Sonata Arctica

BENEFICIARY BIRTH CERTIFICATE REQUIREMENT

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I am a Canadian citizen through naturalization, and was born in Pakistan in 1971. I was born in days when they didnt have a birth certificate, so I never had one. All I had when I immigrated to Canada was a certified true copy of a birth certificate that was made by the municipality of the city I lived in (in Pakistan). I do not have the original and cannot get it. However, I still have that certified true copy with me. My wife, who is an American citizen, has sponsored me for IR-1 and we have received our NOA1 for the I-130 a week ago.

My question is in reference to my original birth certificate. Since I do not have it, and have no way of getting it from Pakistan (I have never gone back there, and have no way of getting one), can I use the certified (notarized in Pakistan) copy of that birth certificate that I have on me when the time comes to submit more documents to the NVC and take it with me to the interview in Montreal?

What are my options in this regard? My parents are too old to even walk, and I am almost 47, so there is no way that they can get another one issued (which in and of itself is a nightmare to get in a country like Pakistan). With no proper record systems in place, it is not likely that I can get an original one.

Thanks.

Birth Certificates

Available

Fees: The fees vary by location.

Document Name: Birth certificate, Child Registration Certificate

Issuing Authority: Union Council, Municipal Corporation, CDA or family registration certificates (FRC) from NADRA are acceptable. In larger cities, such as Rawalpindi, Lahore, Karachi etc. municipal corporation issued birth certificates prior to 2001 are acceptable. Pakistanis may present a family registration certificate (FRC) issued by the NADRA.

Special Seal(s) / Color / Format: This varies by location.

Issuing Authority Personnel Title: There is no issuing authority personnel title

Registration Criteria: Births are to be registered with the Union Council within two months.

Procedure for Obtaining: Applicants go to the Union Council, fill out a form, and provide identification. The process for late registration is more complex, requiring two affidavits to the concerning authority. The concerning authority then issues a letter to the Union Council authorizing the late entry. Once this process has been completed, the applicants can go to the Union Council to register.

Certified Copies Available: Certified copies are available

Alternate Documents: In lieu of a birth certificate, Pakistanis often use Child Registration Certificates or Family Registration Certificates (FRC) listing all family members & showing their relationship.

Exceptions: None

Comments: Records of birth are inconsistent because most people only request one when required for a specific reason. Birth certificates can be in either English or Urdu with English translation.

Source: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Pakistan.html

No exception are listed for Pakistan, you might want to write to the Montreal Consulate to see if your copy is sufficient. 

Timeline

Im not familiar with the meaning of an exception in this situation. Please explain.

I just received our NOA1. Is it prudent to write to Montreal now and ask this question? How do i reach them?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Nobody actually gets the original birth Certificates.  The government always keeps that and gives you a certified copy of that original. If your certified copy has the proper seal or what ever they do in Pakistan then that should be all you need. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

Also make a photo copy of it and send that in. Take the Certified copy with you to the interview. If you give them the certified copy you may never get it back. 

Spoiler

Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Filed 03/08/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

Timeline
19 minutes ago, Ontarkie said:

Nobody actually gets the original birth Certificates.  The government always keeps that and gives you a certified copy of that original. If your certified copy has the proper seal or what ever they do in Pakistan then that should be all you need. 

What I have is a photocopy of what they gave me 17 years ago. It is that photocopy that is notarized by a notary public. If there is a seal on it, its photocopied. The only thing on top of it is the notary stamp and signature.

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Sonata Arctica said:

What I have is a photocopy of what they gave me 17 years ago. It is that photocopy that is notarized by a notary public. If there is a seal on it, its photocopied. The only thing on top of it is the notary stamp and signature.

I don't think that will work. I can move this thread to the Regional forum for Pakistan they would have much better knowledge on how to get a new one. 

Spoiler

Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Filed 03/08/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

Timeline
Just now, Ontarkie said:

I don't think that will work. I can move this thread to the Regional forum for Pakistan they would have much better knowledge on how to get a new one. 

thank you. But its likely that forum will be of people who are in Pakistan and not in Canada. I could be wrong though.

2 hours ago, Sonata Arctica said:

Im not familiar with the meaning of an exception in this situation. Please explain.

I just received our NOA1. Is it prudent to write to Montreal now and ask this question? How do i reach them?

Here: montreal-iv-dv@state.gov

Timeline
14 minutes ago, Sonata Arctica said:

thank you. But its likely that forum will be of people who are in Pakistan and not in Canada. I could be wrong though.

yes that would most likely be the case. 

Spoiler

Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Filed 03/08/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

Timeline
36 minutes ago, Ontarkie said:

yes that would most likely be the case. 

Probably best to keep it here since over there they wont have any context of whats needed. Thank you for the offer though :)

Hope others can also chime in with words of wisdom.

7 minutes ago, Sonata Arctica said:

Probably best to keep it here since over there they wont have any context of whats needed. Thank you for the offer though :)

Hope others can also chime in with words of wisdom.

Usually, same documents are needeed wherever you are.  Otherwise, on the reciprocity website I listed earlier it states what is acceptable when not available from abroad.  

Example, look at what is written for UAE under Police certificate:
Comments: Not available by mail. Post recommends that consular officers waive the general requirement to obtain police certificates unless the applicant lives in the UAE.

If you need it, you might want to contact the Pakistan Embassy for advice on how to proceed - probably not the only person born in Pakistan who needs this document.

Edited by Lemonslice

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.