FrancesTaber

Secondary Processing on Extension Letter during ROC?

8 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

I'm aware traveling is fine with the green card extension letter while awaiting Removal of Conditions. My question is more specifically for Canadians who cross at land border crossings with the Nexus card. Can I still cross in the Nexus lane when coming back into the United States? I will obviously have my expired green card, green card extension letter, passport and Nexus card with me. Just wondering if people have experience with this/if I should expect to get pulled into secondary processing or what not.

Thank you all in advance!!

2 minutes ago, FrancesTaber said:

Hi Everyone,

I'm aware traveling is fine with the green card extension letter while awaiting Removal of Conditions. My question is more specifically for Canadians who cross at land border crossings with the Nexus card. Can I still cross in the Nexus lane when coming back into the United States? I will obviously have my expired green card, green card extension letter, passport and Nexus card with me. Just wondering if people have experience with this/if I should expect to get pulled into secondary processing or what not.

Thank you all in advance!!

I had to go in the first time because my green card was showing up as expired, they updated the expiry date +1 year and I was fine the other times I crossed. Updated the system again once I got my 19-year card.

• 2 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I just used Nexus with ROC/extension letter. I got flagged using the card and the IO said it was flagged because of the expiration date on my green card. She then said she could fix it and deleted my green card from my Nexus file.

I haven't tried to use it since, but now I'm a little concerned I'll get flagged for missing info on my Nexus.

Curious to how Nexus weeks with ROC. It might be easier to just go in the regular line

--------------------------

K-1 Visa Timeline

--------------------------

04/21/2014: Submitted I-129F

05/29/2014: NOA2 via email

01/20/2015: Visa Received

03/15/2015: POE

04/01/2015: Married!! (L)

04/11/2015: Submitted AOS / EAD / AP

10/09/2015: Green Card Approved

07/20/2017: Submitted I-751 ROC

07/27/2017: NOA1 Received

10/14/2017: Biometrics Waived

10/27/2018: ROC Approved

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

From my understanding, you go in the website and add one year to the card. Then, do not use your GC at the GE/Nexus Machine, use either your Nexus Card or type in manually your A#. Should process as if your green card is not expired. 

Hey everyone! 

I am now able to answer my own question having been to Canada twice since my card expired at the end of February! The first time going into Canada the border officer just mentioned that I should not use the nexus card until I update my information as it does flag that the green card on file is expired. So I went to the nexus office at the land crossing (obviously not as easy for everyone to do unless you happen to be near one) and they easily updated my info in about 5 mins. Since then I have been through the nexus lane three additional times (by land only so far) and each time I got through with no problems. Just handed over my nexus, green card, and extension letter when pulling up to the booth!

Hope this helps. 

• 7 months later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 4/19/2018 at 8:42 PM, FrancesTaber said:

Hey everyone! 

I am now able to answer my own question having been to Canada twice since my card expired at the end of February! The first time going into Canada the border officer just mentioned that I should not use the nexus card until I update my information as it does flag that the green card on file is expired. So I went to the nexus office at the land crossing (obviously not as easy for everyone to do unless you happen to be near one) and they easily updated my info in about 5 mins. Since then I have been through the nexus lane three additional times (by land only so far) and each time I got through with no problems. Just handed over my nexus, green card, and extension letter when pulling up to the booth!

Hope this helps. 

I know this post is several months old, but hoping you might still answer. 

Do you know what they updated on your Nexus card? Was it just the expiry date or they add something about the letter? I called the Nexus number and they told me to change the expiry date in the portal to +1 year and then just make sure I have my extension letter and everything when I travel. When I crossed into Canada, I was told by CBSA that something on my Nexus is showing as expired so I need to go check it out with them. 

So I am planning to go by the Nexus office this coming week as I am near one (I only come to Canada once a year now and live in the southern US so none near me) and I now have a 18 month letter (did not yet change expiry to 18 months). I am just worried that they are going to yell at me or something. Because looking at what other have said, the person on the phone should not have told me to change the date in the portal. But it did seem logical to me since the letter says it is extended.

Thanks

USCIS

Spoiler

2015-02-02: Sent I-130

2015-02-04: USCIS Received and transferred to NSC

2015-02-06: NOA1

2015-06-19: NOA2 Email. 133 days between NOA1 and NOA2

2015-06-26: USCIS update that case was sent to NVC

NVC

Spoiler

2015-07-02: Case received by NVC

2015-07-14: Case number assigned when calling on 2015-07-20 but couldn't give emails as case was locked still

2015-07-27: Called and was able to give emails

2015-07-27: Submit DS-261

2015-07-27: Pay AOS Fee

2015-08-25: Receive IV bill

2015-08-26: Pay IV Fee

2015-09-05: Submit DS-260

2015-09-07: Sent AOS and IV package via EP

2015-10-11: Resubmit via EP after being told to do so on 2015-10-09 as it looked like our original emails were lost

2015-10-16: Received email for scan date of 2015-10-12. Told that basically nothing can be done and we need to wait 30 days from 2015-10-12 (30+ days lost because they lost our emails)

2015-10-26: Told case is basically complete but that they are building my electronic file. Told there is no timeline for this.

2015-10-30 & 2015-11-13: Still told no update. Building electronic file still and no timeline.

2015-11-17: Case Complete

2015-12-03: Receive packet 4

2015-12-15: Medical

2015-12-18: Medical picked up results

2016-01-12: Interview - Approved!

2016-02-03: POE

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, 

I believe they just updated the underlying green card information. Since then I have had a few issues with using the nexus however. Going into Canada they told me it needed to be updated again, claiming that it had only been updated on the American end not the Canadian end while I was at the Fort Erie Nexus office. So I updated on my way out of Canada and had no problem going back into the US. Then the next time I went to Canada a few months later they once again said there was an error with the update and that I needed to go in again. That time I was at the Ivy Lea border crossing in the Thousand Islands where the Nexus office is not open very long hours and wasn’t able to stop in. The border agent once again let me in through the nexus line but made a fuss about the Fort Erie office not updating my card correctly. Since then I haven’t bothered trying to use it as I’m a bit sick of getting scolded at the border!! 

Sorry I cant be more helpful, but from what the Nexus office workers told me you have to update it in person. And for some reason my issues only seem to be appearing when entering Canada not entering the United States. 

Each time I went into the Nexus office the people were very nice, so I don’t expect them to yell at you. I think it’s more the actual crossing agents that get mad when you haven’t updated it. 

Hope this helps, and I hope you have better luck updating yours than I have had! 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
20 minutes ago, FrancesTaber said:

Hello, 

I believe they just updated the underlying green card information. Since then I have had a few issues with using the nexus however. Going into Canada they told me it needed to be updated again, claiming that it had only been updated on the American end not the Canadian end while I was at the Fort Erie Nexus office. So I updated on my way out of Canada and had no problem going back into the US. Then the next time I went to Canada a few months later they once again said there was an error with the update and that I needed to go in again. That time I was at the Ivy Lea border crossing in the Thousand Islands where the Nexus office is not open very long hours and wasn’t able to stop in. The border agent once again let me in through the nexus line but made a fuss about the Fort Erie office not updating my card correctly. Since then I haven’t bothered trying to use it as I’m a bit sick of getting scolded at the border!! 

Sorry I cant be more helpful, but from what the Nexus office workers told me you have to update it in person. And for some reason my issues only seem to be appearing when entering Canada not entering the United States. 

Each time I went into the Nexus office the people were very nice, so I don’t expect them to yell at you. I think it’s more the actual crossing agents that get mad when you haven’t updated it. 

Hope this helps, and I hope you have better luck updating yours than I have had! 

Yeah I went in last week, they were nice. Mind you I sorta had the same thing. I was in the Montreal Airport and the Canadian officer at the desk said they had like an expired license etc. But when I look at the portal it does not show it and I know I gave my US license last time I was there to put the green card on file (when I got yelled at). So she updated a bunch of info on her computer. Then she told me to have a seat while she kept everything and she gave it to a US officer who came out 5 minutes later and told me I was good to go and was very nice. The Canadian officer did tell me when I left that if I had any issues again crossing into Canada to come back as nothing on my file should have made it not work like the agent said and if it happened again to come back and they would open an IT request with Ottawa. 

When I crossed back into the US it was a bit of a pain as the Global Entry machine won't read my GC cause it is expired (mind you the machine says nothing and just does not do anything) so seems I just have to walk up to the counter and hand it to them.

USCIS

Spoiler

2015-02-02: Sent I-130

2015-02-04: USCIS Received and transferred to NSC

2015-02-06: NOA1

2015-06-19: NOA2 Email. 133 days between NOA1 and NOA2

2015-06-26: USCIS update that case was sent to NVC

NVC

Spoiler

2015-07-02: Case received by NVC

2015-07-14: Case number assigned when calling on 2015-07-20 but couldn't give emails as case was locked still

2015-07-27: Called and was able to give emails

2015-07-27: Submit DS-261

2015-07-27: Pay AOS Fee

2015-08-25: Receive IV bill

2015-08-26: Pay IV Fee

2015-09-05: Submit DS-260

2015-09-07: Sent AOS and IV package via EP

2015-10-11: Resubmit via EP after being told to do so on 2015-10-09 as it looked like our original emails were lost

2015-10-16: Received email for scan date of 2015-10-12. Told that basically nothing can be done and we need to wait 30 days from 2015-10-12 (30+ days lost because they lost our emails)

2015-10-26: Told case is basically complete but that they are building my electronic file. Told there is no timeline for this.

2015-10-30 & 2015-11-13: Still told no update. Building electronic file still and no timeline.

2015-11-17: Case Complete

2015-12-03: Receive packet 4

2015-12-15: Medical

2015-12-18: Medical picked up results

2016-01-12: Interview - Approved!

2016-02-03: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.