vpk2014

RFE after naturalization interview

11 posts in this topic

Hello, last July 2017 my journey to become citizenship started, everything seemed to be going well - had my interview Jan 2nd week but 2 days ago online status got updated to "Request for Initial evidence was mailed". My interview officer in NJ was very nice, i answered all the questions and it was over in 15mins to 20mins. No documents were asked except GC, passport & drivers license.

She said everything looks ok but she cannot make the decision right away but i did pass the interview.

I am waiting for the RFE letter to see what documents they are asking but just wondering to see if anyone else is in the same situation. My GC 10 years is expiring this Aug so bit nervous on how long this RFE could delay etc

Thank you for your input!

Are you naturalizing based on marriage? Or have any criminal records?

I never heard of someone getting RFE'd w/o any records and for a five year non-marriage based naturalization.

Hello, any one know how i can get "tax transcripts" for 2006, 2007 and 2008.

I called IRS, setup account etc but it seems i cannot get the "tax transcripts" from IRS in anyway for the years 2006, 2007 or 2008 because stautatory limit records are destroyed after 7 years by law.

So i am in big trouble if i cannot submit these transcripts but there seems to be no way i can get that old docs from IRS. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline
2 hours ago, vpk2014 said:

Hello, any one know how i can get "tax transcripts" for 2006, 2007 and 2008.

I called IRS, setup account etc but it seems i cannot get the "tax transcripts" from IRS in anyway for the years 2006, 2007 or 2008 because stautatory limit records are destroyed after 7 years by law.

So i am in big trouble if i cannot submit these transcripts but there seems to be no way i can get that old docs from IRS. Any input is greatly appreciated.

seems odd...usually they only ask for the past 3 years

Joyce

2/10/04 - interview date!!!!!!!Got Visa!!!!

3/11/04 - Massimo arrived in USA...Hurray!!!

4/25/04 - Happily Married in New Jersey

5/12/04 - starting AOS papers

5/17/04 - Mailed I-485, 131, (certified mail) to Newark

7/12/04 - Biometrics for AOS done in NYC

2/1/05 - received interview letter for May 16, 2005

5/16/05 - Successful (and fast) AOS interview in Cherry Hill!!!

I751

3/1/07 - mailed I751 package to VSC - regular mail

3/7/07 - cashed 205.00 check

3/9/07 - cashed 70.00 biometrics check

3/16/07 - received blue receipt notice for biometrics fee

3/24/07 - received NOA extending GC for another year

3/24/07 - received Biometrics appointment letter

4/6/07 - Biometrics appointment in Newark at 9am

4/7/07 - touched

4/11/07 - touched

9/28/07 - email received...Card production ordered!

10/4/07 - received congratulations letter in the mail

10/09/07 - 10 year green card received

Can you upload a scan of the RFE (with your personal info blacked out) specifically requesting those years' tax returns? I find it unlikely those years are specifically being requested.

Filed: Other Country: Sweden
Timeline

The IRS site says you can get transcripts going back ten years.  Not everything you want, but better than nothing. Can you say more about your conversation with the officer?  Did they say why this information is required?  Do you have an employment-based green card?  When was it issued?  Did the officer ask how long you stayed with your sponsoring employer and how much you were paid?  This definitely sounds unusual, so the more details you provide the better. 

Edited by shomer

2 hours ago, shomer said:

The IRS site says you can get transcripts going back ten years.  Not everything you want, but better than nothing. Can you say more about your conversation with the officer?  Did they say why this information is required?  Do you have an employment-based green card?  When was it issued?  Did the officer ask how long you stayed with your sponsoring employer and how much you were paid?  This definitely sounds unusual, so the more details you provide the better. 

Not sure of the reason but I worked every single day and got paid for everything I worked and have most of the 2006,2007&2008 pay stubs copies even till today during my tenure, have all 3 years of tax returns and original W2s. I stayed 15 months plus even after I got the green card.

Filed: Other Country: Sweden
Timeline
17 minutes ago, vpk2014 said:

Not sure of the reason but I worked every single day and got paid for everything I worked and have most of the 2006,2007&2008 pay stubs copies even till today during my tenure, have all 3 years of tax returns and original W2s. I stayed 15 months plus even after I got the green card.

Why those three years?  What happened then?

Filed: Other Timeline

If I need to find copies of my tax returns, I go to my Steelcase steel cabinet which contains all important documents. I pull up the upper drawer, then look for the years I need. Pretty easy, huh?

Clearly, the request for tax returns has nothing to do with your taxes per se. My educated guess is that they want to see HOW you filed your taxes, i.e., married, filed jointly.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

• 2 years later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline
5 hours ago, Hith said:

@vpk2014 what had happened to your case, what was the final outcome? I happened to get similar RFE asking for tax transcripts for 2002-2006. As you went through, i could not get transcripts from IRS . Would like to learn from your case.

why does uscis need so old Tax transcript? 2002 - 2006. I have read they only need last 5 years tax returns.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.