Lorixoxo

Travelling to Jamaica with expired GC and extension letter

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Albania
Timeline

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are going on vacation in Jamaica at the end of June. His green card expired January 2018 and he received form i797 stating that he can travel a year until basically November 2019. Will there be any problems going through customs and landing in Jamaica with these documentation? Will the officers at the airport in Jamaica accept the extension letter and expired green card? On our way back we are coming in the US through Orlando International Airport. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Lorixoxo said:

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are going on vacation in Jamaica at the end of June. His green card expired January 2018 and he received form i797 stating that he can travel a year until basically November 2019. Will there be any problems going through customs and landing in Jamaica with these documentation? Will the officers at the airport in Jamaica accept the extension letter and expired green card? On our way back we are coming in the US through Orlando International Airport. 

from what I found, 

you may re-enter the US if you have any of the following documents in your possession:

• An expired green card with a 10-year expiration date;

• A 1977 version of the green card with no expiration date;

• An expired green card with a two-year validity and a Form I-797, Notice of Action, indicating that your status is extended

Timeline
1 minute ago, Khallaf said:

from what I found, 

you may re-enter the US if you have any of the following documents in your possession:

• An expired green card with a 10-year expiration date;

• A 1977 version of the green card with no expiration date;

• An expired green card with a two-year validity and a Form I-797, Notice of Action, indicating that your status is extended

I think the US accepts the expired green card and extended status.. I’m just worried if Jamaica’s customs will let him in and out of the country with those documents?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
15 minutes ago, Lorixoxo said:

I think the US accepts the expired green card and extended status.. I’m just worried if Jamaica’s customs will let him in and out of the country with those documents?

What are the visa requirements for Jamaica for his passport?  

YMMV

2 minutes ago, payxibka said:

i was thinking the same thing

K1 visa adventure 

02/20/2017- I-129F packet send to Dallas

02/22/2017- I-129F packet delivered

02/28/2017-- check cashed

03/01/2017-- NOA1 text and email received transferred to (CSC)

03/06/2017-- NOA1 hard copy received in the mail.

05/23/2017 -- Notified RFE

06/16/2017 -- Replied RFE

06/19/2017 -- CSC Received reply

06/26/2017-- Approved 

06/30/2017-- received NOA2

07/10/2017-- NVC Recived case

07/11/2017-- Case number assigned

08/14/2017-- Interview ( APPROVED )

AOS

11/29/17- Packet sent to Chicago lockbox ( I-485, I-765, I-131 included)

12/1/2017- recieved packet

12/6/2017 NOA1 text and email recieved

12/8/2017 NOA1 Hard copy recieved

12/26/2017 Biometrics done

03/31/2018 RFE - I-131

04/19/2018 Approved I-765, I-131 ( EAD & AP )

04/26/2018 Received combo card in mail

12/06/2018 Interview done - no decision

12/27/2018  APPROVED - card being produced

Timeline
25 minutes ago, Lorixoxo said:

His passport, greencard and extension letter are his travel documents.  You are not the first one to be in this situation

U.S. Residents

Nationals or citizens of other countries (with the exception of TAIWAN) who are permanent residents of the United States may enter Jamaica as tourists without visas, but must travel with the following in their possession:

• A passport or travel document, valid for the duration of stay in Jamaica;
  • Alien Registration Cards (Green Cards) or
  • Valid United States re-entry permits (if applicable)
  • Round-trip tickets to the USA or onward tickets to another destination

Resident aliens in the United States, visiting Jamaica as tourists for periods not exceeding six (6) months, and who possess a return or round trip touring tickets showing that their journey began in the USA, Puerto Rico or the US Virgin Islands, and that they are entitled to return there. It is recommend that they have in their possession a valid passport to enter Jamaica.

YMMV

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
52 minutes ago, Lorixoxo said:

As long as you have the extension letter you will be fine, however airlines have a little bit of a different policy to allow fly, you will want to call the airline you are going to use, and find out the information straight from them, if they will allow him to fly with the extension letter and the expired green card

Timeline
1 minute ago, Khallaf said:

As long as you have the extension letter you will be fine, however airlines have a little bit of a different policy to allow fly, you will want to call the airline you are going to use, and find out the information straight from them, if they will allow him to fly with the extension letter and the expired green card

Airlines do not have a different policy.  The problem would only be ignorance of the requirements by the gate agent

YMMV

Timeline

He has an Albanian passport.. no visa requirements for less than 30 days of tourism. I also called JetBlue the airline we’re flying from and to, and they said they’re totally okay with it. But yeah I guess depends who you get at the gate :(

12 hours ago, Lorixoxo said:

He has an Albanian passport.. no visa requirements for less than 30 days of tourism. I also called JetBlue the airline we’re flying from and to, and they said they’re totally okay with it. But yeah I guess depends who you get at the gate :(

Shouldn't have any problems. I traveled 3 times to different countries with my extension letter and expired GC, never had any problems...

• 1 year later...
On 2/7/2018 at 9:35 PM, MiraW said:

Shouldn't have any problems. I traveled 3 times to different countries with my extension letter and expired GC, never had any problems...

Hi.. I have similar  situation I’m from Kazakhstan , I checked the requirements to enter to Jamaica it says that Kazakh citizens do not need a visa if a Green Card Holder.. however, my GC has been expired I got the Valid Extension Letter tho.. would this work to enter Jamaica? My airline is Delta . 

• 4 years later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
On 2/7/2018 at 7:21 AM, Lorixoxo said:

Hi everyone,

Hey, I know this was years ago but did your husband experience any issues traveling to Jamaica with the expired green card and extension letter?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Five year old thread locked to further replies. The Op has not been back in 4 years.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.