deerefanatic

Marrying someone on a F1 Visa

15 posts in this topic

Hello all, my first post here. My fiance and I are planning to get married this July. She is here from Uganda on a F1 visa, studying for her MBA. We met several months after she arrived in the US, so there is no foul play or suspicion there.. And she is planning to stay in school even after we are married to finish her degree..

I'm wondering if anyone else here has gone through this? Do we need to file anything prior to the wedding? Or do I just go to the county courthouse and get the marriage license like I would if I were marrying a us citizen? She doesn't have a US photo id, but rather her Passport and College ID's. 

Thanks for any input you all could give me on this.

-Matt

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

It all depends on the state you are getting married in. But usually all you need is go to courthouse with IDs and get a marriage license. When you are ready to file for AOS that’s when the fun begins of gathering all the paperwork. 

You do not need a lawyer.  Download the latest versions of the forms from USCIS website and follow the guides on this forum. Ask questions and look for older threads that have lists of what they submitted. You will need evidence of bona fide marriage as well (like a joint bank account, evidence that you live together, etc.). 

18 hours ago, deerefanatic said:

OK. That's good to know. For bank account, once we have a signed marriage license, it shouldn't be too hard to get an SSN for her to put her on my accounts, right?

You do not need a marriage license to add her to your account. She should already have a SSN (not always necessary for bank purposes, but it varies by bank) and she has an ID (her passport or driver's license). 

It is important to have proof that you live together. Either both you can can be on the lease, or utility bills with the same address (e.g. you are on electric and she is on internet, and both bills have the same address), both have driver's license with the same address, etc. 

There are a number of things you can send, some people have been pretty creative finding evidence. 

I've read instances where SS office won't issue SSN without EAD card that she will receive after AOS/Green Card application. 

You can check my application package for reference  (link in my signature) and guide to prep your application package. Good luck!

Spoiler

Aug 2011 - Arrived on F1 visa

09/06/2015 Started exchanging messages

10/13/2015 We met in person

07/01/2017 We got engaged!

10/31/2017 We got married!

11/08/2017 AOS Package (I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131) sent via USPS - Chicago Lockbox

(Priority Mail - USPS autocorrected zipcode to 60680-4187)

11/12/2017 Package delivered (Delayed due to USPS mistakenly took it to 60624 and Veteran's Day) 

11/13/2017 Received Date (Priority Date)

11/21/2017 Received 4 e-mails & 4 text notifications (01:30 AM EST); checks cashed

11/28/2017 Received 4 NOA1 hard copies

12/09/2017 Received Biometrics Appointment Letter (for i-485 and i-765)

12/21/2017 Biometrics Appointment

01/08/2018 **I-765 and I-131 Approved** (61 days)

01/16/2018 %%Received combo card%% (tracking shows USCIS sent it on Jan 11 from MO, then Jan 15 USPS closed for MLK day) 

01/20/2018 Received approval letters for EAD and AP

09/20/2018 Received text 'Interview was scheduled' and interview notice will be mailed

09/27/2018 Received Interview notice by mail

10/25/2018 Interview day

10/26/2018 I-485 case status updated to "We ordered your new card"

10/29/2018 Case Status updated to "We approved your Form I-485"

10/31/2018 Case Status updated to "We mailed your new card"

11/01/2018 My card was picked up by the USPS with tracking number assigned

11/05/2018 Green Card Received 

Side note: I turned my maiden name into second middle name. In the combo card, my given name is First Firstmiddleinitial, however on the back of the card, they attempted to list my second middle name. 

My application package:

Interview Experience:

On 1/16/2018 at 10:32 PM, deerefanatic said:

OK. That's good to know. For bank account, once we have a signed marriage license, it shouldn't be too hard to get an SSN for her to put her on my accounts, right?

She doesn't need SSN for bank account, they will ask for I-20 instead. Additionally, she will have right to apply for SSN only after you start Adjustment of status process. 

I'm on F-1 visa and got married to a permanent resident. We sent bank statement that showed that we have common account and leasing contract. We also sent our pictures of proposal, some family gathering, and finally wedding. It was done just to show that our relationship has some history. But for the marriage we were asked only for IDs, they didn't even check my visa or etc. We are in Texas, btw.

On 1/18/2018 at 9:43 PM, Clotilda said:

She doesn't need SSN for bank account, they will ask for I-20 instead. Additionally, she will have right to apply for SSN only after you start Adjustment of status process. 

Actually, with F1 she is allowed to have an SSN.

On 1/16/2018 at 11:32 PM, deerefanatic said:

I think she should have an SSN or she missed the first day of orientation. The first thing I had to do when I got to university with the F1 is get a SSN. They got someone from the government to go to the university and we all had to do a line and get one. It was mandatory. I have a friend that missed the meeting and had to go to a shady area of the city to get the SSN. 

Edited by Coco8

38 minutes ago, Coco8 said:

Actually, with F1 she is allowed to have an SSN.

I think she should have an SSN or she missed the first day of orientation. The first thing I had to do when I got to university with the F1 is get a SSN. They got someone from the government to go to the university and we all had to do a line and get one. It was mandatory. I have a friend that missed the meeting and had to go to a shady area of the city to get the SSN. 

Well, no. F1 students can obtain SSN after they are granted work permit. But you can’t get SSN just because you got into University. That’s by law. So, I don’t really know what you are talking about.

6 minutes ago, Clotilda said:

Well, no. F1 students can obtain SSN after they are granted work permit. But you can’t get SSN just because you got into University. That’s by law. So, I don’t really know what you are talking about.

No, I got a SSN the first day on campus. I had a fellowship. Every F1 student is allowed to work part-time on campus (not out of campus). 

17 minutes ago, Coco8 said:

No, I got a SSN the first day on campus. I had a fellowship. Every F1 student is allowed to work part-time on campus (not out of campus). 

An F-1 student will need certification letters from the DSO and the employer. The student must present these letters to officials at the local Social Security Administration office to get a Social Security numberhttps://www.ice.gov/sevis/employment#_1_2

that’s how you can get a SSN as an international student.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
20 hours ago, Coco8 said:

I came to the US in 2007 as a graduate student and attended  the meeting with the person who would help us obtain a SSN. We were told that all sponsored students could not apply for a SSN until we had a job offer. Eventually I obtained a part time job on campus the following year and had to request the SSN at their office. However, I had to show proof and documentation of the job offer. Bottom line is not all international students obtain SSN at the beginning of their studies.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to AOS from Work, Student &Tourist Visas, from Student and Exchange Visas - The OP will be following this path.~~

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.