sandy303

divorce waier/ I-751/ difficult case/help

7 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I have been reading on VJ for a long time and now I decided to write here so I can get some help, some opinions, anything.

I met my ex husband in 2014 , fell in love , started the K1 processs and got married in 2015. things went downhill horribly. he had anger issues, he was dealing with addiction and he became verbally and phisically abusive. never in a million years I thought he would ever become the man he had become. his family knew about what was going on they tried to send him to get help with his issues but since it was a deeply religious family everything got sugarcoated and put under the rug. i had no one, i thought i had his familys support but they teamed up and started accusing me as im only hear for green card purposes. which is horrible to say since everyone knew what was going and behind closed doors, how horribly everything was. i was brainwashed i was told i will end up in jail and deported if i calll the cops and i did not know about any option for me back then,,, i long story short the leader of the church helped me escape and i was staying at friends in anothr state since i had no money to go home at that point. i filed for divorce and less than a year from that point our divorce was finalized. now i am close to the deadline, the 90 day window. I have to file the I 751 but i am facing many difficulties here. i am out of the country right know. visiting my family. 

first of alll I dont know if I should file I 751 as the marriage was entered in good faith but ended with divoce or file as I was abused.  I am honestly scared, I havent had any communication with my ex and i am terrified what if i telll uscis about abuse and he will know about it and as he always told me he will get me in trouble since he has money he willl not ever get in trouble but me.  I have pictures of us together, bunch of emails, unfortunately when i left him i had to disappear because i didnt want him to find me so i ended good friendships with mutual friends because of him. so they only know his story as oh i just ran off... which is totally false. and where i lived with friends i had some arguements with one person there and she told me oh she will contach my ex husband they will report me and get me deported.. things she d say out of anger but im not sure if it happened. i have plenty of pictures of th abuse, video recordings of him.. basically admitting he hurt me and hes sorry etc. I thought abouut staying home and abandoning my green card but i have ambitions and i dont want to be destroyed by someone so evil meanwhile he is living his life all happy. 

also i am sure he filed taxes i just dont know if he filed married joinlty or seperately but i didnt sign any documents ... i myself didnt file since i wasnt working. this years gonna be the first year im going to file since i worked last year but i was divorced by then.

so yea the evidences i have:

-pictures, emails from the beginning of the relationship up until i escaped (some real nasty email from him after  i left him as well)

-I can go to the bank ask for bank statements ( we had a joint bank account, he was the primary card holder and i had my own card but he had access to it )

- i can go to irs ask for tax copies or see how he filed

- my personal statement

I know its not much and i am very devistated i wasnt more cautious before. i never thpught we d end up the way we are with him so it was a horrible time of my life. I am looking for the time i can get back on my feet and this chapter wuld be the fnal chapter so i can leave the past behind me. 

also i am dealing with health issued and i got fired due to taking too much time off so now im unemployed im hoping to have a I 751 fee waiver approvd. i will attach bank statements , charity care approval form and a written explanation that im going thru financial hardship.

what do you guys think about my story? hopefully there is some ppl out there who is going or went thru the same . 

also the personal statements have to be handwritten or typed in on a computer? 

thank you so much for any replies in advance.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Why do you want to come back?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Without a current job, getting fired from your last job, and no job history prior to your last job, you're going to have a difficult time making it in the US by yourself. Based on the little evidence you have in proving a bonafide marriage, you might want to hire an attorney to complete the i-751. That costs money too. And if you're going to do i-751 based on VAWA then you definitely want to hire an attorney. As you try to do all of these things at once, you might get caught in some type of downward financial spiral.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

If you are asking what do we think about your chances of ROC then I can personally say that you entered the marriage sincerely and you could be successful going through it with a divorce waiver. 

But it seems you have a lot of hardship ahead of you if you return to the US. Health issues, no job, no family... where are you living in the US?

You can hand write personal statements but it will probably be best to type and print them out so they can be universally legible.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
45 minutes ago, sandy303 said:

i have ambitions and i dont want to be destroyed by someone so evil meanwhile he is living his life all happy

Little jealousy here.  If this is difficult for you here then back home might be better suited for your situation.  You need good financial support, job etc to pay for the legal help and your expenses.  As NuestraUnion suggested, you could be successful with going through it with a divorce waiver.

07/27/17 - K1 packet sent at the end of day.

07/31/17 - NOA1

03/22/18 - NOA2

08/28/18 - expected date for medical completion - Sputum test was needed

09/22/18 - anticipated interview date

6 minutes ago, NuestraUnion said:

If you are asking what do we think about your chances of ROC then I can personally say that you entered the marriage sincerely and you could be successful going through it with a divorce waiver. 

But it seems you have a lot of hardship ahead of you if you return to the US. Health issues, no job, no family... where are you living in the US?

You can hand write personal statements but it will probably be best to type and print them out so they can be universally legible.

thanks for your cmment. I live with frends. without their support it would have been real hard. ever harder than it is already.  iI never wanted to live in th US but I gave up my job, my family my everythig for my ex husband. and then started all over again n the US so I believe his behavior and how abusive and horrible his ways were shouldnt determine someones future and succeed in ruining me as he said " im an eagle and you arejust a sad little bird who will fly home where she came from".. I want to prove it for myself that altho horrible thinngs happened I can get back on my feet again and im not who he thinks i am. 

6 minutes ago, NoProblem said:

Little jealousy here.  If this is difficult for you here then back home might be better suited for your situation.  You need good financial support, job etc to pay for the legal help and your expenses.  As NuestraUnion suggested, you could be successful with going through it with a divorce waiver.

not so much jealousy but being told for long mnths how i am nothig without him and i should just die. i d really like to prove it to myself that i can be strong and have a life as Me. , thank you for your reply. :) 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.