passport application :dancing:

129 Days- 09/14/16 Received Passport :)

I-751 REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS FILED IN THE CALIFORNIA SERVICE CENTER (GC EXPIRATION DATE OF 08/05/15)

00 Days- 05/07/15 Package Sent

01 Days- 05/08/15 Package Delivered

***PRIORITY DATE OF 05/07/15 Even Tho Package Was Delivered On 05/08/15***

19 Days- 05/26/15 Received NOA

40 Days- 06/16/15 Biometrics Done

42 Days- 06/18/15 Stamp On Passport I-551 (evidence of permanent residency for 1 year with expiration date of 06/17/16)

181 Days- 11/04/15 Approved VIA Text Message 8:30 PM Eastern Time!

186 Days- 11/09/15 Approval letter came in from Charleston, SC office!

189 Days- 11/13/15 Greencard Arrived (L)

AOS, I-765, I-130 ADJUSTING THROUGH MARRIAGE (CURRENT IMMIGRATION STATUS: DACA, But came legally with Turist Visa)
00 Days- 05/14/13 Package Sent

01 Days- 05/15/13 Priority Date
08 Days- 05/22/13 Received NOA
14 Days- 05/28/13 Received Biometrics Letter For 06/12/13
16 Days- 05/30/13 Biometrics Walk-in:

36 Days- 06/19/13 Interview & Scheduling

49 Days- 07/02/13 USCIS Online Notification (interview Scheduled For 08/05/13)

63 Days- 07/16/13 EAD APPROVED good.gif

71 Days- 07/24/13 EAD Received

84 Days- 08/05/13 INTERVIEW!!!!!dancin5hr.gif

84 Days- 08/05/13 APPROVED ON THE SPOT BABY!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.